“Been stayin here 4 YEARS, Awesome!!”

Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas
Ranked #153 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 26, 2006

I have been stayin at this hotel in the Ocean Towers , towards the back behind the Villas. I have never had a problem, besides the usual hotel issues .. Shortages of towels or not enough mini shampoo. I think most people expect TOO MUCH from hotels, nothing is going to be flawless!! I love this hotel! I began staying when i was around 10 years old, and am now almost 25, nothing has changed...

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed July 25, 2006

I STRONGLY do not recommend Ocean Dunes Resort and Villas.

To explain my point of view, I don’t think of myself as having extreme high expectations and for this trip, my husband and I (we are in our late 20s) planned to spend most of our time doing tourist type things, not sitting in the room.

We booked 3 nights in an oceanfront room at the Ocean Dunes Resort and Villas through an online travel site for approximately $150 a night during the peak summer season. The hotel was part of a grouping of hotels that make up Sands Resorts (and guests can use any facilities of those hotels during their stay).

When we arrived and checked into the hotel on Friday afternoon, I thought the lobby area was dark and noticed various people standing around. The overall atmosphere seemed a bit sketchy.

We proceeded to our room and honestly were disappointed by the initial appearance (really dated hotel kitsch). The room had a bathroom, a small fridge and microwave, an area for hanging clothes, two double beds, bedside table and a table with two chairs.

Our room was on the 4th floor above the pool and there was very loud music blaring outside. From our balcony, we could tell the pool area was packed with people. I also noticed some trash on the balcony. In the bathroom, one of the washcloths looked dirty, the bathroom mirror was scratched up and there was paint peeling from the ceiling.

We decided to take a walk around the ground/lobby floor to check out the rest of the hotel. In the pool area, the music from a DJ in the corner was so loud that my ears hurt. There was an ice cream shop and a gift shop and a restaurant on site, but we didn’t go in any of these. We walked to our car and drove by the onsite water-park on our way out. It was closed at the time, but I did notice it was open the next day.

We returned to the hotel later that night around 10 pm and by this time the pool was closed. From our balcony, we noticed towels, cups, etc. still lying around the pool area.

We turned on the television and several of the channels were static-y. I also noticed that the bedside table was very sticky (the little pad of paper left by the hotel stuck to it and I had to wash my hands whenever I touched it). There were several pieces of trash on the floor around the bedside table (candy wrappers, a drink bottle top, etc.). Outside there was someone shooting off fireworks on the beach (this lasted until after midnight).

My husband and I were in the bed, watching TV and he got up to use the bathroom. When he did, he noticed a big roach running along the floor. He grabbed his shoe to kill it. Less than 15 minutes later, I sat up and noticed another roach. Again, we got up to kill it and this time, we moved all of our belongings off the floor (I didn’t want to take any little friends home with me!). It seemed the roaches may have been coming under the door b/c there was a space between the floor and door.

Around 1am, I called downstairs to ask for a manager. The manager wouldn’t be in until 8AM the next morning and my husband and I decided we wanted to leave first thing. We decided to sleep with the light near the door left on, hoping that would dissuade more bugs from entering.

After a fitful night of dreaming of roaches, we got up around 7am (on our vacation!!). While my husband got a shower, I called around to find another hotel. The shower was dirty with residue left from the last guest’s bar of soap (which easily wiped right off). Then the tub wouldn’t drain. My husband ended up standing in calf-deep water. I decided not to shower (45 minutes after his shower, the water still wasn’t draining) and we packed up our things and headed downstairs.

When we told the person at the desk that we wanted to leave, she said okay like it happened all the time. We mentioned the problems and she said they did have a problem with roaches and she apologized for the dirtiness of the room. She cancelled the rest of our reservation but couldn’t confirm what had already been billed to our credit card. She said we’d have to check with the online travel site to get our money back for the first night.

We did find another hotel just a few blocks down the road that was much nicer, quieter and cleaner! I do recommend the newly renovated Monterey Bay! The room was bigger, about the same price and we got free breakfast!

So, now I have the joy of following up with the hotel, the online travel site and the credit card company to ensure I don’t get charged (and end up paying for two hotels)!

Long story short, I do NOT recommend staying at Ocean Dunes!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
11  Thank kehs
South Carolina
Reviewed July 9, 2006

Where do I start? Lack of front desk help at check in time would be just the beginning. Three people working when we(my husband and two boys; 3 & 6) arrived at 2:40 P.M. and told our room was not ready. We gave both our cell phone #S to one of the guys and he was to call us around 3:10 when it was ready. At 3:30 I went back to the front desk to find that the guy had left for the day and see our #s laying on the desk. This left two people running the check in now. We were told the room was ready and given our keys and papers & she told us what floor we were on. My family and I gathered all of our bags(around 4 I think) and headed up the elevator. When arriving to what we thought was our floor we discovered by another employee that we weren't in this building but, in the towers. Down we all go and walk across the parking lot to the first tower to only find that wasn't it either. We were in the second tower located just off the road and a good distance from the beach not to say, too far to wallk to the water park that is shared with Sand Dunes beside them(a golf cart would have been handy!). There was a pool for this building but, there was no sunshine shining on it due to the building blocking it. The staff at the front check in were clearly over worked and tired and the luggage handler or "grumpy old man" would suit better, would not take his hands off the one cart the hotel and 2 towers had. After talking with my husband we called Sand Dunes to see if they might have an opening and thank goodness they did. We turned our keys in and checked in to Sand Dunes and finally got settled in. We enjoyed it so much we stayed an extra night. Consider Sand Dunes by far before Ocean Dunes.

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sevierville
Reviewed July 8, 2006

Never again. First, we asked for a crib at check-in. One never came. The water park was broken. My 9 month old was crawling around for fifteen minutes and came back with his hands and knees black. Then I called for a crib again. It never came. My 2 year old could get out the front door. There was no dead bolt. The place was run down and nasty. The bathtub was brown. We left after being there for 3 hours. At checkout, there were numerous people at the desk with complaints. What a surprise...

• Stayed: July 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
st catharines ontario canada
Reviewed June 24, 2006

we stayed in april 2006 we had a great time close to everything staff was outstanding answered every question and request we will be back next year.

• Stayed: April 2006
Reviewed June 23, 2006

When booking make sure the room says OceanFront if you want OF. Most rooms are not oceanfront. In the OF, 5th floor room, we were treated to daily music blaring up from poolside. If you have a napping child, that is not acceptable. We had to wait to receive clean linens until after 1pm. One pillowcase had a hair matted in fluid as well as dirt marks. Trash left in room on floor. Resort not maintained and cleaned properly.

3  Thank SEFowler
Reviewed April 28, 2006

The view from the room is wonderful, but the room is very moist and I had very bad headache from the mold in the carpet. Older hotel that need some fix up.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business