“No problems here, we loved the Ocean Dunes”

Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas
Ranked #153 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed February 25, 2008

My husband and I decided on Myrtle Beach this year rather than a cruise, as we both love golfing. We went online and checked the resort then called our travel agent to set up a golf package. She recommended the Ocean Dunes so we booked a 4 night package (ended up staying 5 nights) in a one bedroom suite. Two days prior to leaving, I read the reviews online and became very skeptical about this place, especially after reading about the rooms.
I was a bit nervous when we checked in but Ray, the person at the front desk was awesome, and very helpful. We got to our room and found it very pleasing!! The room was very clean and nicely decorated. The entire staff was friendly and our room was cleaned on a daily basis. Yes the halls need some paint and the place is a bit dated, but for the price of our package, I was very satisfied with the Ocean Dunes. We were on the 12th floor and only seen our room so couldn't compare to other rooms, but I would definetely go back to this hotel. Sometimes you just can't believe everything you read and I am thrilled that we stayed here. Too bad the weather wasn't a little more accomodating but that is the chance we took by booking in February. I give this hotel and its staff a 4 star.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Beth56Ridgetown

Reviewed September 26, 2007

My parents and I had stayed at this hotel many times when I was a teenager. It was always above average and comfortable. Apparently a hotel can go way downhill in the span of a few years. We booked a 2 bedroom Villa because there was going to be my parents, me and my boyfriend, my brother, sister-in-law, and nephew. Before going to the hotel I got online and looked at the pictures of the room. It appeared to look pretty nice.

Of course the pictures had to have been about 10 years old. When we got to the room, we were in for a shock of our life. The room was very dirty. The bed linens had cigarette burns in them. One was covered in what appeared to be pink glittery nail polish. I literally had to clean the bathroom sink because it had hair from where a man had shaved still all over it! The kitchen was fair. The pictures showed that the room had a bar with seating, and our room didn't have that at all. Not to mention that paint was peeling off the walls

The worst thing of all was that we got this room because it had a pull out sofa bed so my boyfriend could sleep on it. However when we pulled out the sofa bed and he tired to lay on it, he sunk immediately to the floor. The sofa bed was being held together by about 2 springs on each side. He ended up having to sleep on the floor by pulling out the mattress.

The hotel staff was totally incompetent. We repeatedly asked for extra towels. My mom would write a note to housekeeping requesting extra towels and leave $5. The housekeeping maids would take the $5 but not leave extra towels. Then we'd call down and request towels and the front desk would say they were sending someone and we'd wait a few hours and still not have the towels delivered. The biggest shock came when my boyfriend and I were sent down to the office to get extra towels. A young woman in her late twenties was there with a baby on her hip. Apparently the elevators in the main tower were out and weren't going to be fixed until later that evening (we eventually saw the truck leave at around 11:00). She was complaining because her room was up on a high floor, it was just her and her baby, she had luggage and had no way to take her luggage up to her room. You wanna know what the attendant on duty said? "That's not my problem!" A hotel with competent staff and some idea of customer service would never say this! The woman then started cussing the young man out (he was probably about 18 years old), because she had paid $1000 for her stay and she didn't like the way she was being treated. A competent hotel staff would have either a.) offered to take her bags up to her room using the stairs themselves b.) offer to upgrade her to a room in one of the towers that had a working elevator (that would also have a larger room). I just couldn't believe that this man would tell a woman with a baby that it wasn't his problem that the elevator wasn't working and expected this woman to either tote her luggage up 20 something flights of stairs with a baby on her hip, or wait until midnight to go up to her room.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank ama1221
Reviewed September 3, 2007

NOTE: See my pictures for details! My search for a budget hotel for Labor Day was not going good until I found this great rate for Ocean Dunes. So I booked this place when the price was right. We had a reservation for an oceanview room for 3 nights. We arrived around 9pm Friday night and there was a slight line at check-in. There was a gentleman at the counter having the following conversation with the front-desk lady... "I just can't sleep in that room. Ma'am, it has bugs. It is filthy. I paid good money for this reservation and I just can NOT stay here. This is just disgusting!" So she's trying to "find" him another option. I don't know what all they "tried" but it didn't seem to be going well. So he moves on to the manager. Same story. I check in. No problems there. We are in the building on the ocean (the building where the front-desk is). I'm scared going to my room. Poor guy at the front desk has me worried. The front-desk area has a grose looking couch and the elevator area is beyond scummy. How hard would it be to get a new couch? That would have made ALOT of difference. Seeing that old, torn thing really sets the place up for "seeming" like a dump. The carpet in the elevator area is as dingy as carpet can be. The stairwell smells like a heated un-vented porta-potty. I am scared. We get to our room. The door is lacking paint in a few areas. The key works. I'm still scared. BUT guess what?... The room is old but CLEAN. I don't know if people (that said the rooms are dirty) confuse old with dirty (you kind of expect it to be dirty maybe if it is run-down?) but it was truly clean. Boring, dated & unloved but clean and functional. Let me clarify clean. The tub could NOT have been any cleaner. Sparkly white clean. Now, perhaps some rooms are cleaner than others. Perhaps my tub was clean because it got too black and moldy and they replaced it recently or something. I just have to assume based on the other reviews, that some rooms here are clean and some are not. The 'kitchen' area (part of the bathroom, hehe) was a microwave (clean), a tiny frig (clean) and a coffee pot (clean--no coffee included). The beds had flat sheets instead of fitted sheets (they didn't fit well but were white and free of stains). The room did smell like stale smoke a bit. I had requested a non-smoking room but it was not a deal-breaker for us. The view was FABULOUS. The water park was SUPER! My son loved it. We went at 10:00 every a.m. and it was uncrowded for an our or so. The mid-day was packed. The other pools were clean but packed too. The pizza place at Sand Dunes was yummy. Parking wasn't a problem. Noise wasn't a problem. (No more noise than any other place at Myrtle). Housekeeping did a fine job. So when it was time to check out, they plopped an extra, unexplainable $106 on my bill and tried to play it off. It took 2 front-desk people, a calculator and much explaining (on my part - I was adding up the rate plus the tax, minus what they already charged my cc and trying to show them that there was still an extra 106 on there.) I left with a balance on my statement but a handwritten signed "0 balance" written in. My fingers are crossed that this does not become a problem later. Their computer system and/or staff need some work in this department. There was another lady griping about a very bad experience she was having with the hotel in general. So, bottom line.... I stood close enough to hear only 2 other guests conduct their business with the staff and both conversations I heard were very negative. Mine was not great but worth the very little I paid. The water park, view and price made up for the grose lobby/elevator, the poor accounting and the overall 'rundown' feel of the place. I would NOT recommend this place but I MIGHT go back if the price was GREAT (I'm not too picky).

10  Thank KindredSpirit07
Reviewed August 30, 2007

What a sad shell of a formerly decent hotel. Management has clearly not invested much in maintaining the Ocean Dunes building which occupies a jewel of a location right on the beach.

Maybe it was the 3-inch cockroach in our room that's the most obvious example of neglected housekeeping, but there were also the little details that to a wearly traveller seem personally offensive: the ill-fitting pillowcases which were pitifully squeezed over a meager portion of the grungy pillows; the greying sheets that hardly cleared the edges of the beds, revealling thin, bare mattress at the slightest touch; the scratchy, pill-encrusted blankets, or the sagging, thrift-store couches begging to be put out of their misery in the elevator alcove...

Thank goodness we were able to move the following day to the lovingly-cared-for Jade Tree Cove condos next door!

4  Thank travel_rarely
Reviewed August 27, 2007

Great hotel...I loved the location, the rooms. The staff was curtious and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. True the hotel was old but it is well kept, and clean. The elevators were quick. The pool was clean. Even the food was good . Prices of the food and drink were reasonable. I will be back next year and the year after. We had one small problem with the electric in our room but it was taken care of promptly. The only problem I found was the red indicator light didn't work on the coffee maker. (Big problem... huh?) Can't wait till next year!!!!!!

2  Thank dakota283
Reviewed August 23, 2007

We had a family of 8. We decided on staying here with this resort because it was able accomodate all of us. It had everything we needed. We stayed in a villa and lets just say we were were so surprised on the ammendities that they offered. We stayed for a week and eating out gets old, so we were surprised it had EVERYTHING we needed to cook a nice meal. The housekeeping staff were great, we were able to look over the lack of towels because they were able to get them right away (except the last day when a transformer blew). The water park is small but accomodating. Close enough to the ocean where I got some beautiful pictures, but not ocean front. The spa on the property is awesome. They have indoor and outdoor pools which is nice if you just want to get out of the heat but swim. The only complaint is the poolside bar, their lack of response caused my sister and I to get up and leave. Would I recommend this to families, yes. Couples, yes but get in one of the towers at either the Ocean Dunes or the Sand Dunes. The only thing I have to say, is do not believe everything you read. We read all the reviews on the Ocean Dunes and we were concerned. But, what a great surprise it was to find that we made the right choice.

The other great thing, it was so close to everything. This was my first time to Myrtle Beach, so I was nervous. But, I would recommend them to everyone.

1  Thank slbeall
Reviewed August 23, 2007

I stayed at the Ocean Dunes from 8/18-8/22. I was a little nervous on the way down after reading the reviews. I am glad to say that this place is just fine. I was happy with our room. It was clean, and the maid did a nice job every day. The staff at the desk was helpful and polite with the few requests that I had. The waterpark was enjoyable even for our 1 year old. He liked the lazy river ride. The pools were kept clean and I saw were vacuumed every day, and I was able to park right next to the hotel every time we went out and came back. The only complaint that I have is that the ice machines were not working on any floor to fill up our cooler for the trip back. If you are looking for an upscale place, this isn't it. But if you are looking for a good hotel that isn't overpriced, this is a good place for your family.

4  Thank frankdp23