“Decent for the price but Not 4 Star”

Ocean Park Resort, Oceana Resorts
Ranked #45 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Rock Hill, South Carolina
“Decent for the price but Not 4 Star”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2006

First let me say that ours was a last minute trip. My mom had a room and asked us to come, but when I called them I was told they were booked up. When my Mom arrived and asked they told her they had at least 4 vacancies, so she booked one and we went.

On arrival, the lady at the desk was very nice, considering it was about 3:30 am. She only gave me one key card, though, which didn't work when we got to the room. I went back down and asked her to reprogram it. She did, and gave me a second card key just in case. We got into the room and went to grab something to drink from the machines....all empty. When my husband asked about other drink machines on other floors, he was told that was it, but we later found out their were other machines he could have checked. OH! And the desk is on the SECOND Floor, which looks like the first floor on first arrival to the front parking lot. You have to get luggage racks from the FIRST floor which is the underground parking area and indoor pool section, but no one told me that on check in, so we carried everything by hand. I have a feeling these issues are all due to staff attitudes and could be fixed easily.

We stayed up since it was so late anyway and caught the sunrise....WOW!. It was beautiful and worth every minute of the drive down there. The views from the mostly oceanfront rooms are great. Every private balcony is designed so that you can't see your neighbors if they are also out on the balcony, which is nice. We could see the pool and hot tub and the sun tan yard, which was nicely landscaped.

The room itself (618) was a little worn around the edges, but not bad for the money we paid. There were some worn places on the walls and cabinets. The carpet needs to be replaced, as does the floor in the living room area which has some serious lumps in the wood. We didn't try the kitchen for much of anything but the fridge kept our sodas cold and the coffee pot worked. One thing I would like to mention is the railing on the balcony. It "wiggled" a lot more than I would've liked....not so much that it was in danger of falling immediately, but I wouldn't advise leaning against it for too long, either, and I'd be wary of kids out on the balcony alone.

Location---south of the Family Kingdom amusement park on Ocean Blvd. but not more than a 15 minute ride from N. Myrtle Pavilion.
Overall, it's not 4 Star, but neither was the price tag. I'd stay again, but I'd check the room out before I signed anything just to be sure.

11 Thank Nennasays

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2006

We booked online for 2 rooms with 1 adult and 2 children in each room. We had to attend my son's track meeting and were only staying overnight. My parents also went with us and they got to the hotel around 11:30 in the morning. We were later than usual and when we got there, they gave us our two rooms. Previously, the person at the desk told my mother that my room would be an adjoining room, since that is what I asked for. Well when we did get there, we got 2 rooms but they were on opposites ends of the hall and then they key wouldn't work for one room. My husband went down to get another key, opened the door and there was only one bed! He went to the desk to check on it, showed them the reservation that he printed from the computer where it said, 2 rooms, 1 adult and 2 children in each room. The desk clerk told him he didn't care what our sheet said, on his computer, it said only one adult in each room but I can give you a cot. Well we didn't want a cot, we wanted what we reserved. The clerk said he couldn't change it because they were booked. After talking for awhile, the clerk finally said he would give us another room. They had someone coming in later in the evening and they would give us their room. I feel like they gave our room away earlier in the day since we were late showing up (4:30). If they gave us someone else's room that quick, I think they did the same thing to our room that would have been closer to each other. They weren't adjoing rooms though because they don't have adjoining rooms. He didn't know why the earlier clerk told my mother the rooms were adjoining. Now we weren't even together. My room, with the 2 girls I brought, was now on the 11th floor and my husbands, with the 2 boys we brought, was now on the 12th floor. I didn't like the fact that they weren't even on the same floor as us now. The room on the 11th floor was rather nice but the room on the 12th floor wasn't at all. Pictures were on the floor and the door to the tv stand was broke. We were told that the outside rooms on this 12 story resort wasn't owned ny the resort but they were condos rented out by the resort for the owners. I think they need to check the rooms more often and make sure things that are broke, get fixed. I don't think we will be staying here ever again. I forgot to add this, my husband called two days before we arrived to make sure of the reservations and they assured him we would have two rooms with two beds in each room

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Ocean Park Resort from 4/22-4/30 2006. My review is a little mixed. We stayed in suite 1004. We rented this condo directly from the owner through vrbo[""]and saved a bunch not having to go through the resort or a rentasl company. The condo was oceanfront on the tenth floor and was a corner unit. It was very clean and well maintained. The views of the Atlantic were incredible. I would rate the condo a 4.5 out of 5. As far as the resort goes it is an older place that could use some TLC. The resort was bit dirty when we arrived. Later on in the week it seemed better but it was still a little bit dirty. The resort was probably really nice 15-20 years ago when it was built. It was still early in the season but I fell its probably alwasys like this.The indoor pool was nice but at times the water seemed a lillte funky. The large heated outdoor hot tub was very nice and relaxing. The staff for the most part doesn't have very much to say and some of the people are a little on the rude side. The elevators in this building are old and could also use some TLC. All in all we had a great time for our 20th or so trip to the Grand Strand. The short comings of the resort were made up by our gorgeous suite 1004. We would stay at the Ocean Park again but only in suite 1004 through vrbo[""].

14 Thank cas5501
South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2005

Hi there folks,

My husband and I found a 1 bedroom condo style room at the Ocean Plaza by pure accident. We had originaly booked our vacation at the Tides Inn, however that place turned out to be filthy so we had to find another room some where else. Wouldnt you know it, we where on vacation during a holiday and so the room rates where highly inflated and or sold out. The rooms we did find available where like the tides inn, discusting!
I think perhaps we had a gaurdian to help us out. We stoped at a motel (I think it was the wave runner)that offered us a comfortable room at there resort. We asked if we could see the room and the clerk handed me the key and told us how to get there. We drove down the street and found the Ocean Plaza Resort. We strolled to the elvator and went up 10 filghts and found our suite! It was absolulty perfect. It was in fact a 1 bedroom fully furnished Condo including all ammenties of home. Large kitchen,living room and best of all a huge balcony with chairs to enjoy the ocean air and breeze.
This was Perfect! We returned to the clerk and happily paid the asking rate, which was surpisingly only $75 a day. He gave us an incredible break.
I recomend this resort to everyone! there are 2 pools one indoors and the outside and a huge jacuzzi. Easy access to the beach.

Although it is not legal, you can often see people displaying small and private firework shows. It is fun to watch them.

Well any ways- i hope that this reveiw was helpful.
PS. Never stay at the following hotels: Tides Inn and the Beach Board walk. they are horrible!

• Stayed September 2004
21 Thank SouthCarolinaLucy
Grundy, Virigina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2005

To start with we had booked the room two and a half months in advance. Our understanding wasthat they had taken our payment of of our credit card,But when we arived they said we owed the entire amount,Whtch realy cut into our vacation funds to say the least.I noticed another couple having more trouble than us with rooms that had already been paid for.Nevertheless we finaly got the whole ordeal straight or so I thought.Don't let me forget to mention how rude and inconsiderate the people behind the desk were.
When we finaly got to our room we noticed headboards laying outsids, but never paid much attention to themuntil we went intothe room,where we found the door facing leaning up aginst the wall,aswell as the pictures.The dining room table was in five pieces,yes(5). the beds were disasimbled in the middle of the floor except for the head boardes.Guess where they were?Yes outside! The room was totaly trashed,It was A wreck.
I went down to the front desk and told them what I had found.They didn't believe me and sent the woman over housekeeping up ,I went with her to see what she had to say about the room.we wen't back down to the front desk and she confirmed what I had said. They said they would have somone to fix it afterwhile.I said "NO I WANT ANOTHER ROOM",He told me to have A seat and some one would be with me in A minute,so I did.Some fifteen minutes later or so,I went back to the desk and demanded another roor or a discount for all th trouble and agrivation I had to go through with.He had the nerve to tell me that he would talk to his manager and let me know somthing tomarrow.
Through this whole ordeal I had tried to be nice and remain calm,but this realy pissed me off. the man knew it too,and told me to go get my family and he would have my refund ready when we got back down. By this time it was 5:30pm, I had driven all night to get here, looked around all day awaiting our 3 pm check in,Still no room.We had to go searching for A room elswhere.
This was the worst vacation I ever had.
THANKS OCEAN PARK RESORT.

• Stayed September 2005
19 Thank littlecub
Bordentown, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2005

Well, my boyfriend and I stayed at Ocean Park Resort from August 21st, 2005-August 28th, 2005. Our room was in the basement, which they refer to as the 1st floor, why I do not know. That is where the staff watches TV and where the old furniture and refrigerators are that are in the process of being thrown out for trash, as well as the entrances to the jacuzzi(s) and pool and beach areas. The only bonus about being in room 104 is that it is pretty quite, (in the hallway because no other guests are really down there) and if you park underground, you are steps from your car and also steps from the pools and jacuzzi and beach, also, you do not have to deal with the raggedy elevator nor much of the other guests, however, this room is supposedly oceanfront but when you enter your balcony for this room, the outside jacuzzi is right there with groups of people not even inches from your balcony...no privacy at all!! Also, the hotel maintenance called themselves recently remodeling this room, however, I like to refer to it really as "patch-up" work because how do you paint a room and replace the carpet and curtains but leave dirty lampshades on the lamps and dirty drop ceiling tiles in the ceiling? Also, someone forgot to paint the bottom of the kitchen cabinets, so that looked dirty. This would have cost minimum $50 to replace...It was okay for what I paid for it but I would probably not stay here again. We requested another room twice but were unsuccessful due to them being booked up. The desk staff were polite but could not help me much. I think since I did not book through them directly and got such an enormous discount by doing so that I was punished by being thrown in the basement/dungeon....lol The other resorts under the same ownership, Patricia Resorts, looked a heckuva lot better than Ocean Park Resort.....

4 Thank Jrzydva
Las Vegas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2005

It is an older place but our room was clean and it was cleaned every day. We never had trouble getting towels or anything that we needed. The view was amazing, we were on the 8th floor. I think people think because it's called Resort that it's going to be like the Four Seasons, but the price alone should tell you it's not. I would for sure go back, we stayed for 6 days and had a great experience.

• Stayed August 2005