“Couldn't have been any better!”
Review of Island Vista

Island Vista
Ranked #4 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 14, 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Island Vista. The rooms were spacious, clean, well-decorated and the service was great. We were traveling with two teenagers and the accommodations allowed us to "spread" out when needed, yet enjoy good quality time with fantastic views when we wanted. We found the staff friendly and professional. The teens enjoyed the pool. The fitness room had very good, up-to-date equipment. Unlike some hotels, all the pieces of equipment worked. This was our first time to Myrtle Beach and the location allowed us to get to everything easily. We were there between Christmas and New Year's so there weren't any crowds or traffic. We enjoyed the hotel so much that we are making plans to go again this year. Even our teens were impressed and you know how they can be! In a time with of economic concern, this hotel is well worth the money.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Vette_on_the_road
Write a ReviewReviews (1,359)

Reviewed January 11, 2009

My family and I stayed at the Island Vista for 5 weeks while our home was having work done on it. With a family of 5, it was difficult to find a "home-like" atmosphere that we could continue our regular "locals" life. We couldn't have been happier with the accomodations. We were able to get a 3 bedroom with an adjoining 1 bd so that we could have all the space that the family was used to. The rooms are beautifully decorated and well thought out. The bathrooms are large and feature granite countertops and tile. Other features: a large kitchen with all the amenities of home, a great dining room with a large table, laundry closet, and a lovely living area with the balcony looking over the Atlantic Ocean. Our children took full advantage of the lazy river, hot tub, and work out facilities -- even the chess set in the lobby!
The on-site restaurant, The Cypress Room, is dining at its best. The food is fresh and well prepared, the atmosphere is delightful, and the service was attentive and friendly. And right outside the doors of the restuarant you can take advantage of the porch filled with rocking chairs overlooking the pools and the dunes.
I have also recommended the Island Vista to friends and relatives who have come to the Grand Strand and they have all had glowing reviews.
I would recommend highly to everyone.
Margaret in Myrtle Beach

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank MomInMB
Reviewed December 29, 2008

This was our second stay at Island Vista. Unfortunately, between last year and this year, the service depreciated tremendously. As soon as we came in to our room, we found that several kitchen utensils were missing (we anticipated that they would be in proper stock as they had been last year). A few calls to the front desk fixed this problem. Then we noticed that our dishwasher was not in order. The water refused to drain as it ran through the cycle and didn't clean coffee mugs either. For a room that included the price of a suite which is supposed to include the proper kitchen utensils and a functional dishwasher, this is unacceptable. The next day we came back to our suite to find that our beds were not made. A letter from the management said that due to understaffing, they are only able to clean the bathroom in the "slow months of December and November". We did not pay the full price for subpar service. And on the second last night before we left, we went down for dinner at the Cyprus Room and stayed waiting at our table for a complete half hour before deciding to leave. When we complained to the desk staff, they told us that the waiter "did not see us". We were appalled at their service and at their utter disregard for customer satisfaction. When we called the front desk to complain, they informed us that the hotel is a separate entity from the restaurant and that someone would call us the next day. It was a terrible hotel experience and we will not stay here again. Moreover, the rusted pipe that sprawls the beach makes the oceanfront view less than perfect as does the fact that during the entirety of our stay, the two outdoor pools were closed. This was not mentioned on their website.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank amna146
Reviewed November 4, 2008

After reading Tripadvisor reviews, we checked into another hotel with an indoor water park. There were children and teens everywhere. The pools were mobbed and we realized immediately that we would not be happy. Against our children's wishes, we checked out and went down the street to the Island Vista.

This was our second stay at the Island Vista and we were not disappointed. It's a beautiful, serene facility with clean pools including an indoor children's pool and lazy river. Our kids had a blast and it was not crowded.

We had a three room suite - a king master with bath, a room with two queens and bath, and a nice living, dining, and kitchen area. Well decorated, well furnished, clean, with beautiful ocean views. Great balcony. Fast elevators. Wonderful housekeeping and very friendly, helpful front desk staff. Great residential location close to some wonderful, inexpensive places to eat (Akels for breakfast, Birkis for lunch, and the Fish House for dinner).

What were we thinking when we decided to try someplace else? Next time we'll start at the Island Vista.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank LettsB
Reviewed October 28, 2008

A group of 7 of us stayed at the Island Vista in Myrtle Beach, Sc. recently. My husband and a group of friends take a golfing trip each Spring and we take a couples trip in the Fall. This was the fourth stay for the men and the second for the ladies. I cannot imagine a better place to stay. We have used several other sites and the Island Vista is far and away the nicest of them all. The staff is extremely pleasant and helpful. Joey, who arranges the golf courses and tee times was great and even though there were several changes before the plans were finalized she handled everything in a courteous and professional manner. The restaurant staff is friendly and ready to fill your needs. We were there on a Sunday and had an avid football fan with us. After asking at the front desk if there was a chance our local game, Pittsburgh Steelers, would be able to be viewed in our room they said we would probably need to go to a restaurant to see it. Shortly after a gentleman, Martin, came out to the pool looking for us to inform us that we could see the game in our room. That was above and beyond any service I would expect. Jen and Benjamin at the front desk had investigated this for us. After that every time we passed Martin he greeted us personally. The rooms are very clean and well kept as is the pool and hot tub area. We will definitely be back!

Reviewed September 12, 2008

I would rate it a 6 if it were possible. Everything about this place is exemplary. I will go through every aspect and justify this rating.

Booking/Cost: I booked from the resort's website. No issues. It shows the room layout schematic so you know exactly what you're getting. It's very clear up-front what the final cost is, what the taxes are, etc. I stayed the 1st week of September, 7 days. During my stay, tropical storm Hannah was approaching, so when I decided to end my stay 2 days before scheduled, just before the storm made landfall, I went down to check out. The desk realized I was checking out early and immediately started to work on getting me a refund for the 2 days--I didn't even have to open my mouth to ask for the refund. That's amazing.

Location: The location fit my preference of a peaceful and quiet location, away from the busy commercial stuff that's going on down by 9th ave. It's in what looks like an upscale residential area, so it's very quiet, very safe, no traffic. To the left and the right of the hotel are a series of residential houses, not another hotel--you can clearly see that for yourself on Google maps. So there ends up being relatively fewer people on the beach--a nice plus. Very close by, there's a huge Food Lion, within a 1 minute drive from the hotel. CVS is a couple minutes. And good places to eat, like Little Pig's BBQ, Bonefish and Aspen Grill within a couple minutes drive. Really everything you need is convenient.

Front desk, loading/unloading:
Unloading is easy, there's plenty of designated loading spaces right up front. Front desk was helpful and efficient. No wait to check in, on a 5pm Sunday. After unloading, I was able to find a parking space on the ground level of the garage. So from there you just walk like 10 seconds to the front door. Also from the garage you can walk to the out the other side to the grassy patio, then down to the beach.

Lobby/interior: Easy to navigate, you can get from the beach/grassy area/pool to elevator without walking through the whole lobby. And from the front door to the elevator, a wall partially blocks the front desk's view. So you don't feel weird like the front desk is looking at your comings/goings. Hallways are large glass windows on one side, rooms on the other. So there's a nice afternoon sunshine coming in from those hallway windows. From 12th floor there's a great view behind the hotel of the beautiful residential houses. You see those windows (in black) on the front page of the website.

Elevator: No issues, like you hear about in other hotels reviews. Never waited more than 2 minutes.

Room: The room was spotless, the bathroom and kitchen were pristine. Everything exactly as pictured. I was on 12th floor, A4 oceanfront one-bedroom layout. View was wall-to-wall, directly overlooking the ocean straight-on, no obstructions in any direction. You look left/right, you see all the way up/down the beach. You look down, you see the beach, the pool and grassy patio and sometimes a band playing. The table, chairs, sofa, everything in excellent condition (both inside and the balcony furniture). Refrigerator, dishwasher, sink, microwave, washer, dryer, all perfect, all clean. Silverware is plentiful, pots pans, dishes, glasses, mugs--excellent condition. I like the dark wood decor and muted color scheme--very relaxing and it was consistent everywhere. A side note: The color scheme you see on the website and in the website's photos is consistent everywhere, exterior, lobby, interior, in the rooms.

Internet: Wireless worked fine and on the 1st try, no issues. There were also wall sockets for ethernet cables. Believe me, I used it a lot, all-day and night to check on tropical storm Hannah.

Bedroom: Had 2 queen beds, no issues. There's a large closet, big enough to lay my full-size suitcase down flat on one-side. There's a window from the bedroom to the hallway that you may have read about in other reviews. So what? if you don't like it, you just close the shades--not an issue. The benefit is that because the maid opens those shades, so you know when your room is made, just by walking past it in the hallway. Sound insulation is good quality, didn't hear a thing from the neighbors. Also because they have so many 2, 3, and 4 bedrooms, so obviously the doors to many of the rooms are pretty far apart. And there aren't rooms on the opposite side, so as a result, you don't ever hear other people's doors opening/closing shut.

Bathroom: like the rest of it, pristine condition, roomy. For taller guys, you just have to dip your head a little for the shower head, due to the slightly lower ceiling. So what?--you rinse your hair for like 30 seconds--not an issue.

Restaurant: had breakfast there, the prices were reasonable, food/service excellent. The tables overlook the ocean.

Entertainment: there was a pretty good reggae band they hire to play on the grassy patio area on a Thursday night. We could also go up to our room and listen to it from our balcony.

Pool/beach: No issues here. Pool area definitely above expectations, clean, pristine. The grassy area is manicured very well, every night you see the maintenance guys organize the chairs and cleanup and occasionally trim the lawn. Pools are in perfect condition and pretty large size. There are stairs that go down from there to the beach area. As I said before, the nearest hotel to this one is pretty far away, so you get quite a bit of open beach area to the left and right of this place. There wasn't anyone blocking anyone else's view, since there was so much space on the sides.

Hannah: when the tropical storm approached, the staff printed up letters on everyone's door. They communicated very well about their plans and what kinds of things to prepare for.

Maid service: no issues, diligent, quick, responsive. Front desk has got these walkie-talkie things to talk to the staff, so when I wanted extra towels, it was like a couple minutes response time.

Misc. Stuff:
Ice/vending machines: so convenient, I used the one outside the pool to fill my cooler before going on the beach. Fitness center: excellent condition as you'd expect. Getting your arm-loads of stuff onto the beach: having parked at ground level, it was easy for me, I always just left my beach chairs and umbrella in the car. I go from my room, out the front door, to my car, get my stuff, walk out the other side of the garage onto the pool deck, past the pool, down the stairs to the beach. And reverse, when I get off the beach. So easy.

Versus Comparables: My best friend at work stayed during the same week at Sandy Beach resort, which is also highly rated and well-known. But if you actually drive by Sandy Beach, like I did, you'll see that it's in such a busy commercial area, with waterparks and concrete buildings directly adjacent and busy traffic. I'd rather pay a little bit more for Island Vista and be surrounded by trees. And my friend did not get a refund from Sandy Beach resort when Hannah cut her trip short. That's despite departing merely 1 day earlier than scheduled and despite her attempts pleading with Sandy Beach's manager.

Overall: you can tell that the people running this place are highly professional, thoughtful, and detail-oriented. Getting out and about is very efficient. This place is great for peace, quiet, relaxation, and privacy. Given the time of year I stayed, just after Labor day, the rate was relatively lower, and so for my situation, I felt it was very much worth the cost. No doubt, I will book Island Vista again next year.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vkyc
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We stayed at the Island Vista a couple of weeks ago. The property is pretty nice, especially the remodeled rooms. We go to MB alot and there are nicer properties in better locations nearby for about the same money. Several things just got on our nerves, though. Right at check-in you get a stern lecture about returning the little laminated "towel cards" they give you or risk a $7 "fine" per card. As we were not there to steal towels I thought it was a little much. There is also a charming rusty pipe bisecting the beach directly in front of the hotel. Your first impression is that it is a sewer pipe! It's not but it is huge, probably 4' wide and 100' long until it disappears into the surf. I mentioned that it wasn't shown in any of the promotional material on the website! It really spoiled the ocean view. My theory is that it is a sand-recovery pipe that is used to replenish the beach from time to time and may be temporary; didn't help our view though. Might be needed soon because the beach gets pretty narrow at high tide.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family