“Like having your own place at the beach”

Ocean Forest Villa Resort
Ranked #120 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
North Carolina
“Like having your own place at the beach”
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I've stayed at a lot of different places at Myrtle Beach over the years. I've stayed at Ocean Forest many times. My first stays were with my brother and Dad on a golf package. So later, I took my family. My kids were little then, and we would drive to the Ocean Dunes and have breakfast at the Brass Anchor. I would pay for me and my wife, and the kids ate free (breakfast buffet). That was a great deal, and they still let kids eat free (12 and under). They would also give the kids a "goodie" pack with a shovel and pail for the beach, and some other goodies. The units at OF Villas are huge. Plenty of room to stretch out in. Separate bedrooms for mom & dad, and the kids. And 2 bathrooms. These units are owned by individuals, so some can be dated. This section of the beach is really laid back. Easy to get out on Kings Hwy. is another plus.

Room Tip: try to get a lower level. At the end of a long day, walking up 2 flights of steps can be rough! But...
Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Jon14-6

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 20, 2011

This is maybe my 7th time staying at this property and each time is like the first. Me and a few guys went down to do some fishing and found that it was cheaper to rent here for the weekend then somewhere else. This villa(C316) was clean and very well maintained. The TVs was smaller than the other units that I have stayed in but still nice. I will be coming back for my birthday next month and I am already looking forward to it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank dlhubert
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed September 11, 2011

These villas are individually owned, and maid service is individually handled. We have stayed in 2 different villas and loved both. The beach is one of the most beautiful we've seen, and it is not crowded. Ther resort hot tubs and pools were immaculate and not at all noisy or crowded. The landscaping is extremely nice ( a good indicatory of quality)The owners near our villa were friendly and helpful. Both vacations are among our favorite beach vacations after 50+ years of loving Myrtle Beach.

Room Tip: Look at the pictures online of each unit.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Phyllis R
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We have stayed at the Ocean Forest Villas on 2 other vacations and had a nice room each time. Not this time. We stayed for 14 days and luckily there was only 2 of us. The room (C202) was is very bad need of renovation. The kitchen was missing almost everything. There was not enough flatware to even set a table for 2. No coffee cups, broken dishwasher and refrigerator only 2 glasses. The master bed had broken springs and depressions that made it very difficult to sleep. There were no curtains only blinds on the windows, we had to cover the bedroom window with a blanket to make the room dark. The master bath toilet plugged up 4 times during out stay. We even found 2-3 cockroaches in the kitchen and had to spray around the cabinets. The living room carpet was worn and buckled. One of the living room windows leaked water everytime it rained. The AC was leaking water all over the deck making the carpen contantly wet. There were even spots where the wall paper was peeling. There was only one pace to sit, on the hideaway bed couch and it too needed to be replaced. Enough said. We will never stay at the Ocean Forest Villas again. We have already made reservations at the Island Vista Resort of next year. It is only $700 more for 14 days and is beautiful with beautiful rooms. I would not recomend Sands Resorts to anyone. We have requested a 50% refund which I doubt we will ever see. And yes, we did try to get our room changed and they told us they could not help us. Dunham Family, New Hampshire

Room Tip: Go for a short stay the first visit to MB and check out the resorts while you are there. Select one...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Steven D

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Reviewed September 10, 2011

My family enjoyed our stay,the view at the villa. Lord willing we plan to go back next summer.

• Stayed June 2011
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Such a great little place tucked in the northern end of Myrtle Beach.

Pros~
1. These villas are located where the sky scraper-like condos are few. There are some, but mostly beautiful homes sit within the vicinity. So it felt more like it was a private beach.

2. Our villa was ocean front, despite the small, not very busy road in front of it. I never really worried about my two children crossing the street. I think we only had to wait on cars to pass twice the entire week we were there.

3. My family enjoyed the swimming pool. It wasn't anything fancy, no water slides or lazy rivers. But it was spacious and clean. There are two pools on the premises, two hot tubs and a small kiddy pool. So for a resort that is rather small in comparison to others, the pools were never overly crowded.

4. Our villa was clean! It was obvious that this resort was bulit in the 70s/80s? But our villa had been painted, new carpet had been put down, and everything was spotless. There are two bedrooms and two bathrooms. Both bedrooms were spacious and clean. The master bedroom had a queen sized bed and the second bedroom had two singles, perfect for our two children. I have read reviews about people not being happy with their rooms. My suggestion is to go through a private owner or through a realty company like we did. Elliott Realtly has the unit we satyed in listed as one of their rentals. There are pictures posted on their web site. So there are no surprises as far as the decor goes.

5. The kitchen was well stocked. As a matter of fact, I think we may have been one of the first renters for new owners because some of the utensils were still in packaging.

6. Wi fi worked great! I almost always have signal/connectivity issues while I"m at the beach. But not this time!

7. Overall, this is a wonderful place for a small family on a budget. It is still in Myrtle Beach but no where near all the riff raff you may encounter when staying in the heart of MB. But it is close enough to hop in your car and head down to that area for a night of fun. There are many good restaraunts within a five minute drive and lots of other entertainment venues.

Cons~
1. We stayed on the third floor and there were no elevators. But we did know this going into our vacation. So it wasn't that bad. We did leave all of our beach items (chairs, umbrella, sand toys, etc.) in the back of our vehicle. That way we weren't lugging all that stuff up and down the stairs each day. That simple strategy helped a lot!

2. The television in the living area worked great, but no remote control. You forget how nice simple technology is until you don't have it. However, this complaint won't be true of every villa.

3. No washer/dryer in our villa. But there is one on site. We just never had to time to find it. Thank goodness we brought enough clothes and towels!

To all who choose this place, I hope you enjoy your vacation as much as my family did! Ocean Forest Villas aren't perfect, but it worked for this picky person and her family!

Room Tip: Go through a realty company that offers web specials and posts pics of the individual units online.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
FACB, VP of Marketing at Ocean Forest Villa Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Sands Resorts is very proud to claim Ocean Forest Villas in our collection of resorts. As our guest, you are entitled to the many amenities at our six locations. Among these include a waterpark, indoor pools, lazy rivers, spas, health clubs, saunas, steamrooms, oceanfront dining and lounges, café dining, and live entertainment. In summer, there is free adventure camp, daily cruises, afternoon golf, admission to Wild Water & Wheels, fireworks, and magic shows. It’s all for Sands’ guests at no additional charge.

Guests who book through off-site rental companies may experience some restrictions. Thus, we encourage guests to know what is available.

We hope you will return to Ocean Forest Villas and invite you to experience a Sands’ vacation.

Sincerely yours,

Florence Collins-Brown
VP of Marketing
Sands Resorts
Hudson, FL
Reviewed August 11, 2011

My son and I stayed there for a family reunion where everyone stayed at one of the Sands Resorts hotels. These were individually owned condos, ours was very convenient to the parking lot and we truly did like the condo. When I booked this, it stated oceanview which is kind of a stretch. All the buildings are on an angle so you can see the ocean, unfortunately ours was on the first floor on the back side of the building so the only way it could be called an oceanview is if you stood on the porch and looked over the pool. The condo was very clean, beds and couches were comfortable, the kitchen had everything you needed to make a meal and we felt fortunate that we did not stay in one of the tower rooms in the other resort hotels because the elevators were very slow when we went to visit other family members. The Sands Resort website is a little deceiving because it appears from the photo that all of the buildings are close together. A week before we left I realized that we were 1.7 miles from the main building where the spa, restaurants, water park, etc were. It really was not a problem though because we contacted Beach Bike Shop and they delivered 2 bikes for us to use for the week at a very good price.
I did have 2 services at the spa and I believe it was the best facial I have ever had and also had a very nice body scrub. The technician was very friendly and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and felt the prices were more than fair especially for the service being at a resort.
The food at Mango's was excellent and so was the service. Everyone in the family loved the variety of pools, lazy river and water park, especially all the kids.
Although everything else at this resort was excellent, we had a very bad experience when it came to a family dinner that was planned ahead of time. I do admit that there was a confusion on the day (we said Sunday, they wrote up contract for Saturday and the person who signed did not notice it) but the service, the food, etc couldn't have been worse. There was no one to greet us, just a paper taped to the window and the food was basically inedible. In fact, 5 people ended up throwing up or had other intestinal issues that night and the next day. We had hot dogs that were brown on the outside and pink on the inside, mystery meat hamburgers floating in a type of greasy water, hard buns and condiments, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes, coleslaw and potato salad wilting under heatlamps. I understand that we did order these foods for the party, but for the price we paid I believe the quality of the food was pitiful. Most of us ordered food to eat after we left the "dinner". I think the worst part was that they asked for additional money because there was a confusion over the day and that was the only time we really saw a hotel employee there except when the brought out the food. I did speak to two managers at the hotel before I checked out and they assured me they would look into it for me. Never heard from them. Once I got home, I called and sent an email which they finally did contact the person who originally set the dinner up and did refund $100 of the extra money they asked for. I did talk to a woman at the corporate office and she didn't seem too concerned over the poor quality of the food and basically I felt we paid, we left and it really didn't matter to them. Very disappointing service for an otherwise exceptional resort.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family