“Horrible!!”

Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #176 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I would NOT recommend this hotel. when I called to book was told everything beach side was open, only thing closed was waterpark. Upon arrival a lot of beachside stuff was closed for repairs and upkeep. Stayed in the Spray Building. terribly outdated. As my daughter said you would think they would out a little of the money they make back into the rooms. elevator was dirty and stunk, we felt like we had to search our rooms for bugs! The beds were horrible. I cant even guess how old the mattresses were. The balcony was tiny, shouldn't have even been called a balcony. Very noisy. Was anything but a restful peaceful stay. Please do yourself a favor a stay clear of the sea Mist. I read reviews and thought how bad can it be.... oh boy! That bad!!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ldavis3574
Write a ReviewReviews (2,449)

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My family and I just got back from staying at the Sea Mist and this will probably be the only time that I will ever stay with them. It is very outdated. We had to keep asking them to sweep and mop our bunglow. Within 10 minutes after walking across the floor our socks were filthy. The beds were horrible. My entire family complained of back pain from sleeping on those beds. We had someone tell us about this place because they allowed pets to stay. They finally sent a maid to clean the room and she was great. That is really the only plus that I can say about this place. I had read the reviews before we left and thought "It can't be that bad." The reviews were right. They need to update this place. I know that it is Fall, but come on they had already shut down the lazy river and everything else. They could have waited until the end of October.

Room Tip: Best Tip don't stay here>
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My family and I made reservations to stay at the SeaMist for our teenage kids' Fall Break. After driving all the way from Tennessee, we were ready to go to bed when we checked in at about 10:00 pm. Walking into the Spray Building, one would think it was a dungeon. Flickering lights, stinky carpet, and filthy walls were our first impressions. When we finally found our room, we had to walk an extra two flights of stairs (with 7 suitcases and my elderly mother-in-law) because the elevator didn't reach our floor. When we reached out actual suite, we were shocked. The smell of funk was overwhelming. Upon closer inspection we found dirty toilets, holes in the ceiling, chip crumbs
all over the floor, huge bugs everywhere, dirt caked on the kitchen appliances, moldy sinks, and broken furniture. Not to mention, our walk-out balcony was no more than a small window with a view of the ocean. We called a week in advance to verify our room and we asked specifically if we had a balony. The answer was yes.
We stayed at the SeaMist for 20 minutes and then we left. However, the woman working The front desk was very understanding and gave us our money back. Luckily, we found another place to stay, but it wasn't oceanfront. Shame on the SeaMist!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Absolutely horrible, never go back again, it was outdated, rooms were in a bad condition. Could not have a good night sleep, because of screaming people hanging out until deep in the night. we left earlier and will never come back again!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We booked with Sea Mist because the price was right, but next time I'll spend an extra $50 a night and stay at a nicer hotel. I didnt think the hotel would matter to much because we were only sleeping there, but I've learned the hotel really makes an impact on your stay. As we were chcking in, the lady at the front desk didn't greet us with a smile or really make us feel welcome. We didn't think anything of it and went to our room. The room was very out dated, very old appliances, the walls were the same rugged walls that are on the outside of the hotel, and the front windows are from floor to ceiling so you feel like you're on a store front display. (We ended up going and buying a sheet to throw over the bed. I'm suprised we DIDN'T see any bugs during our stay) Within 5 minutes of being in the room, we also noticed the knob on the bathtub was broken. The actual plastic knob was stripped so you could turn the knob left or right all you want but it wasn't changing the temperature of the water, there was NO hot water!!

I immediately called the front desk, and after them insulting my intelligance they said they would call maintnence to come and fix it. We decided to leave and came back 5 hours later to find maintnence never came! The tub was still broken, there was still no hot water. I called the front desk again and the lady was very rude to me on the phone. She said she would call maintence again. Not once did they even suggest moving me to another room, so I called right back and I asked how soon mainence will come and explained we drove for 12 hours in a car and we just want a hot shower. They lady on the phone said she doesn't know maintnences schedule in a very rude tone! So I asked if we could get moved to another room, and she transfered me without saying a word. The man that answered was a little nicer but he told me they don't have any other rooms that are the same type as mine that are available. Almost all the rooms on my floor were empty during our entire stay!! I know this because they keep the curtains wide open when the rooms are empty. I ended up somewhat fixing the bathtub knob my self that night. Maintnence had never come during out entire stay.

The location of the hotel wasn't bad if all you care about is the beach. The hotel is right there on the beach, but so far from anythign else. You need to drive to get to the boardwalk. We tried walking to the boardwalk the first night, it took us an hour just to reach the beginning of the boardwalk, and another half hour to reach anything of interest. We were so tired when we were ready to walk back, and we were dead by the time we got back to the hotel. It's a good thing we did walk though because there is NO parking at night. If you leave during the day and come back to the hotel or night, you're going to have to park a block or two away at another one of SeaMist's parking lots. I expected much better from such a large resort, but Sea Mist was truely our only bad experience about our trip. I wouldn't recommend staying here. Spend a few extra a night and stay somewhere a little more comfortable, with nicer employees who know customer service.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dsmith389
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We checked in Oct 4th and out Oct 6th. Room was O.K. but it took 3 people to find our room. which was facing the garage. I requested an ocean front room. What I got was palm trees. Yes it is pet friendly. The trouble is the owner of a pet left poop on the wall right at our door. No one in cleaning removed the poop. So I smelled poop the 2 days we were there. The only sink was in the bathroom. The floor was filthy with dirt and sand. I was so sick of smelling dog feces and urine every time I went outside of my room. I been to Myrtle Beach many times and stayed at different hotels. I have never been so glad to leave one place in all my life. If my husband had not been with me I would have left there and they would have gotten a piece of my mind. It was nothing like they advertised. Never and I mean never will I ever stay there again. Really disgusted with this place. It ruined my whole stay Shame on you Sea Mist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katherine T
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My husband and i went for the first weekend of september. We were very nervous about our stay after reading reviews. The check-in staff was friendly, and every staff member we walked by did not neglect to greet us. We stayed in the palms building on the first floor. The room was spotless and the sheets were clean. the only room complaints we had was the location of the a/c unit(back of the room) and the bed was hard. Nothing fancy but clean. Breakfast was to die for and there are lots of activities on the campus of the resort. The driftwood building on the ocean side looked gorgeous. We went in the sandcastle building and it was sort of smelly. The two small buildings on the back side of the ocean side of the strip looked kind of ruff but everything on the waterpark side looked good structure wise. We liked the fact that the floors werent carpet so that you can see that they are clean. The location is very convenient and the underground tunnel is neat. We didnt have any issues as far as parking was concerned. No bugs, rats etc. We were impressed with Sea Mist and we will be returning. Tip to avoid burglary issues others are experiencing: leave the do not disturb sign on the door. Fun resort.

Room Tip: Choose Palms or driftwood. Driftwood is newer and very pretty at night. Palms is the larger building...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple