“Excellent for the money”

Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #175 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Chichester, NH
Reviewed August 26, 2004

We just returned from a 5 day trip to the Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort in Myrtle Beach. We were 2 sets of grandparents taking our 11 year old grandson on vacation. Awesome! We had a wonderful time. Everything was clean and all the staff was extremely helpful. Since we cleaned our own room daily, we did not request any maid service. Yet, even though they were not receiving a tip, when we returned to our room at the end of the day, we had a surprise waiting for us with clean towels, more toilet paper and additional shampoo etc. We never had to request anything! Obviously we tipped well at the end of our time. We were so pleased. Most people are correct in saying it is not the Hilton. We too have stayed in much better places. But never have we stayed in such a nice place for the money we paid! We had 3 golfers who golfed everyday at beautiful courses for nothing! We also did the Amusement Park and Water Park several times for nothing! We will go again and we will stay at the Sea Mist Resort!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Euclid, ohio
Reviewed August 25, 2004

We have been going to the Sea Mist since 2000
every year it gets better and better this year we stayed 5 nights and next year we plan on staying 8 to 10 nights excellent staff , even though we ran into the hurricane it was still great my wife and our children look forward to next year and we will return to the sea mist. Also our friends came this year and they had a great time they will also be back next year. Keep up the great work sea mist see you next august.

• Stayed: August 2005
baltimore, md
Reviewed August 18, 2004

I just returned from my family vacation at Sea Mist. Before I left I made the mistake of reading some of the reviews posted on this site, in regards to Sea Mist.
First let me say, I am no stranger to traveling. I have been to five star resort, and I have been to some that I would not go back to.
If you have children and you want a place that will entertain them, this is the place to go.
The on site water park is perfect for your children, my 35 year old husband even enjoyed it. My children are 5, 9, and 11. They all LOVED it!
I will admit the rooms are not fancy, but since there was so much to do we did not sit in the room. It was clean, but, not fancy. The staff are very nice, and parking was the best I have seen at any resort.
We had the family package, and I would highly recomend it. We went to the amusement park for free. There were plenty of rides for all ages.
I also recomend the magic show. It inclded a dinner, and a really nice show. The kids talked about it all the way home.
The restaurant and ice cream parlor on the grounds were great, and the property was clean, as well as their pools. I also felt very safe walking around the resort.
I will go back there again, and I will stay at Sea Mist, except this time I will stay longer :)

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Louisville, KY
Reviewed August 17, 2004

We stayed at the Sea Mist July 27-31. If you are normally stay at Holiday Inn or Red Roof Inn odds are you will be pleased. If you normally stay at Embassy Suites, Mariott or the Hyatt, etc. you will probably be disappointed. I stayed in a remodeled room in the Spray building. It was okay. Not good not bad. The best description I can give is a large Holiday Inn room with a kitchenette. The Sea Mist is so big and they don't have the staff to five the hotel personal attention.

Cleaniness-Our only real problem was a blood stained sheet on the Murphy Bed. When we called the front desk they ask us to come and get sheets. Long story short, they never brought the sheets we got a $50 credit.

Waterpark- It has one big slide. If you have children under 8 they will enjoy the waterpark for hours. If you have older children they will get bored quick.

Pictures- Don't go by the pictures on the website. The resort may have looked like that 25 years ago but it does not look like that now. They were celebrating 75 or 50 years of service and in my opinion you could tell.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Gastonia, North Carolina
Reviewed August 11, 2004

We visited the Sea Mist in July of 2004. We paid for an oceanfront suite and had two teenagers with us. When we arrived in the room, our girls were excited and began to unpack. My daughter went to put some things in the bathroom and not knowing where the light was, she slipped and fell hitting her arm on the bathtub. She did not fall because of the light but because of the huge amount of water in the floor that had leaked from the upstairs room. We called security and made a report and they said that they would get maintenance to stop the leak. When we got back in our room that evening, I went into the bathroom and part of the ceiling had fell, leaving behind some nasty looking stuff. They moved us promptly to another room...not ocean front. When we asked about a partial refund from having to move to another room, they refused. The free tickets to the water park and the amusement park were great...all except for my daughters arm was so bruised that the rides hurt her too much to ride. We went to the park 2 nights out of 6 and only rode two rides. Not once did anyone call to see if she was okay or offer us anything for our trouble. You would think that they would have offered a partial refund but everytime that we tried to talk to a manager, we were told that he couldn't be found. Don't even get me started on the condition of the rooms. Email me if you would like to see the pictures..I'll show them to anyone and tell them to go somewhere else!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 9, 2004

We just returned from Myrtle Beach and the Sea Mist on Sunday, August 8th. I was somewhat afraid due to the reviews I had read. However, I know someone that just went two weeks ago and said their son loved it. I was not looking for 4 star accomodations, so I must say I was pleasantly suprised. We were able to check in right at 3:00. I had requested a oceanside studio room in either the Sandcastle or Dunes buildings (I had done some research and found on another review that these buildings had already been updated.) We were provided with a room in the Sandcastle building. I will agree that some of the elevators and corridors smell bad, but it was not unbearable. I personally did not like the tile floors in our room because they seemed to be slippery when wet. We made it through, though, with no falls. The housekeeper did come to our room each day. She mopped, made the beds, emptied the trash and brought fresh towels. She did not clean the tub, which I found a little disappointing. We loved that there was a kitchen since it is hard to find rooms for $108 with a kitchen and everything else from the Family Value pack. The grounds were kept nice around most of the pools and play areas, but some did need some updating. We loved the arcade and the Misty Falls golf. It is a small course with only 9 holes that you play through twice using different colors holes. However, it has a waterfall and water features that go throughout it. It was included with our package, so we played twice. There are other golf places in town, but they are still only putt putt, so you are paying for the extra water falls, pirate ships, etc. Not really worth it. We also really liked the water park on site. Not as big as I had hoped, and the water was very cold on the large slide, but it had a great lazy river and children's play area. That was also included with our package, so we went there twice. The Castle in the Mist play area was very nice. My husband and I also like to play on these, but this one was set up for really small people. We made it through once with some effort. We did not make it to the Family Kingdom waterpark, but my son has vowed we will do so next time. The Family Kingdom amusement park is great, especially for small children. Had I payed the $20 all ride fee for all of us, I may not say the same thing, but this was included in our package. It has all of the usual rides, including a roller coaster, ferris wheel, swings, etc. All in all, I would say that our experience at the Sea Mist was better than I expected. We plan to return next year. If you are wanting a REALLY nice fancy hotel, than this is not the place for you. However, if you want a great place for your family, then I say give it a try. Don't you spend most of your time at the pool, beach or other activities anyway?

2  Thank ssdeverell
Reviewed August 4, 2004

After reading several negative reviews about this resort I was hesitant about going but once there I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. We stayed in the Palms building overlooking the small waterpark and pool. The kids loved the pool and waterpark and I was able to watch them from my balcony. The room was very roomy, nice decor, could have been a little cleaner but nothing to complain about. Each bedroom (there were 2)had a TV, which I was happy about because the kids could play their X box games on one and I could watch movies on the other (we brought our own X box of course). The kitchenette was nice. Nice tile floors in bath and harwood floors in the rooms.
The stairwell and elevator were a little smelly but that's because of all the water, sand, chlorine etc...
If you stay in one of the buildings closer to the beach, I could see how some people would complain. It was very congested in that area near the gift shop. The only disappointment about the beach was it didn't have a boardwalk. I loved the fact that you could swim in any one of the building's pools and they were all nice, clean and shaped for fun. For the price we paid which included the small amusement park and another water park, you can't beat this resort. It was great family fun. There is also alot to do in the area such as the Nascar Race Track. My boys loved it!

2  Thank Debra H