“Some Great Updates, But Not Our Usual Sands Experience...”

Sands Ocean Club Resort
Ranked #138 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed September 29, 2012

As loyal Sands Ocean Club visitors for the last 4 years, I must say, I loved this hotel the first time we pulled up to see the bell hop jump to greet us. However, our trip this week from Sun-Thurs with a superb Sands Loyalty Club rate in a remodeled oceanview effieiency was a bit of a mixed bag. Firstly, the desk staff is definately slipping...upon check in, I was greeted by a clerk who addressed me with, "Man, I am so tired and ready to get out of here!! Name, now?" OMG...Not at the Sands!! Told our room was not ready, we came back in an hour to a friendly clerk who checked us in with a smile...the usual type of Sands employee we're used to seeing. I also found maid service a bit lacking on 2 mornings, but not enough to complain about...just not usual Sands standards for off-season.
The remodeling of the popular Oceanview Efficencies in the main building (which really are oceanfront with an obstructed view left & right only) was less than I expected. There are new kitchens with stove top ranges (no ovens), granite coutertops, and new cabinetry. The bedrooms seemed to be newly carpeted and all bedspreads, beds, curtains, high table & chairs, lamps, etc were new. The flat screen tv and long, dressing mirror was also a big plus. However, sadly, the baths and other areas had not seen one lick of redoing, which they certainly could have used. To make these new units fully remodeled, I hope the Sands completes these improvements this winter. Wi-Fi is always great..never slow or down. The great pool deck and Ocean Annie's was a super as always as was the River City Cafe and Windows' fab breakfast buffet. The indoor pool could definately also use some upgrading, but it is not so bad as to be avoided, at all.
We always enjoy the Sands Ocean Club: it's in that great Arcadian Shores area, private, mostly populated with older couples, families with older children, twenty & thirty somethings & golfers, which makes for a good mix of clientelle. The beach is lovely with the point a short walk away and the Apache Pier for fishing just a 5 minute drive. Restaurants are mere minutes away as is the Tanger Outlet mall, Barefoot Landing, grocery stores, gas stations, etc.
We WILL be back...just hoping the Sands continue to offer their great Loyalty Club rates and do a bit more updating. This property could be a top-clas hotel...and, frankly, the Sands owes their massive amount of return clientelle a bit of a face lift.

Room Tip: Have loved the ocean view from every side of the hotel...the only downsize is the small deck areas i...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ACH1956

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Check-in was OK. Bellman was very attentive. When I got to the room, I ask where are th beds? We were given a room with 2 fold out sofa beds. The room was also very small. I took one look at this room and said this will not do. Went back to front desk and ask for another room with a bed. That acted like I had just ask for the Moon. After about 5 min. wait they found us a room with 2 double beds. When we got to the room it smelled like mold and the carpet was a mess. We were very tired and just took this room. The ocean view was good. The bath room was dirty. Had sand on the floor and in the tub. There was water around the sink and the guest soap was used and so was the guest shanpoo. Glad I had brought my own. When I opened the door to the balcony the wooden handle fell off in my hand. The AC would not go below 72
, and when you opened the balcony door the AC would cut off. The indoor pool was dirty and the Hot Tub did not work as all. Bedding and towles were very old and should be trashed. NOT A GOOD EXPERENCE. I have worked in the Hospitality business for the last 20 years and I would be ashamed to rent such old decrepitted room to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 1408Vitoria
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Room was dirty, bathroom had dirty guest towel hanging in the shower. Ceiling had stains - not sure if it was mold or something else. Beds extremely uncomfortable and bedding was old. Hotel needs renovations - outside is falling apart - overall not a good experience. Positives - the view from our room was good and the staff very pleasant.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank kmc27101
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband, daugher and I took an end of summer getaway to Myrtle Beach last month. We had a great time. Our suite had a phenomenal panoramic ocean view! The daily breakfast buffet was excellent with great service too. Our suite was spacious and clean. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Melissaaellis
Reviewed September 10, 2012

If you have not stayed at Sands Ocean Club, make sure you make this resort your vacation spot for next summer. You are literally steps from the beach and ocean. Price is great. The only thing I have to complain about, is the indoor pool is not that nice, the outdoor pool is great, but indoor is not that appealing. Also the parking could be a lot better. Ocean Annies is awesome, great music. Before you leave, you have to go to WIndows restaurant for breakfast. You will have the best omlet made by Chef Thomas. He is the best and you will want to come back every year.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in a time share condo. Unit was clean, no bugs, and maid service was fine. The pools & hot tubs were good. The beachside bar was hopping with bands playing all day. There were lifeguards on the beach. We enjoyed the location and would stay there again. No clue about value since it was a timeshare.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I booked this efficiency on Hotwire.com, so the rates were reasonable. Check in was effortless with plenty of bellmen to take your things to the room. Overall the staff was helpful. This place is older and some units are individually owned, as ours was. It is a little worn but it appears that they have tried to make some minor updates to the decor. Housekeeping staff need some serious supervision to ensure that the rooms are actually cleaned. We noticed an issue with the toilet leaking while housekeeping was here and she called for us. Maintenance took care of the issue, but left a broom and dustpan in our bathroom. The pool area and Lazy River are a little worn but nice to have on property. Good location, family atmosphere. This property has LOTS of potential but needs some serious updates to the decor and the appliances in the kitchenette. I'm not expecting something fancy as far as a kitchenette is concerned but everything is a minimum of 20 years old.

Carlos, our bellman, was VERY helpful, took our things to our room while we parked the car. I was looking for him to give him a tip and asked the other bellmen about his whereabouts. He called our room to ensure that we had all of out things.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends