“Stay Away...This Place Is A Dump!”

Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #167 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“Stay Away...This Place Is A Dump!”
Reviewed December 31, 2005

My husband and I booked a condo at the Sea Mist for our anniversary. After searching the internet, we agreed on the Sea Mist according to the website. The website makes this place look amazing, clean, beautiful....on arrival, we found out it is everything but that. There was black mold on the staircase up to our condo, the bottom of the door had been kicked in and damaged, therefore leaving a hole, there was rust on the appliances, the bathrooms were nasty, moldy, and they stunk horribly! They claimed to have "remodeled", but they did nothing but put down hardwood floors. We were first interested in staying here because they do accept pets in some rooms, however, upon checking in and witnessing the nightmare, we checked out immediately. If you are looking for a CLEAN, fairly new place that accepts pets, do not stay here. This place is an absolute dump. We ended up staying at the Sheraton, much better place and they do take pets.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
Prince George, Virginia
Reviewed December 19, 2005

The Hotel was not fancy but it was an excellent price for someone like me that can't afford vacations on the beach. We had a nice jacuzzi suite on the beach for the price of some of the other hotels regular rates for a regular room across the street from the beach. The hotel offered so many things to do with our package deal that we didn't have time to catch everything. We honestly did not want to leave. Usually, after two nights we are wishing we would have just stayed home because we spent would spend a lot of money and was disappointed. This was the best vacation my family has had in years.

Stayed August 2005
12 Thank Slouk
SC
Reviewed December 9, 2005

We stayed at an ocean front room for 50 bucks Dec.2-4 for a baseball tourney. We loved the balcony where we could watch our son and his buddies playing on the beach below. Room was clean, mattresses need to be replaced and saw no bugs. Indoor pool was fine and the front desk helpful. This is not a 5 star so for a romantic getaway keep searching there are so many other pretty hotels on the beach. Great for families on a budget. We had a great time here.

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank tirish723

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Switzerland
Reviewed October 31, 2005

We are a family with two children (8,5) and booked at Sea Mist because of the water park, play ground and the very nice pictures on their homepage. Even I've red the voting with a lot of warnings we decided to give it a try.
Let's start with the rooms.
We stayed in the sandcastle building which seems to be an older one. As many of the reviewers said - the rooms are somehow OK but you always get the feeling to wash your hand after touching something. The balcony was a joke. The kitchenette was OK but why don't they fix the furniture? The chairs were old and haggled.
The elevator and the stairways are just dirty and it smells like it looks.
The biggest disappointment was the "heated" water park - just because - it was not heated. This is not a problem during summertime but in October it's an issue. Even the water park was not heated they charge you with 3 $ per person . Why would you go in someone would ask. If you have children and you promised them something - they demand it - so, we went in.
The water park itself is not that bad but definitely something for smaller children (up to 7).
Fortunately, we only booked for three days because of the reviews on this page and moved to another hotel just three blocks away. We paid less there for more.
I know that people are different - but rate this resort with five stars seems to be very strange.

• Stayed October 2005
15 Thank Seppy1968
Reviewed October 16, 2005

My wife and I stayed at Sea Mist Oct-8 thru 15th 2005 it was great and very clean will go again next year. Ohio

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
amma,WV
Reviewed September 26, 2005

Me and six members of my family stayed at the sea mist from sept.19-25. Great place for kids pools were clean and well kept. We had three rooms two in the tides one in the driftwood. All rooms were nice and clean except for mine witch was on the first floor of the tides. The room had a nasty smell to it and was infested with roaches. The mattresses are very soft if not broken and need replacing. You could not set outside on the decks or the balconys without roaches crawling over your feet. The staff was well dressed and very nice. We enjoyed the lighthouse lounge in the evenings the food and entertainment was great. Pending the solution of the roach, elevator, and mattress, problem I would give the sea mist one more chance. But I would definitely stay on the upper floors of the tides or driftwood.

• Stayed September 2005
9 Thank WVJs
Reviewed September 22, 2005

This was not our first time staying @ the Sea Mist. We had stayed there twice in 2 years. It will be our last and I hope that this review will help you avoid the mistake we had made. Some say in other reviews it is not the ritz.
To some extent this is true. Not everything is bad @ the sea Mist. The most important are though. After having our problems during our vacation, it seams as if the problems are being ignored. From what I can see, The place is indeed infested with roaches. they acted as if it was something new, but if you read other reviews from months prior you will see what i mean. We had stayed there from the 2oth of august through the 26th. Our vaction started with us staying at the SandCastle building. This building should really be inspected By the health department. If the rooms are being cleaned everyday there is no reason to have mold buildup in the bathrooms. I thought after a long day driving i would relax and take off my shoes. To my surprise they sweep, but they do not mop the floors. My socks were black by the end of the night. I fould several live roaches in my room and they were very large. If you want to enjoy your balcony or patio, you better do it during the day. They are loaded with roaches to. I asked to be moved to another room. They wanted to give me a ocean view instead of a ocean front with no offer of a rebate. The woman @ the office said the bugs are all over thew place at night by the office?????( she called them water bugs) Maintencae came to spray and identified what i had caputured as a german brew roach( Steve). He also mentioned that there was poor house keeping in our room, since he pulled out thr fridge and cleaned up all the old food from previous guest. I left my room lights on most of the time in hopes that they would stay in hiding. I once woke around 2:00Am to use the rest room to only be visited by a roach the size of my thumb. Its no wonder why they have roaches with the way the hall ways are not taken care of. The utility closet where house keeping is littered with trash and are very dirty. They don't bother to close the doors so their guest dont have to look at it. The pool also looked as if it was not well taken care of. The ceramic tile at the water line was coated with scum. The water pressure in the shower almost not enough to take a shower. The bath floor where the tub meets the floor tile was coated in mold. As the same with the bathroom sink around the outer edge. The bottom floor lighting was inadequate, It was very dark by the parking lot. Our last night we spent in the Tides room. What a big difference in rooms and buildings. You would have thought either it was under different management or ownership. The room was very clean and smelled fresh and clean. I have sent them a letter with concern and have not recieved the time of day. Your children will love the water parks and other things. It should not be traded for a safe clean healthy enviroment. I give this place a rating of 1, poor management and obvious the owner does not car about his customers. I only wish I would have taken pictures so you could view the hole that the Sea mist has become.

• Stayed August 2005