Message from TripAdvisor:

Ranked #155 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Fairfax, Virginia
“It smells!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2010

This place was a nightmare to start with. Where ever you walked there was a dreadful sewerage smell. The room was old and worn out. The floor tiles were cracked and broken, piles of hair trapped behind doors, refrigerator old and rusty, blankets on the bed were old & dirty. This place is a health hazard I would not take children anywhere near it.
We immediately booked out and relocated. Even for a low budget hotel this place is nasty. Don't go there.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
waxhaw
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

Thank you for a great summer vacation!!!!!
The entire staff from Ashley the activity folks, to Rebeca the bartender.
The front desk and the maid service made it a 4 star hotel.

Adams, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2010

The hotel is old and dated but the rate is cheap compared to other hotels in the area so my expectations were not that high. We had a room with a balcony overlooking the ocean which was very nice. The room itself I would give a 4.5 on a scale of 1-10 since it seemed old and worn. Ocean Dunes is part of the whole Sands Resort so if I had to do it over again I would have picked the the Sands Dunes which seemed a little newer and up to date. You can use any of the amenities at any of the Sands hotels no matter which hotel you stay. The breakfast buffet is below average. The staff is not great, kind of inattentive at best but not rude. The water park was the best part because you can watch your kids no matter where they are in the water park from a chair and relax. My overall opinion is if you are looking for a cheap hotel and staying for no more then 3 days and not looking for a 5 star experience then it will do. I recommend going to Broadway at Myrtle Beach which is fairly close for something to do in the evening hours. It has lots of stores, restaurants, kids activities, and is designed to look like a big beach board walk.

1 Thank Lavenfield
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2010

After reading the reviews I almost cancelled our reservation but I'm very glad I didn't. We stayed in a 3 bdrm/3 bath room with a great view of the ocean. We arrived very late at night and the first room we were given did not have a great view so I ask for another room. The desk clerk was very accomodating and our second room was wonderful. The accomodations had a private balcony surrounding the living area and one of the bedrooms. It was roomy and had a full kitchen. Granted the accomodations were not brand new but were clean and very comfortable. The best part was the wonderful ocean view, the pool, lazy river, and expansive waterpark located at the hotel. The kids had a blast and I didn't have to take out a second martgage to afford the vacation. It was a wonderful time and the hotel is very conveniently located. I would recommend it for a budget-conscious family.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank SCgirlatheart1
winston-salem nc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2010

With the economy in such foul shape a vacation to the beach is a luxury but this motel is not worth my hard earned money or anyone elses for that matter. I was excited to find a pet friendly motel so we would be able to take our "child" on vacation with us. After check in we were directed to our room. Upon entering the room it was nothing like the photos. The bedspreads are old and cheap, the mattresses were hard and uncomfortable and the sheets didn't fit the bed. We opened the refigerator to stock it with water, snacks and soda only to find it frozen up and not cooling our refreshments. The first day was quite a disappointment but I sucked it up and told myself the next day would be better. WRONG. I opened the night stand drawer and found little bugs crawling around the bible and phone book in the drawers. I had checked the beds for bugs and had not found any but I hit pay dirt when I opened the drawer. At our breakfast bar for 2 mornings in a row an older man who had already served himself once came back to the bar while we were trying to pick out our food and stuck his hand down into the bacon instead of using the tongs. Lost my apppetite very quickly and when the staff were told nothing was done about it. The entire motel is in need of renovation and the carpet is not only dirty but has a foul odor especially the carpet on the walkway. I did so want to enjoy the trip but since the bed was so hard I hardly slept any the entire time we were there. I was glad to check out. The staff were helpful when we asked for towels but for the most part was not an enjoyable experience and we will not be staying there again..period.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank proud2batarheel

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

I picked this property so that my whole family, including my little dog could have a relaxing Easter (spring) break together. First they tried to put us in an "oceanview" , non-pet friendly unit and charge us for oceanfront. The front desk did NOT care about our original reservations. After a chat with the manager, oceanfront rooms suddenly appeared available and we were given an agreed upon rate. We paid what we thought we were being charged and went to our rooms with the blocked view of the ocean at sunrise. Next our television went out and we were told they didn't have anymore, finally they brought up a small 1980's tv with a broken remote. The wireless internet only worked once out of maybe 10 attempts. To top it all off, they charged my card an additional almost $300.00 without my consent after departure for what they say was the correct cost of the rooms. I spoke with the managers and obviously customer satisfaction and hospitality is NOT their number one priority and REFUSED to remove the additional charges although they admitted THEY made a mistake at check in. BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE! You will be charged for bad management.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank DisgruntledTraveler6
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2010

I felt obligated to post a reveiw after reading all of the others. I just returned from a week vacation at the oceans dunes resort. Myself and my family stayed in tower one and it was a wonderful stay! first of all we stayed in room 4140 and it was very well kept, new carpet and the bathroom was just remodled. The room service was there everyday, We had to turn them away 2 days because we had a sick child but they were understanding and offered us clean towels. Second of all I didn't see a single bug in or out of the room, let alone cockroaches that others claim. The elevators were both in wonderful working order, acutually I thought they were very fast! the hallways wer always clean not run down a all. However there was one problem I did have and its not that big of a deal if you go in the summer, but I thought the outside pools were heated, they are not. The waterpark was not what we were expecting, it also would be nice in the summer and for little kids ages(2-7) . I would recomend this place for a family traveling on a budget( Lets face it if you are a family your always looking for a deal)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family