“Luxurious, Excellent Staff, 5 STAR Commitment”
Review of Island Vista

Island Vista
Ranked #7 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
rochester, new york
“Luxurious, Excellent Staff, 5 STAR Commitment”
Reviewed July 29, 2007

This resort is an island of its own. These rooms are very spacious and have much to offer. With the granite counter tops, and comtemporary appeal this resort offers as much luxurious accomodations as any embassy or four seasons resort/hotel. I have stayed at many places within Myrtle Beach but nothing yops the island vista. The pools were excellent. The lazy pool was relaxing w/o all of the worries of being sun burned. It is located also at the most prestigious and upscaled part of myrtle beach. The receptionist s/ and front desk staffdisplayed meaningful " southern hospitality". I and my family were very welcomed. This resort displays moral and ethical conduct as well. I would not consider staying anywhere else but at the Island Vista.

• Liked — Luxury
  • Disliked — Parking Ramp
2 Thank mellyt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2007

Our family of four stayed at the Island Vista Resort from July 8th to the 15th in an oceanfront suite with one bedroom, a full kitchen (nice appliances), and a very handy murphy bed/dining table combo in the living room. The suite felt brand new and (very importantly) had no odours. The 9th floor view of the ocean was amazing. The mattresses, pillows, and linens were very cozy and we all slept very well. Not to mention, the suite was quiet and you couldn’t even hear the roar of the ocean. You could barely hear a passing thunder storm. No squeaky doors or floors (we notice this stuff because our two year old sleeps much longer than the rest of us). The air conditioning was vented from a unit somewhere inside the suite, so it was much quieter than the noisy units you typically find by the window in a hotel room. Missing from our suite were plates, bowls, and dishwasher detergent, but hotel staff promptly gave us what we needed upon request ...no problem. The washer and dryer was a huge bonus as we were able to have clean laundry before leaving for our next vacation destination (hotel did not supply laundry detergent, we just bought our own). Note that there are no ice machines on the floors so you can’t fill up your cooler before heading for the beach... the amazing beach...

The resort is located in what appears to be a quiet residential area (away from the busy main strip) with no hotels around for at least a 1/4 mile on either side, so the beach is not crowded at all. Watch out for the chair and umbrella rentals that are managed by the city’s lifeguards. Of course cost is relative, but I think 30 bucks a day for a couple of old soggy uncomfortable chairs is a rip off. We ended up buying a few beach chairs and an umbrella at walmart for about $40. The beach is beautiful, long, and shallow, but most of it is taken away during high tide. Boogie boarding was great with waves at about 2-5 feet. Water temps were in the 80s while air temps were in the 90s all week ...perfect!

Although we hung out at the beach most of the time, the outdoor pool area is beautiful with palm trees, two pools, and a large (really hot) hot tub. The indoor pool area has a small pool, wading area, hot tub, and lazy river. Was the pool water clean? It was slightly foggy. Honestly, I’m not sure what that means, but hey ...nobody in our family became ill. I did see staff come by to test the water. I was more concerned about the outdoor Tiki bar being closed during the first few days of our stay ...it should have been open.

The restaurant on the main level is excellent. Food and service were top notch ...thanks Terry for being so gracious. Just a tip for anyone that needs a coffee first thing in the morning, go down to the restaurant and the hostess will give you one to go ...and bring your cup back for free refills. Excellent coffee too.

Parking worked out well for us. We travelled with a rooftop box on our SUV and I was concerned that I would need to take if off since the parking garage only has a clearance of 6'9". Fortunately, there was parking in front of the hotel for larger vehicles and vehicles with rooftop boxes. There was also parking available across the street just in case the front lot was full, but we only needed to park there a couple of times.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the hotel is centrally located within Myrtle Beach, a short drive to shopping and all the attractions. There’s a large grocery store just a couple of blocks away if you plan on eating in. Traffic in the area was generally good.

Only one big negative... Three elevators shared by guests, luggage, beach toys, and service staff. One elevator broke down the day we left. If you wanted to go down, you had to get on the up elevator, otherwise you’d never get down. Tempers were flaring. I hope they resolved that one quickly.

In general, the hotel felt very laid back given it’s grand size. It was near capacity, if not full, but yet it didn’t seem busy. I never ran into a line up at the front desk. Staff was always warm and friendly. We looked into a few of the other large resort hotels at Myrtle and although some were nice, they just didn’t compare. The Island Vista was the perfect fit for us in every respect and we are planning to go back again next year ...and YES, it was worth the 16+ hour drive.

• Liked — The suite and location.
  • Disliked — No ice machines on each floor.
4 Thank Muraniml
trumbauersville
Reviewed July 24, 2007

My family stayed here for 2 weeks in july it was worth the money.I have stayed at the sea watch for 11 years and wanted to try somewhere else.I am glad i did we stayed in a 2 bebroom condo it was big and very clean. The housekeepers do a great job. The beach was never to crowed like it is at other resorts. Try the resturant for breakfast it is the best..Chris at the front desk is a young guy who will go the extra mile for you if you need anything ask for him.My sister was staying in north myrtle beach and when she came to visit us she was blown away they tried to get a condo to stay and get their money back but couldn't. We are booking another 2 weeks here I won't stay anywhere else. The rooms are decorated nice with tile and granite and big bathrooms and we had a tv in every room.They keep the pools clean to and the indoor pool area is great.

• Liked — the location and the condo
  • Disliked — the parking garage is tricky
1 Thank zero76
NY
Reviewed July 23, 2007

This was my second trip to the resort and liked it a lot. However, they need to imprive the housekeeping. They would take the dish cloth and dish towel and not give you a new one. Also, they would not refill the coffee filters that were used. Otherwise, was a good stay.

Stayed July 2007
Kentucky
Reviewed July 21, 2007

We visited the Island Vista the first week in June and we loved it! After reading reviews on Trip Advisor, I cancelled reservations I had at Dunes Village Resort and I am very glad I did. (My Mother-in-law and I walked down to the resort and both agreed that Dunes Village didn't begin to compare to Island Vista)
My husband, 2 children, Mother and Mother-in-law stayed in a 3 bedroom penthouse suite and had plenty of room to spare (my husband is very private and he commented that our master bedroom with the large bathroom was like having our own hotel room in itself). We are very particular and we found no faults with the Island Vista. The location is great! My husband normally hates to go to Myrtle Beach, but he enjoyed our stay as much as everyone else did. We decided this was the resort we will return to each year. The resort looks exactly like the pictures on the internet. I can't wait to visit the Island Vista next year!

• Liked — The spacious 3 bedroom suite with 3 bathrooms
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank melburn
Cincinnati
Reviewed July 17, 2007

My family and I stayed at the Island Vista last week (July 8th-15th). After staying in many hotels and condos in Myrtle Beach, we were spoiled by this wonderful resort. The pool area is large and was not crowded, even in the middle of July. They had plenty of chairs and a few umbrellas. The tiki bar was handy as you could order drinks or lunch and have it brought to where you were sitting. There is live music during the week and on the weekends, weather permitting. It was really nice listening to nice songs and looking at all the palm trees on their grassy area. There are all kinds of activities for the kids and rocking chairs in the shade for those who don't want to be out in the hot sun. There are also picnic tables . On Tues and Thurs, they offer a Family Grill NIght, where you can order ribs with silver queen corn and butter beans for only $9.95. They have a large grill on site where they grill the ribs and then prepare them in the Cypress Room restaurant. They melted in your mouth. The condos are very nice and large. We had 2, a one bedroom and a 2 bedroom. My only complaint was there wasn't a computer center in the lobby and the beach was "gone" with high tide. But with low tide, the beach was very wide. All one had to do was walk up or down the beach and see how secluded the area was with beautiful homes. I walked one day to the Dunes Village as I had thought about booking there, and after seeing its pool area, I was so glad I went with the Sea Island. It is much more tropical and much bigger at the Island Vista. We have also stayed at the Oceanfront Hampton and it just does not compare to the Vista. Believe me when I say, the Island Vista is the best !!!

• Liked — The pool area
  • Disliked — no computer center in lobby
1 Thank seasheller1
Michigan
Reviewed July 15, 2007

We stayed in a two bedroom suite; One bedroom with a king bed and the other with two queens, it was perfect for our family of 6. We had a wonderful oceanfront view. I loved that this resort isn't set in the Myrtle Beach Congestion. It's right centrally located so it's easy to get to various tourist spots. We really liked that there was residential homes on both sides of the resort so the beach was never super crowded. We rented beach chairs twice during our stay( this service isn't part of the resort but the lifeguards were friendly. Later in the day as we headed to the pool, we didn't have any problem finding chairs. Everyone we talked to at the resort: front desk, housekeeping, Tiki Bar Bartender, bellman were all friendly and helpful.

One comment I had read prior to our stay related to the parking garage, yes the parking spots are narrow but there are now mirrors so as you are approaching the turns on the ramp you can see if there is anyone else approaching.

I can definitely say that Island Vista will be the resort of choice for any future Mrytle Beach vacations.

• Liked — Beach, Balcony, View of the Ocean, Room Accomodations
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business