“Large corner room and wonderful beachfront balcony”

Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas
Ranked #152 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This hotel, or group of hotels and spa are very convenient on 75th ave and the ocean. Room was very big and clean, but the building and the rooms are on the older side. Quiet lobby. Nicole beachfront balcony with two chairs and a small table. Rec'd coupons, but couldn't stay for dinner -- wanted to get to broadway, restaurant was really in other building. Room did have a nice frig and microwave. Need to update towels---very, very old.

Room Tip: No place for breakfast--restaurant only open for dinner in nov.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sands R, Digital Marketing Director at Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Thank you for writing us a great review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay! We do have a breakfast facility at Ocean Dunes, Brass Anchor, hopefully you can check it out next time. Thank you for your feedback on our towels we will pass along the information. We hope you will stay with us again!

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Ocean Dunes is affordable and very close to the ocean. We request this unit everytime. The unit is modern,clean and makes you feel right at home. The balcony furniture was new and different from what was there last time we stayed. Free golf at diamond back!! Will keep coming back and will stay in 6062 Tower II.

Room Tip: Tower II Unit 6062
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Yes, we love this unit, too! We are so glad you enjoy it also. Our homeowners have done a great job at keeping the unit upgraded. Thank you for your feedback we appreciate it. Can't wait until your next trip! Thanks for the pictures as well!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

This Resort is pet driendly only in Ocean Dunes main building and was a wonderful place to stay with my family and our 8 yr old Boxer ..she was a little cranky but the Bell Hop and Security were extremely nice and loved her.this Resort was very clean .management were great ..we will go back and stay there ..

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank vacation013

Thank you so much for you great review, we really appreciate it! We are very happy to call Ocean Dunes our pet friendly property as we realize many people like to travel with their pets. We are glad you will stay with us again, and experienced great customer service. Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Had yet another great stay in Ocean Dunes Tower 2 Unit 6062. We request this unit every time we go. It is clean, modern, and a pleasure to stay in. We love to sit out on the balcony enjoying the view of the Atlantic and this time were so excited to see dolphins while sitting there! The unit provided everything we needed including a full refrigerator and stove with oven. There is a brand new washer and dryer just one floor up and we took advantage of that too. We had no problems during our stay and love the location. We will continue to return to Ocean Dunes.

1  Thank mas0509
Sands R, Digital Marketing Director at Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Glad to hear you had a great experience! There were a ton of dolphins out this past week! It is such a unique thing to see. Thank you for writing a review for us we appreciate it!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The term "resort" is a joke for this place. I didn't see any "villas," but if they were as bad as the room accommodations, that is also a misnomer. The only thing this dump has going for it is its proximity to the ocean. I enjoyed being about a football field length from the surf. However, that is where the vacation atmosphere ends.
To describe this place the kindest term I can use is shabby and dirty. Rips in the carpet; holes in the bedding; crud in and on the ice machine; ice scoop in filmy, bug-infested water; peeling paint and plaster. First night I found an almost dead cockroach in the bathtub. Next day went out and bought Lysol to spray for germs etc. Refrigerator did not work and had partially eaten candy bar on shelf from previous occupant, so refrigerator had not been cleaned. Carpet so dirty that my socks were dirty from walking on it. Linoleum floor sticky, so I used towels to wash floor. One of the towels had some kind of brown residue spot on it. Third day found cockroaches running in the bathroom. Went out and bought Raid roach spray and sprayed all the baseboards. Both beds were sunken in and lumpy so slept very poorly. Cleaning people did not remove used soap and wash sinks. I thought I had the roaches at bay, but the day I left, one went scurrying across the wall and then behind the headboard. When the bellman came to help me with the bags, another roach scurried across the floor by the door and he stepped on it! Now any eggs on the roach will be spread further throughout the facility.
I went to breakfast the first morning and the hostess was anything but pleasant and the food was subpar. I didn't eat there again - especially after the roaches.
The night before I was leaving, a lady in the lobby asked if I had gotten a "welcome package." When I told her "no" she asked when I had arrived and then when I was leaving. She couldn't understand why she hadn't seen me - maybe if she had been at her station when I arrived she would have.
I will never go back to this place and will recommend that anyone considering going there should reconsider. I was sent there by a travel company from which my husband and I had purchased a travel package. They will be hearing from me as well - they should be embarrassed to send anyone to this facility, especially for the money I had to pay!

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!!!! If you stay here, bring plenty of Lysol and Roach spray!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Susan43845

We are sorry you did not have a good experience staying with us. We are sorry you missed our villas as we have very many nice ones to the right of our main building. If you could please tell us the unit you stayed in or the last name of the reservation, so we may look at our housekeeping records. We do many renovations during the off season and want to make sure this unit is fixed if there are issues. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed two nights. I would probably stay here again for the above two reasons - It's not fancy and it's an older hotel so seems a little tattered and our bathroom was very small but we managed OK. The location right on the beach and a Starbucks right next door made me happy. It was an inexpensive place to sleep while spending most of the day exploring this lovely little city and walking on the beach. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, especially the hotel shuttle driver (Tony) who was more than accommodating when we needed an early ride to the airport the next day to pick up our rental car; a engaging and jovial guy with tons of good info on where to eat and what to see. Rating this a 4 bc we paid $60 a night (internet price) which we felt for the location and our needs was a great deal. One thing to watch - when booking on the internet, they deducted the money immediately from my credit card and when I checked my credit card bill I noticed that it was double what I had agreed to. However, when I called, they immediately credited me the correct amount with their apologies. I don't know about the housekeeping issues others have mentioned. I never let anyone in my room when I stay at a hotel.... I get my own clean towels when needed.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for writing us a great review. We will be sure to pass along your kudos to Tony. He is very friendly!! The Starbucks is so nice to have close by! So glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will stay again.

Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Honestly, we paid $39/night and had amazing ocean views. However, there were cockroaches crawling all over the floor. The room was huge which was great to have so much room but every thing was outdated and just looked dirty. For the price, you can't beat a place to stay while you enjoy the beach. Do not stay if you are creeped out by bugs. DO STAY if you can ignore the cockroaches and are looking to save money. We didn't spend much time in the room so it wasn't too bad but honestly this place just wasn't a resort at all. Very old and outdated but you cant beat the price... We will not return to this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank MrsT813

We are very sorry to hear you had a Palmetto bug issue . Since these bugs are native to this area it is very hard to completely get rid of all of them, but we do spray frequently! We are doing most of our renovations in the off season so we hope to have things looking new soon. Please do check out our Sand Dunes property as it is newer and more updated.