“Dirty rooms, lots of noise”

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #37 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
NC
“Dirty rooms, lots of noise”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

I really don't know why this hotel gets all the great reviews. The only good thing was the beach view-which honestly you can get anywhere in Myrtle beach.
I can look past the dilapidated state of the rooms and the disappointing pools (the lazuy river barely moved at all). But I can't look past two things.
First, the rooms are extremely dirty. Dust has accumulated under the beds in such large amounts, the color of the carpet was not visible anymore. I also found gum stuck in my fridge. Since I have dust allergies I didn't sleep at all, fighting asthma attacks and a sinus headache all night. Horrible!
Second, the airplanes come over so close that my children ducked with fear every single time. Don't believe other reviewers who say it is not loud. It is VERY loud. The first I ducked for cover as well thinking it came down on us.
I will gladly pay more money next time than stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Allergictraveller
hsimon, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 29, 2011
Dear Past guest,

After reading your review, I am very disappointed that our accommodations were not to your satisfaction. We strive to accommodate our guests to the best of our abilities and I am sorry that we fell short in your expectations. There is not much we can do to control the noise from the airplanes. Being located in front of the airport does have it’s disadvantages. As for the condition of your room, I do apologize. We can’t control what goes on in the air above us, but we can control the cleanliness of our rooms. We want to thank you for staying with us and hope that in the future you will give us another chance to leave a lasing impression.

SMB Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
Monticello, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

We stayed at this resort from May 11th to May 15th, this was our first time to Myrtle Beach and I have to say it was great, we drove about 9hrs to get there and let me tell you it was a good feeling when we pulled in to the resort and it was way more than we had expected for the price, this beautiful resort for such low cost... wow.... is all we could say, when we checked in everyone was very friendly and very helpful,we stayed in the Cypress building, our room was nice and clean and we had a great view of the ocean, the beds were very comfortable, the pools were great, the beach was very clean and well taken care of. I would love to stay with Springmaid Beach Resort again.

Room Tip: Our room was perfect the way it was.
Dear Past Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am happy to hear that on your first stay in Myrtle Beach we fulfilled your expectations. Thank you for making us a part of your vacation and joining our family. We look forward to seeing you soon!

orangeville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a much deserved get away to Springmaid for 3 WONDERFUL nights. Believe me, I am a review addict before I book anything. I read the reviews before I booked Springmaid and found them to be mostly positive. The ones that are negative (each to their own) seem to be about pretty minor issues. The room was very large and comfortable........certainly not fancy, but tasteful and clean. Very quiet as well. Never in 3 days did we hear one sound out of any other room. We were surprised to see a full size fridge (with ice maker) in the room. Came in handy, though we didn't realize there was the ice machine until the day before we left. We ate the buffet breakfest one day which was $9.00 each. Typical buffet breakfast, but we enjoyed it. The omlette station was fantastic. The pier and the beach were incredible. I also liked the open feeling of the property compared to the cramped feeling of all the hotels that were jammed up close together on the main part of the strip. Close and handy to everything, yet more peaceful than the main area. Only one negative - no hot tub on the property which was disappointing as we enjoy a hot tub when we're relaxing. Please Springmaid, put in a hot tub!!

2 Thank luvhockeyOrangeville
Dear Past Guest,

We are absolutely thrilled to hear your much deserved get away was wonderful! You are correct in saying how we have an ‘open feeling’ atmosphere here at the resort. We are close and handy to everything but away from all that is busy. Thank you for making us a part of your vacation and joining our family. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Castlewood, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

We've been coming down to Myrtle Beach for years and have stayed at several hotels. Springmaid is always the one we come back to again and again. The location is great, the pier is fantastic,(where you'll find the serious fisher-folks) and the beach is not crowded, even in July, since it's a private beach south of the pier all the way down to the state park. Our most recent visit was our first spring visit to fish. In the past we've been down for the fall fishing and in mid summer for family vacation.
At one visit or another we've enjoyed the dining, the arcade building, the putt putt course the beach and pools. We always stay in the Live Oaks building because of the close proximity to the pier-fishing. Check-in is always easy and the ability to actually park at the building instead of across a busy street or even a block away is a big plus to me. The rooms are typical hotel rooms but they are large, well furnished and they are CLEAN, always clean, year after year- that is my number one criteria in a place to stay. The staff is courteous and helpful anytime we have needed anything. The overall feel of Springmaid is a quiet, relaxed, safe, fun place for a family vacation or a fishing trip.

Whatever our reason for visiting the Grand Strand, Springmaid is always our first choice because they are predictable- reasonably priced, well furnished rooms, very clean, and good customer service.

Room Tip: Book direct through the front office
1 Thank cowtime
hsimon, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Dear Past Guest,

What fantastic comments, thank you! It is always refreshing to hear that our return guests are always happy with our resort from the pier/beach to the cleanliness of the rooms. Thank you for continuing to be part of our family and we look forward to seeing you again.

Dayton, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

First let me start off with the positive:
My room was clean. Loved the full size fridge. The view from the balcony was decent. Had a great view of the pier and some of the ocean, but to be honest I didn't stay in the room much so it wasn't a deal breaker for me. The beach access was perfect. Just steps away from the beach and after taking walks up the beach it was clear that Springmaid's beach was better than the others down the strip. The pier was pretty neat too. A fisherman caught a shark when I was up on the pier which was interesting to watch.

Now for the negative:
Although free internet is advertised, it wasn't working part of our trip. Parking was horrendous. There was a craft show going on when I was staying so that took all the parking that was close to my room. I had to cart my luggage and coolers across the courtyard (which isn't small and is pretty much just sand) to my room. It would have been nice to know that there was going to be a craft show that would be taking up the parking during my stay. I doubt I would have chosen the hotel if I had known ahead of time. My building was less than to be desired. The hallway had an unpleasant odor and the carpets were stained and well past needing to be replaced. As for the customer service, I haven't ever experienced anything so awful. When making the reservation, I called to enquirer about how signing up for the breakfast worked. I was told by someone in the reservation department that if there were two of us we would have to just put "2" down to cover us for breakfast for our stay. I did this which added an additional fee to my reservation and continued on to payment. When I arrived, we were not given any breakfast tickets even though I was charged for at least one days worth for two people. When I came to the front desk the next morning I was told by a rather rude woman that I had never been charged for breakfast, I had never even signed up for it. I was also told that I would not be able to have a receipt with my charges listed. I was also told that management would be calling me regarding this and to no surprise I never was called. When I followed up the next day, Anthony at the front desk was able to fix the problem by supplying us with the appropriate tickets. Other than Anthony at the front desk I have never experienced such terrible customer service with a hotel. I will most certainly never be returning or recommending this place to anybody I care about. I'm sure people try to take advantage of the breakfast special, but it's incredibly frustrating when someone is being honest and was given incorrect information from the hotel itself.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank AudreyRN
Dear Past Guest,

Thank you so much for listing your positives and negatives on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you were not informed on the craft show that was going on during your trip. I’m not sure what building you were in, but we would have gladly moved you to a different building so you would not have been inconvenienced carting your luggage and coolers across the courtyard. I am truly sorry for the way you were treated about inquiring about the breakfast tickets you purchased and the incorrect information you were given. Had all this been brought to me attention, I would have addressed it immediately while you were still on the property. Again, we do apologize and hope that this incident doesn’t dissuade you from visiting us in the future.

Rochester, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2011

Springmaid Beach Resort was GREAT! I loved everything about it! It was on the edge of town, had great amenities such as mini golf, arcade, exercise room, private beach, private pier, 2 restaurants, plenty of pools/lazy river to cool off in! The Staff was very helpful with Directions and recommendations for the best dining. Rooms were nicely updated and had a full size fridge and microwave in each room. Every room has an ocean view and balcony with table and chairs which was wonderful! In general Myrtle Beach is a great area, easy to get around, lots of great shopping and dining and things to do. If I am ever in the area again, which I hope to be, i would definitely stay at Springmaid Beach resort again and I am going to tell all my friends about it!

Room Tip: Every room has an ocean view
Dear Past Guest,

Thank you so much for your GREAT comments! We take pride in what we have to offer each and every guest that stays with us from the multiple pools, restaurants, golf and arcade, private pier, but most of all, the ocean view! We thank you for staying with us and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Stone Mountain, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

This is a great resort. The staff really appreciates the guests and do everything they can to make your stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for East facing room so you can watch the sun
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
hsimon, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, May 13, 2011
Dear Past Guest,

Thank you so much for the terrific comment! We are constantly working on improving our property through room improvements to customer service, so it’s always wonderful to hear that our efforts have paid off. Looking forward to seeing you again!