Message from TripAdvisor:

“Terrible Experience”

Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas
Ranked #152 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed September 12, 2005

The Desk staff was great. The Ocean Dunes Condo's were awful.
I don't know who owned 5612, but they need to do some upgrades.
My Finance' is a Diabetic and the little refrigrater was not working properly.
We had no clue we wouldn't even have paper cups. I was disappointed.
The furniture was old and smelly. The decor was about 15 years back.
I wouldn't recommend that unit to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank Sallie54

Reviewed September 10, 2005

This hotel is older. The rooms are spacious, but not very clean. THe carpet needed to be vacuumed, but houskeeping did take care of that. The beds? well.. that is another story... they were horrible. We both had a backache the next day and checked out. THe hotel does have a fitness facility, which i appreciate, but no hot tub! THe pool side bar was nice and the pool was clean. The staff was also very friendly. I would stay here only in a pinch.

Stayed: September 2005
2  Thank Zipper775
Reviewed September 6, 2005

Just got back from a 5 day 4 night stay at the Ocean Dunes in Myrtle Beach. I must say when we got there, it was rather late so we did not have the problems with check in as others seemed to have had. Got our room right away and got room 7501 on the fifth floor with an oceanview. You could see the beach/ocean from the balcony. When we first walked in the room, I was not very happy. The room to me smelled like cat pee or even worse human pee (like you smell in the alley). The room was stuffy and we right away turned on the air conditioner. I was really debating on whether or not to go down and complain or to just stay put. It was already almost midnight so I opted to stay quiet at least for the night. The bathroom is small but we didn't have a problem with it. The room definitely need updating. The chairs in the room were disgustingly stained and I was seriously afraid to even sit on them. The carpet looked dirty so I did not venture to walk on it unless I had my flip flops on or my slippers. There is a vanity outside of the bathroom which was nice. Had a microwave and fridge that really helped out. The shower was nice and clean and did not see any type of mold or mildew in there. The shower curtain had a couple of mildew stains but nothing major.

Housekeeping always had our room cleaned and left enough towels for the two of us. The elevators were slow but nothing really to complain about there. Went down to the bar and it was rather quiet before the big Labor Day weekend deluge. Met Linda the bartender and she was really nice. Giving us tips on where to grab a bite to eat. The bar smelled too like the room. Also saw housekeeping people in the halls during the day time spraying some pink colored stuff on the carpeting (probably something like febreze). The room ended up smelling decently after running the air and I did purchase a candle to help.

I would definitely not call this place anywhere near 4 star. More of a 2 star place. It served it's purpose for us. We golfed 18 holes everyday so our time in the room was rather limited. Used it for sleeping and showering otherwise we were hardly ever there. I don't think I would really recommend this place unless someone was getting a great deal. Only saw one palmetto bug in the lobby of the 5th floor where you wait for the elevators. I think if they ripped out all the carpeting and just left tile, the place would be a lot better off. None of those nasty smells left in there.

Oh and if you have a golf package, please be aware that Panther's run and Lion's Paw are about a 45 minute drive away from the resort!

• Stayed: September 2005
5  Thank ca_yee
Reviewed July 31, 2005

We had a family reunion vacation at Ocean Dunes. We stayed in side by side two bedroom villas. The unit was old and worn and showed of countless guests over the years. Bathrooms were a bit moldy and appliances functional but rusty. We found the rooms big enough and we could see the ocean from our balcony. Everything was close and convenient. The kids loved the pools and the water park. The location was great however and we enjoyed being able to stay with family in one unit.

The unit next door, I should note had been rencently renovated and was in much better condition than ours with newer furniture and nice kitchen cabinets and appliances. I guess it's the luck of the draw. In the future, especially as the kids get older, I would choose another hotel.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank touristtogo
A TripAdvisor Member
brooklyn, ny
Reviewed July 26, 2005

Booking Ocean Dunes hotel in Myrtle Beach for six friends was embarrasing.
12 hours of driving to 3 dirty rooms-No attempt to place us together after booking 3 months prior. - No parking spaces available-Information at front desk uneventful - Ocean Views were of dumpsters not ocean. Lacked beach towels, chairs, umbrellas. Hall, wall, were dirtywith rust and cob webs and torn carpeting.

Priced paid for this *** NOT! $180 per night

Loved Myrtle Beach-and attractions - Stampede, Carolina Opry, Legends,
Planet Hollywood. Ramandos Italian restaurant great. Beaches great.

Hampton Inn (No. Carolina and Fredericksberg, VA are also worth noting.
Well maintained.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
South Carolina
Reviewed July 10, 2005

I don't recommend this hotel to anyone. Not even free. I took my son, mom, and niece for a short 3 night getaway and we hated it. Mold and mildew in the bathroom, mold on the shower curtain, hair and blood on the sheets(bed wasn't changed from the previous guest), dishwasher had rust on it and falling apart, and the carpet/couch was dirty. I tried to get another room in the hotel and it was in the same condition. I stayed in tower 1. I ended up cleaning my room enough to get through the night. They wouldn't send up housekeeping, I had to go to front desk to pick up cleaning supplies and fresh linen. My son and niece both ended up sick from the mold and dirt. We checked out the next day. Please do not let anyone tell you different. This place should be closed. This is why they don't show 360 views of their hotel and rooms. Its nasty! worse vacation
ever

• Stayed: July 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 12, 2005

My family stayed at the Ocean Dunes (Tower II) and considered the hotel great for the price and what we were looking for. Our room had 2 dbl beds, a Murphy bed and pull out sofa. One full and one half bath, a kitchen, dining and living area with a view of the beach. This was great for the four of us. The room was very clean and the hotel staff was incredible. After we spent a complete day out shopping and eating, we arrived back at our room around 8. A few hours later, while getting ready for bed, we discovered that the pull out sofa did not have bed linen. We called the front desk, around 11 pm, and housekeeping promptly brought the linen! This resort so met our needs, that we are already making plans to return in the fall.
If you are looking for a nice, clean resort then this is it!

• Stayed: May 2005