“Once A Great Find...Now a Great Disappointment”

Ocean Forest Villa Resort
Ranked #121 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed December 1, 2009

We have stayed at OFV many times. This time there was definite degradation of the rooms/facility. The first room we were assigned was filthy, complete with stained carpet, broken cabinets, outdated furnishings, and a toilet that didn't flush properly. All this eventhough we requested a recently updated room. I was too afraid to have my toddler in the room, so we asked to move. The second room was somewhat better, although the furnishing were clearly in need of replacement. The closets were packed with the owners personal items, we squeezed a few hanging items in the master bedroom. The heater in the family room was broken, and we had to go purchase a heater/fan unit to warm the second bedroom. To top it off - the previous renters left some "good vibrations - not sold in stores" party supplies.

Worse, my son left his Christmas Wish Book on the side table, along with his little craft box. We tried to contact housekeeping - called a ton of times throughout the day. No one returned the call. When I finally pleaded the operator to find someone, the housekeeping manager said nothing was turned in to lost and found. And her response: Better Luck Next Time. She said the room was left messy. She kept changing her response about the room cleaning, stating at one point the room wasn't cleaned for a few days after we left. We left on Sunday, my first message was on Monday, we spoke on Tuesday. What's that about? TRUTH FOLKS - NO WONDER THE ROOMS ARE DIRTY! Anyway, I responded to her point that we had taken all of the trash to the dumpster ourselves and the linens were the only items left in the room.

A manager, Mr Hagy, did speak with us. When we asked about the room conditions, and the inconsisent story even he provided about the room cleaning. He said because we used the hotel.com rate ($69 was too much) that he would give us a $40 cleaning discount. At one point he also said the 2 rooms we had were "under renovation" and were not scheduled to be booked. WHAT HELP - & CAN ANYONE TELL THE TRUTH HERE!

Heads up homeowners and potential renters! You should demand a certain standard of quality. Like I said, we've stayed here on numerous occassions. The location is nice and it's in a quieter area. It's terrible that Sands Management takes such a non-caring approach to its customers. Someone should've been responsive to our concerns and shown a little empathy that my son's book was left - instead of trashing it which is what really happended. Well, last I checked, customers keep a place in business, and word-of-mouth is some of the most respected form of advertisement.

We'd love to stay at OFV, but only if we book through the homeowner. That way we know what we're getting upfront. Goodluck otherwise.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed November 25, 2009

We've stayed at the Ocean Forest Villas many times, in addition to the sister-resort, the Sand Dunes Resort. We like the OFV because it can be relaxing and much quieter than the high-rise Sands properties. These units have two full bedrooms, two full baths, living room, and a full size, fully-equipped kitchen. The Villas (do not confuse with the next-door Ocean Forest Plaza) are 5 buildings, each three stories tall -be advised: NO elevators. Each building has a total of 12 "oceanfront" units. I say ocean "front", because though it is directly facing the ocean, Ocean Boulevard actually separates you from the beach. I feel that is is deceptive to advertise it as oceanfront when it's across the street. That being said, however, the street is single lane and is not high traffic 24/7. Sometimes the car traffic can be noisy, othertimes you don't notice it, and you are actually closer to the sand than at other areas of Myrtle Beach. It is pleasant to sit on your balcony and watch the waves, as there are no other buildings or obstructions to block your view from the rooms.
As part of the Sands Properties, while staying at the OFV you have privileges at the other Sands facilities, including the Waterpark at the Sand Dunes (a 5 minute car ride north on Ocean Blvd.). There are 2 modest outdoor pools and hot tubs at the OFV, but the sunning decks facing the ocean are very nice and private. The landscaping in season is very nice and well-kept. All in all, the facilities are satisfactory if you want a relaxed and peaceful stay. The location in Myrtle Beach is ideal, as Ocean Forest is a primarily residential area, and it is central north or south to all the area's attractions.
My only complaint is that these units are privately owned, but managed by Sands. Therefore, your unit will only be as good as the people who own it. Some are beautiful and kept updated, but other units are outright DOGS. I have been lucky to stay in one particular unit a few times and have been completely thrilled, but the last time, the unit we were placed in was worn and shoddy. Even though I requested my favored unit on the reservation, they do not quarantee its availability. I was disappointed upon arrival to have been told that unit we requested was "being used that month by its owner", so we were assigned a different unit which was awful. However, in 8 days there, there was no sign of any occupation of that unit. Hotel Management was cordial and helpful in attempting to relocate us or repair the filthy/non-working appliances, but they said all other oceanfront rooms were booked (the parking lot was 75% empty all week), so we were unable to move to a better unit. Once the repair issues were resolved, we made the best of it, but were clearly disappointed in the quality of the unit.
We have determined that we will not return to the OFV in the future unless we are guaranteed that we can stay in a kept-up unit. It is likely that we will have to try to contact individual owners of units we have enjoyed and book directly with them. I really like the place and location, but since Sands Resorts is unable to manage quality control of the entire property (by requiring owners to keep their units in good repair), I can't trust Sands to be up-front about that at reservation time (they claim they can't guarantee any specific room). I phoned them from home the night before arriving to ask about the unit we wanted; they could have told me then it was unavailable, but they did not. They let me drive all that way so that I was stuck upon arrival. I won't make that mistake again. I still prefer the OFV to the giant resorts, but I'm going to have to figure out how not to get burned again, and won't be going back there until Sands management fixes this problem, because at this rate, this really nice place is going to go down the tubes if they don't get some consistency here (Sands, are you listening? Homeowners Association - you need to listen, too! Your units will become worthless if you don't get the 'slumlords' to update their units and regulars like me move on and rent somewhere else!) I love Ocean Forest; now get your act together!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank MountainsToSea
Reviewed August 13, 2009

We stayed at Ocean Forest Villas from August 11th through August 15th in Building A, Room 316. The decor was in good condition, but felt dated. The unit had a nice flat screen TV in the living room, and 2 smaller TV's in each bedroom.

The carpet was definitely from several years ago (teal green). We had daily cleanings of our room, which was a plus. The toilets did not seem to work very well, but they were usable.

The location next to the beach is perfect, but make sure to bring chairs if you plan to go to the beach because the resort does not provide any. The beach has chairs with umbrella for rent at $30/day, but for that price you can go to Eagles and buy one.

The only real "complaint" I have would be in reference to the hallway on the south side of the building. The carpet has to be 5-10 years old, wreaks of mildew, and the hallway has not been painted in a while. I'm thinking $4000 in carpet and $500 in paint would make this building 1000000 times better. The room itself did not smell, and was comfortable except the King bed, which could have been a little softer.

I would reccomend this unit because for the money we paid, we wouldn't have gotten more than 2 double beds in a single room at any other resort along the beach. Here, it almost felt like home away from home.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ReviewVille
Reviewed June 16, 2009

We stayed at Ocean Forest Villas for a week this month. Great location, away from the "main drag" so not in the middle of the crowds, very peaceful location, quiet at night. Rooms clean, tastefully decorated and comfortable. Within minutes of everything, but secluded at the same time. I could relax on the balcony and hear the waves breaking on the beach. Only negative was no elevator (we were on the third floor) and not much space in the kitchen for food storage (we ate in the room alot). Two pools and hot tubs on sight. No restaurant on sight. No "bells and whistles", but I didn't pay for that either. Very good deal for the price and we enjoyed our trip! Will definitely stay here again and recommend to friends/family.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2009

We stayed at Ocean Forest Villas # C 112 this past weekend & were very pleased. The condo was extremely clean & very well appointed with anything one could need for a relaxing & comfortable stay. There was no musty smell as has been reported by others (however I am aware that a couple of other condos in another building have this problem because I was in them briefly ). We loved sitting on the balcony watching & listening to the waves roll in & feeling the ocean breeze. This area is residential & not "touristy" which allowed for peaceful walks on the beach & through the neighborhood where lush landscapes could be enjoyed--the property itself has been beautifully landscaped as well. On the other hand there was a wealth of things to do within a short 5-10 minute drive if one were so inclined to venture out. We rented through VRBO & found the owner very pleasant & accomodating encouraging us to call at any time for any concerns......of which we had none. I would definitly recommend this to everyone I know & will definitly be back!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2009

Direct view of the ocean from this third floor (of 3 floors) oceanfront condo, unit C-308. Very private location --- a nice change from the typical high-rise hotels and crowded hotel strip further down the beach. This is a peaceful, quiet getaway with great pools, Jacuzzis, and easy beach access. A very comfortable Stearns & Foster King-size bed in the master bedroom was a nice surprise. This C-308 unit is an oceanFRONT condo we rented through Sands Resorts (some others are oceanVIEW). I have stayed in both types and this oceanFRONT condo was a great experience. Morning coffee with the sunrise and afternoon cocktails with the sunset on the balcony each day is wonderful. Great, central location, yet very private with easy parking. Very romantic. We will be back soon!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MYRTLBCHLovers
Reviewed October 6, 2008

We stayed at the Ocean Forest Villas in Room A-207. I had read many reviews about the place, some good, some not. I am very pleased to say that our unit was extremely clean, no mold on the tub, no bad smells, nothing. The oven looked like it had never been baked in, the fridge was spotless, even the 3 tv's had no fingerprints on the screens. The carpet was in good shape, even if it was not brand new, but I went into this knowing that this is an older building, so there will be some wear. Overall, it was a great experience, and we are planning on staying here again next time.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank bossg45806