“Resort? HA!”

Sands Ocean Club Resort
Ranked #136 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I have to admit that I read all of these reviews before we left for our vacation and thought that things couldn't be that bad... unfortunately it was. So before I rant, please take these reviews seriously and re-think your stay. If you are traveling with young children this is not the best place to stay. I would say that North Myrtle Beach is not family oriented. Sure it may look that way during the day, but at night it's a whole different scene.

Upon arriving we went into our room and thought, "well this isn't so bad", but we had to look beyond the fact that the door was eaten through on the sides and it looked as if someone had tried to chip away at the lock area. At anyrate, we turn down our bedspread and throw it on the floor (side note: always do this in any hotel... they do not have the washers to wash large bed spreads). We found blood stains on two of the pillows and more stains on the other pillow cases on the other bed. My husband called housekeeping to get cleaner ones, she brings up four more and they are stained as well. She says to him "I know where cleaner ones are". What the heck??? There's a special "clean" stash somewhere? After getting that taken care of, we had maintenance come in to take care of the sliding glass door that hurt our ears everytime we opened it. Then the following day, maintenance came in to work on the plumbing in our bathroom. We had shared plumbing with the next room and everytime they or we used the water, the sink would gurgle something fierce. They told us we would not hear the gurgle again.... we did of course... the entire time we were there. I do have to say that the housekeeping and maintenance staff were very nice. So on to our family package plan for breakfast. Unless you want to eat unhealthy the entire time you're there, this is not the breakfast you want. Heartattack city with all the fattening items. There is fruit, but whether it's fresh or not is a gamble. Look at the plates before putting food on them as well. I swear everytime I picked up a plate, it had a speck of food on it. There is only one restaurant that is kid friendly, and it had peanut shells all over the floors and tables... one of my boy's has a peanut allergy so we were unable to eat there. The other establishments were bar-sy types. Ocean Annie's is a great place for singles and young couples and the band played until late at night and very loud. Again, if you're single, young and without children, this should be the place for you. NOT FOR FAMILIES.

I could go on and on but in closing, me, my husband and three boys will not be staying here again. Next time will be either in Barefoot Landing or Broadway at the Beach.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank IndianaNotaFan
Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)

Reviewed July 3, 2008

I just got back from a 3 night stay at the Sands Ocean Club. I have to admit I have stayed here in years past but NEVER AGAIN! It has always been bad but never this bad. First of all the room was disgusting..wall behind trash can had food stuck on it, arms of the chairs and couches were black, shower curtain had never been cleaned, sliding glass doors were so foggy you couldn't see out of them, light fixture over table was broken, mold growing in the shower, roaches were in my bathroom at night, etc, etc. I was afraid to touch anything and wore my flip flops while in the room. Me and my friends always stayed here because of Ocean Annie's. Well I was shocked to find Ocean Annie's as a hangout for prostitutes this year. I could not believe my eyes. It was obvious what was happening. They would come in sit down at a table by themselves and shortly after here would come an older gentleman. They would sit there for a while, hugging, kissing, and then leave hand and hand! Oh and it didn't stop there..the lounge inside was a haven for them as well. We were sitting in the lobby outside of the lounge when in walks a cop escorting a prostitute inside because she had left her son sitting inside while she did her thing. He looked about 9 years old. This place is just GROSS! The only nice thing was the bellman! BEWARE of Sands Ocean Club!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SDOGGNorthCarolina
Reviewed June 27, 2008

The pool area is awesome, and Ocean Annies really is a good compliment. The only thing negative I saw was that the hotel elevators needed some carpet fresh or tile instead of carpet, as frequent wet visitors caused some mildew.

The staff was great. The room was modest, but good for the price, and I don't know who had slow elevators, as the ones I used were modern and fast, with CNN monitors in them.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2008

Hotel rooms may be awful, but book through an owner! We've stayed 4 years at the Sands and the rooms have NEVER been dirty or musty. vrbo.com is a great way to find rooms. I'm assuming not all owners are alike, so I would contact them to see the responses. I've contacted a couple with little to no response, but have found owners that really care, too. I love the resort. It's a great place for parents to take kids. The kids enjoy the pools, etc, and the parents enjoy Ocean Annies. At night you can lounge on the beach and listen to the band while the kids play!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank MBRocks
Reviewed June 11, 2008

Lets start by saying the hotel does not resemble the brocheure except for the lobby. We were scheduled for a 6 night stay and cut this vacation short due to the unsanitary conditions, rudeness of the hotel staff as well as the staff of the on site entertainment staff of Ocean Annie's. The room had two lamps with burned out bulbs. There were knats flying around the refrigerator when we walked in. The rooms did not resemble the online virtual tours given at the web site. The comforters and pillows were very well worn and in need of being retired. The whole apperance of the rooms were out dated and not what you would expect for 800.00 plus dollars we had spent for this lesson. The elevators and hallways reeked of urine and alcohol being spilled or disposed of. We stil decided after checking in to give them the benefit of a doubt so we stayed 2 nights and we got a very rude welcome from the cleaning service and front desk when we requested new pillows to replace the worn ones. The indoor pools were in need of having the liners painted or water changed? They were a yellowish color and were not the beautiful blue color that you would expect from the brochure. The hotel night life staff were very rude when approached for service and the high dollar drinks that you can expect to pay for were watered down. We were constantly badgered by something in the rooms biting us in our beds, mosquitos or somethig? Not to mention the hords of 40's plus year old men (golfers) who circled the lounge, outside bar area and lobbies drunk chasing anything over 18 yrs old with a heart beat. The whole experience left my wife and i scratching our heads wondering what in the heck we had gotten ourselves into while trying to manage to salvage our vacation. We decided we needed to leave after the 2nd night and talked with the front desk about checking out early. We were then told we could not check out until 3am which led us into our 3rd night of this adventure. The only pleasant thing i can say about the establishment, staff, entermaintment and let me not forget about the 4 dozen or so of (hopped up on vigara) sexually deprived older golfing gentlemen which helped to make our vacation a disaster is that we will recieve a refund on our remaining 3 days in 7 to 14 days credited back to our account. It takes 10 seconds to get in this prediciment and only 7 to 14 days to get out of it. If you are truly looking to relax and enjoy the ammenties that you see as you book a vacation online or from a brochure please don't choose this one or you will be disappointed... Unhappy Guest

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fancy2008
Reviewed May 6, 2008

I booked this hotel through Hotwire for a business trip. This hotel is not even close to a three star "resort". It is a tired, used up beachfront hotel.

Lobby/Check-In/Parking

The hotel is being painted or cleaned on the outside, so lots of tarps and scaffolding. The lobby is dismal. There is a loud, smoky bar right off the lobby, so it always smells like smoke. The common areas are dark and dingy. The check-in desk has a list of rules, no early check out, fees for this and that. Nice.

Like a couple posts down, this is a playground for middle-aged partiers, so lots of profanity, older couples making out outside the bar, etc. Beer bottles everywhere. People walking around all over (even out to their cars) with drinks and beer.

Room.

After a ride in the elevator (with TV's! so 80's) went down a low hallway to a room across from a dingy laundry room. The rooms have a "name" under the room number, which is, I supposed, the people that own the room. I read in a previous post that each room or block of rooms are owned as investment property. Well my investors did not put a lot of money into their room. It looks nothing like the pictures on hotwire or on the website for the hotel. The was a small kitchenette, bathroom and then the room in the entry hall. Had an ocean view, but the two side wings of the hotel blocked all but 150 feet or so, no privacy. Two beds, a dresser and a table in chairs was all that was in the room. The beds were ok, nothing special. At least the A/C worked on fan all night to drown out the partying at Ocean Annies.

Other

Room was barely cleaned for the week I stayed. Sometimes the garbage was emptied, sometimes not. Be sure to bring shampoo/soap. The small bottles in the room were not ever dollar store quality. They were generics made in India, shampoo smelled like Pine-sol.

The lobby in the morning was littered with cigarette butts and beer bottles. It made us glad we had to leave to go to work!

Was so glad to leave! There is much better choices in MB!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Cruze-lover
Reviewed April 22, 2008

THIS HOTEL IS UNSAFE
After receiving inaccurate directions from guest services, and driving around North Myrtle Beach for an unintended moonlight tour, my 10 year old daughter and I arrived at the Sands Ocean Club Resort on Friday evening, April 18. We had booked a room through Hotwire, which had rated it as a 3 star hotel. We intentionally chose a North Myrtle Beach location to avoid the partying on the strip. We were having a mother/daughter weekend, and we attempted to find a hotel that would be family friendly. Upon parking at the outside entrance to check-in, we found ourselves amid groups of drunken men standing around guzzling beer. As we walked past them we were subjected to foul language. It was not directed at us, but it was inappropriate for a mom and her daughter to have to hear. I had hoped that once we were inside the hotel it would be better. I was wrong. The lobby was smoke filled, and the bar located next to the entrance doors was blasting some bad karoke. People sloshing their beer bottles were spilling out of the bar and were sprawled throughout the lobby. They were loud, drunk, and we again had to listen to ugly language. It appeared that the "Guttermouth Convention" had arrived.

I told the front desk clerk that we needed to be as far away from the bar/noise as possible. I asked her if this was a big party hotel or was this an unusual night. She replied that it is a huge party motel. At this point I realize that we should just lose money on the room and go someplace else. Unfortunately I have no clue where to go at 10:00 on Friday night to get a room. My daughter is hanging on me and says she's scared. I'm scared too, this place is crazy! I make a decision to stay at the hotel due to my limited knowledge of other motels. Are they all like this? We finish the check in, go back to the car, and park on the 4th floor of the parking deck. The lights in the parking deck are out, the lights in the stairwell are out, and the elevator is slow, loud, jerky, dirty and creepy. Can you say dangerous?!!! We have to walk back through the drunken guttermouths outside the entrance and inside the lobby. We get to our room and TRY to turn on the lights, but they don't work. The toilet is "running" so I attempt to flush it before it gets used. The toilet won't flush! The drapes are hanging off of their hooks, there is orange sticky stuff on the microwave, the plastic balcony furniture is sticky and layered in dirt. I call maintenance and they come fix the toilet. Hooray! It's the most important part of the room!

My daughter was scared, so I propped up an ironing board against the door. If anyone tries to break in, the ironing board will fall and scare off the intruder...at least that's what I tell her.

Saturday morning we head out to try the pool and lazy river mentioned in the resort add. Unfortunately we can't use either one. Why? The pools were surrounded by the guttermouths sitting in lawn chairs drinking booze. We left for the beach and it was wonderful. FYI...the ice machines at the hotel are only available on certain floors. They weren't even turned on while we were there. I also saw a large cockroach on a wall near the pool.

Saturday night we made sure we were in our room before dark, so we didn't have to see the Guttermouths again.

This hotel is not safe. Families beware!

Stayed: April 2008