Message from TripAdvisor:

Ranked #133 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Sydney, Canada
“Loved the Sands Club”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

Stayed at the Sands Club from Jan to April 12m 2014, loved the Sands, staff was very friendly and helpful. Stayed at 1019, lovely unit, updated, clean and over looks the marsh, great sunsets.
Love the pub and Happy Hour every day, love being so close to the beach, loved Ocean Annie's, Sandals is close to great shopping, great restaurants, theatres. Enjoyed awesome breakfasts at Windows Restaurant, would recommend this club, great value for your money. We will return.

Room Tip: Loved our unit 1019, updated and overlooks the marsh and golf course
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gert U
Sands R, Sands Digital Marketing at Sands Ocean Club Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2014

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed our resort. It can be very cold in January, but sounds like you made the best of the weather. Still plenty to do at the beach.

We do hope you will join us again very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

There was one small indoor pool. Which was over crowded and the chemicals were too potent. All 3 of my children received chemical burn from the chlorine. My husband and I couldn’t even stand it it burned all of our eyes. They couldn't even touch the saltwater the next day without crying from the burn. I paid for a hotel with a water park. It wasn't on the whole 4 days we were there. The pictures of the water amenities are deceitful. I asked where are the slides. The guy at the front desk said I don’t know that may be the wild wheels water park. I had difficulty with the front desk (Asian woman) the first night. By the way there were 3 other people at the front desk having problems that night too. Upon check in at 3 (the ladies were fabulous) I asked if I wanted to stay an extra night would it be a problem. They said no and for Sunday night 4/20 it would be approx 92.00. So that evening when I went back to reserve it that night the Asian lady said it was 140. + tax I said 3 hours ago it was 92.00 she said well our rates change all the time. She also told me if I wanted to book another night I would have to check out at 11 on Sunday and do whatever and check back in at 4 Sunday evening because the room she put me in had a block on it for Sunday for a conference. I was at the front desk about 45 minutes after I told her I wasn't doing that and she said well you will have to change rooms. I said that’s fine I would rather do that now than on the last night of my trip. However, I was still concerned about the price. She went and got the manager David. He said our prices do change all the time based on availability. I said in 3 hours it’s gone up 50.00? He said well I can offer you 118.00 plus tax. Which is still more than I paid for Fri or Sat nights which are always more than a Sunday? So after all was said and done I paid 146.63 for Sunday night and I had a total of 427.69 charged to my card for Friday 4/18-Monday 4/21 charged to my card. So I had the inconvenience of packing up myself, husband and 2 children to move from the 11th floor to the 6th. Not having the water features working. No outdoor water park (I even confirmed this on the phone), a tiny indoor pool with way too much chemicals in it that gave all 3 of my children chemical burn from the chlorine. For as big as the hotel is that indoor pool is un acceptable. There was no outdoor hot tub or we would have chosen that instead. Something else that was horrible was the parking deck. The elevator doesn’t go to the ground floor. So unloading your groceries or suit cases is miserable. The first night my husband wasn't there so I didn't have the option to be dropped off at the door with our stuff. I had to drag our suit cases, coolers and groceries down the stairs coming from the parking garage. I had a couple of vacationers ask did I need help and agreed that the parking deck wasn't well thought out. Walking from the second level of the parking deck the old man on the golf cart flew by my and squealed breaks before he stopped at the other side of the deck. On the way back by me I mentioned "Does this parking deck not go to the bottom" With my hands full of groceries and pulling along a cooler. He said no you have to take the stairs and zoomed back off. He could have offered to drive me to the front. Overall this trip was a waste of my money. I am able to take my kids on vacation once a year and this was horrible. They didn't even get to use the water park I promised them. What a waste of 427.69! I could have spent half of that and stayed at a hotel without a water park with a bigger indoor pool. Overall, very dissatisfied. I can send pictures of my children’s burns if you would like. They cried again last night and this morning when putting on their clothes.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Rhonda L
Upstate, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

I stayed at the Sands Ocean Club Resort 4/12/14 - 4/19/14 with my 3 Teenage Daughters and a Girlfriend and her teenage daughter for a total party of 6. We had Condo 627 which had a BEAUTIFUL view of the Ocean. Here are some good and bad points:

Good: Beautiful Beach, Outdoor Pool is nice, Loved when the bands played at Ocean Annie's right next to the Pool (great music for hours) and they had a little area where the kids could buy ice cream, hamburgers, ect. The location was very good as well as the drive to Broadway at the Beach was about 10 minutes.

Bad: On either side of the Resort there is public parking for Beach Access. This is bad as there were MANY people using the indoor pools that were not guest of the Resort. We know this as we had 4 teenage girls down chatting with people in the pool and again and again they were told by people in the pool that they had just walked in off of the beach to use the pool as it was chilly during the timeframe we were visiting. That is SCARY!! We kept a close eye on the kids because of this. Also, the indoor pool is filled with Ocean water, so it is always cloudy looking. The hallways, hallway carpeting and elevators are in need of some refurbishing.

I don't think I would stay here again only, but there were some Resorts close by that I will be looking into for next year as I did love the beach and the location of this Resort.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank 1Travelgirl08
Sands R, Sands Digital Marketing at Sands Ocean Club Resort, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for spending your vacation with us at Sands and thank you for the honest review

We are happy you enjoyed your time with us and we do hope you return to one of our Resorts very soon.

Yes, Ocean Annie's and River City Cafe are public venues and people who are not guests are welcome there.

May we suggest our Sand Dunes Resort and Spa on your next visit. It is located a few miles south. Very family friendly, Water Park on site, restaurants including a River City Cafe, Arcade, Spa and more.
Clemmons, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

Attended this hotel on a golf outing. Built in the late 1960's (I estimate), the best friend for this property is the ball of a wrecking ball.

Front Desk Staff - - surly, not rude but certainly not happy to see me and my $850.
Décor - Welcome to a time warp. Oh, they added ceramic to the lobby floor, but the dated nature and lack of cleanliness outweighs the improvement.
Rooms. NO service in the room - other than clean towels for FIVE days! Pathetic. Dingy, maintenance items galore, simply not maintained. Ours was a non smoking room - NOT. What a downer to have to walk in to that room each evening and smell the smoke.
Hallways - a disaster. Dirty filthy carpet, all white, scuffed up doors and walls, badly in need of paint and refinishing.
Already checked, you can get a much better room and hotel and golf package from Caribbean and many other resorts in Myrtle Beach.
River City Restaurant. Having a grill on site is great. BUT - the place is filthy, service is terrible. Spent the first 15 minutes listening to three employees talking about missing money from the till. As if it's any of the customers' business.! Likely this is a leased deal - owners of the building could do a lot better by getting rid of this lessee and finding a real operator for this captive customer base!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jim C
Thank you for taking your time to give us feedback.

We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay at our resort. We hope that the front desk was able to rectify your issues before you left.

We would be happy to welcome you back at our other properties the next time you would like to come play golf! Thank you again for expressing your issues.

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Va
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

We just stayed a week on the 10th floor, updated room, great view. Could use new carpet, and updated furniture and linens, other than that rooms were clean, maid service came every day. Food in Windows Restaurant and River Cafe was very good! Awesome Burgers! We enjoyed the music and the time we stayed here! Band was great. Great song list and played to the crowd. Impressed with the fact that many of the staff here has been around for many years. They were friendly and helpful. We were apprehensive after reading some of these reviews but glad we took a chance. Some of the rooms could use a face lift though.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 1spw
Thank you for your review.

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your vacation with us overall.

We appreciate your feedback and suggestions as we are always striving to improve our operations.

Please come again soon
Rising Fawn, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Old building that is poorly maintained and dirty. Our first room smelled bad, carpet was torn, black spots on the bed and our feet stuck to the tile floor. Terrible room. We were moved to another room that was better, but nothing special. Housekeeping is terrible and the employees are cell phone zombies. They walk around starring at their phones and hide in out of sight places to text, etc. Maid service was sporadic at best. One day no towels, one day no coffee and you were lucky to get a bar of soap or the terrible shampoo. One maid did not wash our coffee cups, just put them back on the shelf.

Room Tip: The Executive Tower is better, but not much.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Dawg099
Sands R, Sands Digital Marketing at Sands Ocean Club Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you for your review. We apologize that the hotel interior was not up to your standards. We also apologize for the housekeeping issues and the rudeness of employees on cell phones.

We strive at Sands to accommodate our guests and will certainly look into these issues.

We do continue to improve our resort and we hope you will return for a visit in the near future
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Only live club on the beach, great golf packages, clean, some of the best burgers at the beach on premises, free afternoon hor'deuvres in a different bar.
Could use an update, but the price is right. Np doubt, we will return.

Room Tip: Great view from the sixteenth floor!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wildbillnc
Sands R, Sands Digital Marketing at Sands Ocean Club Resort, responded to this review, March 11, 2014

We will continue to update our property as it is an ongoing process.