Message from TripAdvisor:

“Wonderful place to stay”

Sands Ocean Club Resort
Ranked #130 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Tennessee
“Wonderful place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2008

I am not sure where these other reviewers are used to staying. We had a wonderful trip. I was traveling alone with my daughter and felt safe and enjoyed staying here. I have stayed at various 5 star resorts in Myrtle Beach area and for the cost of this trip compared to those previous trips, I was completely satisfied. Sure there is a bar area, but you just avoid that area at various times. There is still plenty to do without worrying activities going on there. There was a lot of firework activitiy during our stay. That is completely beyond the motels control. They do not own the beach area and it is patrolled and monitored by the Police Department. We were greeted by a friendly person to help us unload and was checked in and in our room in 20 minutes. I am already making reservations and plans to return next year. One other perk was 4 free lunches each day served by a wonderful staff. Please remember that some of these reviews complain about customers and the motel has a limited control over behaviors. I was involved in some unappropriate behavion from another person staying there. I reported it to the front desk and one of the three security personnel took care of the problem to my satisfaction. The room was great, complete with a stovem microwavem and fridge.Our room was cleaned daily, Definitley stay here. I plan on returning.

• Liked — Great staff and welcoming atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2008

We stayed four nights at the Sands Ocean Club in Myrtle Beach in July. We booked two rooms through Hotwire which is usually very reliable. Upon arriving at the hotel we were very disappointed at the state of the rooms and common areas. It was certainly not a 3 star hotel as listed through hotwire. There were strange odors everywhere, my wife did not remove her flip-flops in the room, shower, anywhere. Everything was dirty and smelly. The shower either had scalding hot water or icy water. The carpets and bed linens were stained and had many cigarette burns. There were crushed up crackers in the hallway for days and we found crumbs from a previous guest under the bed.

The atmosphere at the hotel is not conducive for children under 12. Foul language heard throughout the ground floor of the hotel near the two bars.

A positive is the free computers on the ground level; however, often the computers did not work or were extremely slow.

The beach is very nice, the air conditioning worked well, and the beach bar was fun. These positives were overshadowed by the dirty conditions that would prevent us from ever returning to this hotel or recommending it to others.

• Liked — Location on the beach
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
1 Thank tunabear

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2008

If you like filth, constant drinking, slamming doors, fireworks on the beach all night, smelly odors, disgusting carpet and high prices, then you found the right place! Woo-hoo!

This place is an absolute dump. I think people drink constantly to stay drunk enough to forget the absolute filth in which they are staying and for which they are paying top dollar. Avoid this place - it is really the pits.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Smelly, dirty, loud
1 Thank Soccernut51
Cary, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2008

We have been staying here for several years. We love the location and Ocean Annie's. Ah, Ocean Annie's..we think it is the only reason this place is still open. We have kept giving them the benefit of the doubt (since new owners took over a few yrs ago) but we have stayed here for the last time.

We booked an efficiency room for our 5 night stay. When entered the room, my heart sunk. I began to look around. Heavy rust on the stove and refrigerator and some kind of film on the stove too. In the bathroom, I found a vanity door hanging by only one hinge. There was hair caught in dust webs under the vanity and behind the door in the bathroom. Disgusting. Final straw? I pulled back the holey, wrinkled comforter on one of the beds, and sure enough, a bug was between the sheets!!! I was out of there.

The elevators just reeked of urineas we made our way back to the front desk.

The front desk moved us to a room over in the executive building. The carpet there needed attention, but otherwise it was just ok. If I had paid the regular rate for that room, I would have demanded a refund and gone elsewhere.

We always look forward to our time at the beach and will continue to go there, but we will not be staying at the Sands. It is crumbling and filthy!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty and detereorating
1 Thank Cary_NCOnthemove
Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

I have to admit that I read all of these reviews before we left for our vacation and thought that things couldn't be that bad... unfortunately it was. So before I rant, please take these reviews seriously and re-think your stay. If you are traveling with young children this is not the best place to stay. I would say that North Myrtle Beach is not family oriented. Sure it may look that way during the day, but at night it's a whole different scene.

Upon arriving we went into our room and thought, "well this isn't so bad", but we had to look beyond the fact that the door was eaten through on the sides and it looked as if someone had tried to chip away at the lock area. At anyrate, we turn down our bedspread and throw it on the floor (side note: always do this in any hotel... they do not have the washers to wash large bed spreads). We found blood stains on two of the pillows and more stains on the other pillow cases on the other bed. My husband called housekeeping to get cleaner ones, she brings up four more and they are stained as well. She says to him "I know where cleaner ones are". What the heck??? There's a special "clean" stash somewhere? After getting that taken care of, we had maintenance come in to take care of the sliding glass door that hurt our ears everytime we opened it. Then the following day, maintenance came in to work on the plumbing in our bathroom. We had shared plumbing with the next room and everytime they or we used the water, the sink would gurgle something fierce. They told us we would not hear the gurgle again.... we did of course... the entire time we were there. I do have to say that the housekeeping and maintenance staff were very nice. So on to our family package plan for breakfast. Unless you want to eat unhealthy the entire time you're there, this is not the breakfast you want. Heartattack city with all the fattening items. There is fruit, but whether it's fresh or not is a gamble. Look at the plates before putting food on them as well. I swear everytime I picked up a plate, it had a speck of food on it. There is only one restaurant that is kid friendly, and it had peanut shells all over the floors and tables... one of my boy's has a peanut allergy so we were unable to eat there. The other establishments were bar-sy types. Ocean Annie's is a great place for singles and young couples and the band played until late at night and very loud. Again, if you're single, young and without children, this should be the place for you. NOT FOR FAMILIES.

I could go on and on but in closing, me, my husband and three boys will not be staying here again. Next time will be either in Barefoot Landing or Broadway at the Beach.

• Liked — On the beach
  • Disliked — Unclean
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank IndianaNotaFan
North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2008

I just got back from a 3 night stay at the Sands Ocean Club. I have to admit I have stayed here in years past but NEVER AGAIN! It has always been bad but never this bad. First of all the room was disgusting..wall behind trash can had food stuck on it, arms of the chairs and couches were black, shower curtain had never been cleaned, sliding glass doors were so foggy you couldn't see out of them, light fixture over table was broken, mold growing in the shower, roaches were in my bathroom at night, etc, etc. I was afraid to touch anything and wore my flip flops while in the room. Me and my friends always stayed here because of Ocean Annie's. Well I was shocked to find Ocean Annie's as a hangout for prostitutes this year. I could not believe my eyes. It was obvious what was happening. They would come in sit down at a table by themselves and shortly after here would come an older gentleman. They would sit there for a while, hugging, kissing, and then leave hand and hand! Oh and it didn't stop there..the lounge inside was a haven for them as well. We were sitting in the lobby outside of the lounge when in walks a cop escorting a prostitute inside because she had left her son sitting inside while she did her thing. He looked about 9 years old. This place is just GROSS! The only nice thing was the bellman! BEWARE of Sands Ocean Club!

• Liked — Music at Ocean Annies
  • Disliked — Disgusting Rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank SDOGGNorthCarolina
Matthews, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2008

The pool area is awesome, and Ocean Annies really is a good compliment. The only thing negative I saw was that the hotel elevators needed some carpet fresh or tile instead of carpet, as frequent wet visitors caused some mildew.

The staff was great. The room was modest, but good for the price, and I don't know who had slow elevators, as the ones I used were modern and fast, with CNN monitors in them.

• Liked — Ocean Annies and pool area
  • Disliked — elevator carpet
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple