“Loved Island Vista!!!! Best stay ever at Myrtle Beach”
Review of Island Vista

Island Vista
Ranked #7 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed here last summer with our 3 kids ( 14, 12, 5) last summer and had a fabulous time. We have stayed at several MB hotels/condos and nothing has compared to Island Vista. We are returning again this summer and I can't wait!
The location is fabulous and the rooms are fantastic! Gorgeous views! The pool area is top-notch!!!! Pool bar and live music too!
The staff was very friendly as well. You will not be disappointed if you stay here!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Dansweetea
There are newer reviews for Island Vista

Reviewed January 20, 2009

My wife and I are considering buying in the Myrtle Beach area, either time share of direct property ownership. For that reason, we've decided to stay in a couple of different locations over several weekends. After shopping around for the best rates I booked 3 nights (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday ) at the Island Vista. Later, due to some weather concerns, I added a 4th night, Monday. The check-in and housekeeping staffs were professional, helpful and friendly. The reservation was booked in thru the hotel's Reservation Manager, Chris. During our stay there were some problems with the resturaunt. The usual wait-staff was courteous, friendly and very attentive. One of the nights the resturaunt manager was our waiter. Even tho we were told later he had 10 years of experience we couldn't tell. We got little to no attention, it took an extraordinary amount of time to even get our salads and the food came out cold. There was a forced gratuity of 18% on the bill which, after I complained, the hotel removed. The day before our scheduled checkout the weather where we lived was forcast to be very bad: snow, black ice and unusually cold. There were severe driving hazard warnings. I asked Chris (the on-duty Manager) if we could have a late check out (an additional hour) on the following day to be sure it would be safe to drive back. He declined my request stating it was against hotel policy to allow for any late check outs, that his housekeeping staff had to get in and clean rooms as he was short staffed and it was not in-season. I checked later to see if the room was booked for another or if they were full and badly needed the room only to learn there were so slow, they'd closed the resturaunt (without notifying the guests, by the way). The morning we were to check out, I checked again and even more weather was forcast for home so I made reservations to stay a couple of additional days at another hotel and checked out. When paying the bill I asked Chris why he'd declined my request and he said it simply wasn't allowed as his staff had to clean the rooms once they were vacated. I asked if he and the hotel considered the needs of their staff to be more important than the traveling safety of thier guests and his answer was:...............................YES. I know that sounds unbelievable but it's what he said. I was floored. He went on to say he'd given me a good discount and didn't understand why I was making such a big deal about my request for the one hour. I then asked if he felt discounting a rate meant discounting service and standard courtesy. I went on to say I felt so strongly about this I'd be making entries into TripAdvisor letting others know of my experience there and with him and he said: "Have at it!". So I"m "having at it" and letting readers know of our stay. Perhaps yours will be different. Perhaps it won't. Their staff is wonderful and the rooms good, but I will not stay in a place or spend my money where someone tells me and actually believes their booking is enough and the safety of guests and their families is secondary. I won't stay there and won't buy property there. There are some wonderful resorts in Myrtle Beach. For us, this wasn't one of them. If Island Vista holds us and our well-being in such low regard before we buy, what might it be like for us after the sale closes? Too chancy. I only asked for an hour.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
8  Thank enjoyinglife2
Reviewed January 20, 2009

We are looking to purchase a condo in one of the beach resorts in myrtel beach, so we decided that we would look during off season at several of the resorts in order to choose the one we think would be the better fit...I am in a wheelchair and my husband also has some health issues that need careful consideration.
We arived at Island Vista on a friday..when we arived the staff was wonderful, very accomodating and friendly....There was an issue with the room and this was solved very quickly, When we made the reservation we always ask about the pool temperature because with my health concerns I can not use water under a certain temp. because of severe cramping, The person we talked to said 80 degrees. When we arived it was 72 so I was not able to use this area..That was one of the issues but not the most significant one. There was also the restaurant. Tthe atmosphere was beautiful and the waiters were wonderful. One of the evenings we went for dinner it was quite crowded . We were seated (we had reservations). The waiter was not dressed in uniform so I am not sure if that is his usual position ignored us the whole evenining. Anything we asked for took a long length of time and when we did get food it was cold. Added to our bill was a 18% gratuity charge which my husband asked to be removed for poor servise. Then there was the last incident and to me the most inconsiderate. We have been a the hotel now for 4 nights and we were to leave the next morning...When we listened to the forcast for our home it says they were expecting a snow storm and already the schools were closed so if course thats a concern for anyone especialy being in a wheelchair so we of course had to make other arangments for our return home. My husband went downstairs and spoke to one of the managers and asked if we may have a late departure of a hour because of the weather and that arrangments had to be made, the manager stated no because the cleaning staff must do the room as soon as we leave, but they also asked if wanted to stay another day. that tells me that the room wasd not booked. In my opinion I believe that they were using the weather to get us to book for another day. I felt that they were much more accomodating to their staff than to their guests. So my recommendation is that you think carefuly especialy if you have a disability of any kind before staying here.

Stayed: January 2009
4  Thank walkandwheel
Reviewed January 17, 2009

Island Vista is the perfect location and we have been to this place a number of times over the past 10 years. The dining room is beautiful and the food is amazing. We always get the meal plan along with the rooms and enjoy the attentive service from Sam, Phil Terry and Henry, etc. By comparison, we just had dinner and breakfast at a fine hotel in Pinehurst and all of us commented on how far superior the food is at Island Vista. We hope this jewel in Myrtle Beach does well in these tough economic times.

3  Thank tarheelborns
Reviewed January 14, 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Island Vista. The rooms were spacious, clean, well-decorated and the service was great. We were traveling with two teenagers and the accommodations allowed us to "spread" out when needed, yet enjoy good quality time with fantastic views when we wanted. We found the staff friendly and professional. The teens enjoyed the pool. The fitness room had very good, up-to-date equipment. Unlike some hotels, all the pieces of equipment worked. This was our first time to Myrtle Beach and the location allowed us to get to everything easily. We were there between Christmas and New Year's so there weren't any crowds or traffic. We enjoyed the hotel so much that we are making plans to go again this year. Even our teens were impressed and you know how they can be! In a time with of economic concern, this hotel is well worth the money.

2  Thank Vette_on_the_road
Reviewed January 11, 2009

My family and I stayed at the Island Vista for 5 weeks while our home was having work done on it. With a family of 5, it was difficult to find a "home-like" atmosphere that we could continue our regular "locals" life. We couldn't have been happier with the accomodations. We were able to get a 3 bedroom with an adjoining 1 bd so that we could have all the space that the family was used to. The rooms are beautifully decorated and well thought out. The bathrooms are large and feature granite countertops and tile. Other features: a large kitchen with all the amenities of home, a great dining room with a large table, laundry closet, and a lovely living area with the balcony looking over the Atlantic Ocean. Our children took full advantage of the lazy river, hot tub, and work out facilities -- even the chess set in the lobby!
The on-site restaurant, The Cypress Room, is dining at its best. The food is fresh and well prepared, the atmosphere is delightful, and the service was attentive and friendly. And right outside the doors of the restuarant you can take advantage of the porch filled with rocking chairs overlooking the pools and the dunes.
I have also recommended the Island Vista to friends and relatives who have come to the Grand Strand and they have all had glowing reviews.
I would recommend highly to everyone.
Margaret in Myrtle Beach

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank MomInMB
Reviewed December 29, 2008

This was our second stay at Island Vista. Unfortunately, between last year and this year, the service depreciated tremendously. As soon as we came in to our room, we found that several kitchen utensils were missing (we anticipated that they would be in proper stock as they had been last year). A few calls to the front desk fixed this problem. Then we noticed that our dishwasher was not in order. The water refused to drain as it ran through the cycle and didn't clean coffee mugs either. For a room that included the price of a suite which is supposed to include the proper kitchen utensils and a functional dishwasher, this is unacceptable. The next day we came back to our suite to find that our beds were not made. A letter from the management said that due to understaffing, they are only able to clean the bathroom in the "slow months of December and November". We did not pay the full price for subpar service. And on the second last night before we left, we went down for dinner at the Cyprus Room and stayed waiting at our table for a complete half hour before deciding to leave. When we complained to the desk staff, they told us that the waiter "did not see us". We were appalled at their service and at their utter disregard for customer satisfaction. When we called the front desk to complain, they informed us that the hotel is a separate entity from the restaurant and that someone would call us the next day. It was a terrible hotel experience and we will not stay here again. Moreover, the rusted pipe that sprawls the beach makes the oceanfront view less than perfect as does the fact that during the entirety of our stay, the two outdoor pools were closed. This was not mentioned on their website.

7  Thank amna146