Message from TripAdvisor:

“Reviewing Ocean Dunes from July 10th thru July 15th”

Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas
Ranked #155 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Gaffney, South Carolina, United States
“Reviewing Ocean Dunes from July 10th thru July 15th”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I rate this property as excellent with the hope I am right. My family and I will be staying in an Oceanview 1 Bdrm in Tower II Ste from July 10th thru July 15th. While on vacation I will be reviewing this hotel for Myrtle Beach hotel websites along with a few Myrtle Beach Brochure. Myrtle Beach prides itself on having great hotels for any budget while keeping up standards suitable for your stay. Their websites and/or brochures do not want hotels lacking in cleanliness, hospitality, and/or giving false representation about the hotels and/or rooms you will be staying in, to be associated with their sites and/or brochures. Many of the lower reviews I've seen are based on outdated furnishings, flooring not to their liking, mild water damage in certain areas, and descriptions of an older hotel. Well, news flash Ocean Dunes is an older hotel. These issues are normal and expected when staying in an older hotel. Anyone wanting a luxury room needs to stay at one of the pricier luxury hotels instead of staying at an economy hotel and comparing it to the luxury. Now lack of cleanliness, air conditioners not working, lack of help and/or friendliness from staff and management, misrepresentation of rooms, odors in rooms, bugs (other than the occasional ant, spider, gnat, etc. which you may see in any hotel or home for that matter.), and/or anything along this level is absolutely unacceptable. I am hoping when we are there the reviews given that raised these issues were either given falsely, have been exaggerated, and/or have been rectified. I will add tripadvisor to my list and be sure to come back to give my expert review on the Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas based on my families stay there. It always helps to go with an open mind and make your own judgements based on your personal experiences. I hope you all have a wonderful summer. :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Terra C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
New Bern, NC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

All around it was a disappointment. Our non-smoking room smelled like cigarettes. The hotel staff did come in and change all of the bedding but it didn't help. The rooms haven't been updated in ~15 years and definitely need it. The bathrooms are extremely tiny - barely one person can fit inside let alone two and the shower drain was clogged so you were standing in dirty water at the end of your shower. The beds were uncomfortable and my husband was looking forward to going home just to sleep without pain. We tried to make reservations at the spa and was told by the front desk they were open more than once. We walked up and checked multiple times and always found them closed. They called after we had checked out to say they were on vacation however I find it odd that the front desk didn't know about this. The staff at the front desk was less than knowledgeable. We called asking about the water park, and only after we walked there did we find out it was closed and had been closed at the time we called for information. The "free gift" was nothing more than an envelope with all the local attraction brochures that you could have just picked out yourself. The concierge herself did nothing more than have us sign up for a time share presentation that she said would last only 2 hours (we were there for almost 6 hours...) The breakfast buffet was mediocre but our waitress was very friendly. The best kept part of the hotel is the Hall of Hero's which is a must see.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

We found this place after checking out of a nasty resort down the street. This place was very nice. We had an ocean front balcony on the 2nd floor and it was perfect. This place is very dog friendly for our 110lb dog. They give you a bag of goodies for your dog too. We could leave him on the balcony and swim in the pool right below the balcony. The place was very clean including the room, hallways and pool. The bathroom was very clean also. We cannot comment on housekeeping as we had our dog so we did not have them come in. We would just ask for towels/toilet paper etc when we needed it. We received spotty service with obtaining those items but I guess housekeeping was gone for the night and the front desk did not have those items on hand. I would suggest maybe the front desk keep extra towels, washcloths and toilet paper for people who need it when housekeeping has gone home. We had a microwave, fridge and coffee pot in the room. The room was very spacious.
The only issue I had with this place was our bed. My daughters bed was perfect but our bed was like a bowl. When my husband and I layed down, it was so sunk in that I would roll in the middle. I had to place a pillow between us so I didn't roll in the sunk in middle. They really do need to replace this bed.
The view was perfect and the beach was nice. We rented the chairs/umbrella in front of the resort for $30.00
Its very hard to find a place that takes large dogs and we will return to this resort if we ever go back to Myrtle Beach.

1 Thank Moonrider
Penn Yan, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hallways are disgusting. There is even mold around some of the door frames to some hotel rooms. Parts of the hallways are falling apart. The rooms are nasty, we didn't even want to touch anything when we walked in. The floor wasn't cleaned or swept properly. The ceiling and top of the walls had water stains. Not to mention the room stunk very bad. Also they didn't have a lot of outlet plus, they were being used with the lamps and everything else they had in there. The microwave was dirty, looked nasty. I wouldn't recommend staying there at all, find some place nicer to stay.

Room Tip: 4th floor is nasty, wouldn't stay on that floor at all.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Demonica8
Sands R, Digital Marketing Director at Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
We are very sorry you were disappointed with our resort. We hope you reported your issues with our manager on duty so they could look further into fixing them. We do everything we can to keep up with the cleanliness of the hotel and property. Mold is common in these parts of the state because the salt water tends to eat away at things and causes us to have constantly damp air, but we do try to eliminate as much of it as possible. We hope you had a good vacation!
Asheboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have stayed at the Ocean Dunes for many years. Most recently I stayed over the Easter holiday and had a disappointing experience. I sent an email to the management of the hotel to inform them of the incidents. Not only were they empathetic, they were responsive and apologetic. So upon my return for a week in June, I was pleasantly surprised. I had an excellent room, with excellent service and even a call from management to see how my stay was. FANTASTIC! That is what customer service is all about. Hearing your customers, meeting their needs, and earning their business again. Ocean Dunes has my business for MANY YEARS TO COME!

Knikki
Asheboro NC

Room Tip: the Towers are spacious for families
2 Thank Knikki630
We really appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. Often times people only leave reviews when they have a complaint so thank you for providing us with some positive feedback. We are glad you will stay with us again, as we continue to offer great customer service. Hope you have a good summer!
Ashburn, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

One of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in! Just walking to our room, we noticed that the hallway didn't look like it had been vacuumed in weeks. We had friends who had stayed there before and raved about it. Not sure if we were given one of their older rooms because we booked at the last minute and had a pet, but we definitely would not stay there again. The rooms smelled, the bathrooms were disgusting. There was hair on the shower walls and shower liner. The only thing that was decent about the room was the view of the ocean from the balcony.

They give you a welcome bag with dog treats and a plastic doggie bow, and call themselves "pet-friendly", but there is no place to walk your dog. All of the grassy areas have signs that say "keep pets of grass". The thing that kills me is that they charge you $50 extra per night for your pet!

Not worth it!

1 Thank Rose T
We are very sorry you were disappointed with our resort. We hope you reported your issues with our manager on duty so they could look further into fixing them. We do everything we can to keep up with the cleanliness of the hotel and property. We pride ourselves on being one of the few pet friendly resorts on the beach. Many times these rooms need special cleaning attention this is why we charge the extra fee. State and city laws prevent dogs from being in certain areas at certain times of the year. We hope you had a good vacation!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Booked a pet room for one night overlooking the beach. We wanted to stay an extra night and the staff helped get us booked and transferred into another room (ours was booked the next night). Straight walk to beach, plenty of things to do at the hotel or around it. Everyone was great! Rooms were a little outdated but who cares? We stayed on the beach!

• Stayed June 2013
Sands R, Digitial Marketing Director at Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
We really appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. Often times people only leave reviews when they have a complaint so thank you for providing us with some positive feedback. We agree, the rooms are a little outdated but people spend most of the time not in the room, but on the beach! So, we are glad you enjoyed your vacation and we hope you will come again!