Message from TripAdvisor:

“Great Place to Stay”

Sands Ocean Club Resort
Ranked #137 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed September 20, 2013

let me start by saying we gave stayes at SOC for 10 years we have came different times of the year spring summer in fall. Each time has been perfect. We have gone with family, friends etc. From the time we arrive the staff have been excellent - checking in staff as well as all cleaning staff. The rooms have been great as well cleaned every day. The food at RC was excellent as well as the Windows Restaurant for breakfast. We had no issues with parking. Now for all the reviews that peolpe have left - would I like to see your house after a thousands of people have been through it or swam in your pool - I have travelled to a lot of places in SOC in MB has to be one of the best and when we travel we stay in 5 Star resorts. To all the staff at SOC you all do terrific work keep it up.

Room Tip: Didnt do the spa that is why I didn"t check it off. We will be back next summer and all the sum...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Ocean Annie's is a great hot spot in the summer for live bands and drinks. You can also get great food at river city cafe and bring it outside to OA. Hotel is in great need of updates. Pool and hot tub are sub par. You feel like your in a 70's movie as the decor is very out dated. Cheap rooms and you don't need to drive anywhere once you are at SOC. we know what to expect when we book here, but we always come back for OA

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank H8470ANmarkw
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great location in N Myrtle Beach. Right on beach. Lots of umbrellas on beach to rent. Beach not too crowded, you can walk to a small inlet which is filled with tiny fish and other sea creatures when the tide falls. There is an awesome bar and band area right on the beach that is great. It is very family oriented but very mixed with all ages. It is awesome! You can sit in your room in the evening, put the kids to bed and listen to great music and watch fireworks. Or you can be down in it. There is a fun lazy river and 2 pools, 1 inside and 1 outside, There are numerous activities including a kids club that is great if you want a few hours without the kids. There is a good restaurant with a great breakfast, a lunch program which is sometimes included that consists of a burger/hot dog, chips and a soda and perfect so you don't have to leave the beach. There is another restaurant/bar inside too, and 3 shops inside that have gifts/snacks/beachwear/beach accessories, etc. The hotel is older but is kept up. The rooms are privately owned so you might get one completely updated and modern, or you might get a plainer one that is still fine and all rooms we have stayed in have been clean and supplied. There are washer/dryer rooms on some floors. The staff is eager to please. If there are any issues they work to resolve them immediately. There is also a free waterpark down in one of their other hotels that is included in your stay. We love this place and the relaxed, happy atmosphere.

Room Tip: Either side or full beach view is what you want to people watch and listen to music.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife, service dog (Beau), and I stayed at the Sands Ocean Club in Myrtle Beach during the weekend of Aug. 24th and were somewhat dismayed with the accommodations and service. We were initially taken aback by a certain dinginess of hallways and carpet in the hotel. This is probably an older facility and not recently renovated. The rooms, in many cases, are "mini-condos" owned by private parties and rented out to vacationers and have a "well-used" look and feel.
The room itself was sufficient and the beds were fairly comfortable, however, our room was directly over the loading dock for the facility and was very loud at times when the garbage dumpster was serviced.
We were confronted on occasion regarding our service dog as he uses no special garment (not all service dogs are for blind guides).
Parking was a nightmare at times when stay periods were ending/beginning and I suppose this is to be expected.
The most disappointing aspect was that, at checkout, we discovered we had been charged a rate that was higher than what had been quoted for our group.
The hotel is on the beach and has an attached bar (Ocean Annie's) but the pool was often "standing room only" and, unless you are really into the "spring break" scene, Sunset Beach, NC is just to the north of here and a much quieter and family-friendly venue.

Room Tip: South-facing rooms are away from the loading dock. It's best to book this hotel sometime after L...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bill C
Reviewed September 3, 2013

WOW, don't recall now how many years in a row our group has stayed at Sands Ocean Club for the World Amateur. We all admit the rooms are nothing special. We like the fact there is a great beach bar, Ocean Annies, on the property. The location is extremely convenient for getting anywhere you need to go. There is shopping close by.
When I opened the door to my room this year, I was overwhelmed by the smell of cigar smoke and this was a non-smoking room. I opened all the doors to try to let it air out. I found a maintenance man who graciously sprayed a huge can of deoderizer in the room but the problem was the bed linens. I flipped the bed cover back and it was like someone was standing next to me smoking a cigar.
I went down to the front desk and asked if they could find me another room. Had they not been able to, I would have gone elsewhere. The smell was that bad.
The gentleman at the desk was more than gracious. It took a while but he gave me keys to another room. I decided to go look at that room before moving my luggage. The keys did not work so back to the front desk I go. Well, about 20 minutes later, he has another set of keys and moves me to a suite instead of the standard room I had. The room was very nice. It just took till about 2AM to get all this done.
As the subject says, first time ever to have a room problem but it did get corrected.
Only other complaint was that I had to call 2 times during the week to get towels. The room was cleaned by housekeeping but they did not leave towels. They had them to the room in less than 15 minutes each time.
As always, the staff at Sands was very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was our first time on Myrtle Beach and friends recommended Sands Ocean Club Resort. What a great family vacation. Free BBQ lunch on the pool deck daily, free access to a waterpark and we loved Ocean Annie's!! Our 12 year olds played volleyball on the beach each night under huge flood lights, met a lot of other families with kids, and we could see them from our balcony and know they were safe. Nightly fireworks were nice too. The resort staff were helpful and kind. We cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was leary about booking a room at the Sands Ocean Club Resort as the other reviews were extremely mixed. Yes some of the areas were dated, however for the price I would highly recommend this resort. The room was about average, the furniture was somewhat dated and worn, however the view was terrific and the club amenties were more than adequate. The outside club was nice and the drink prices were reasonable. The breakfast buffet was good, with the typical selection of items. The wait staff was excellent, however the hostess was less than friendly and down right rude. The omelet "chef" was also rude and not helpful. The front desk personnel was happy to explain items as well as the bell hop taking our luggage. The reviews that I read stated there were roaches and rooms were terrible. I would definitely say that we had a great weekend stay and the rooms were adequate and convenient to everything.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family