“Ocean Reef's Costomer Service is Aweful” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Reef Resort

Ocean Reef Resort
Ranked #18 of 218 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
“Ocean Reef's Costomer Service is Aweful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I am currently staying here as I write this review... This is our 4th year in a row coming to Ocean Reef for our end of Summer vacation and immediately upon our arrival on Sunday we noticed a difference from years past. Merli checked us in at the front desk and was rude and condescending. She gave me an "amount due" that was over $100 more than our quoted price when I booked our stay. After my persistence she twisted up her lip and said, "She found my reservation but that their rates had changed since I made it but that she would change it back!" That wasn't my fault!!! The lobby was full of guests waiting for their rooms and miraculously at 3pm on the dot, all rooms became available. I can't believe no rooms were cleaned and available while guests were waiting for hours. We came in and got settled, took a walk on the beach and went to get in the jacuzzi and there were no clean towels on either of the two towel bins. We came up to our room soaking wet and unable to dry off any. That was day one! Yesterday, day two, there was ONLY ONE TOWEL in the towel bin rack when we went to get in the jacuzzi before noon so apparently pool towels are something no longer guaranteed! We also had to stop by the front desk to ask for a courtesy dish soap because our coffee maker still had dried coffee in it from the previous guests. Yuck! I hope they received the $25 fine for leaving dirty dishes! Today is day three and I had to call down for toilet paper 3 times this morning before someone finally brought us some. That was frustrating having to wait for... The only great thing I've loved so far is seeing Walter and Maggie this morning in the Cafe Du Port!!! Let's see how the remaining 3 days go!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
13 Thank Andrea27410
Crystal V, Front Office Manager at Ocean Reef Resort, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Andrea27410,

Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay. I do apologize for any inconvenience you encountered during your stay with us, I do know my night manager had contacted you through your stay and unfortunately, most of what you have written was not mentioned or we would have been more than happy to resolve the issues immediately.

I am sorry we were not able to get you in earlier than our 3pm check in time. Our housekeeping staff works hard to have all rooms prepared as soon as possible, and they do an amazing job, but we are not always able to grant our guests request for an early check in. While I understand that we did have an issue with your rate at check in, I can assure you Merli is by far one of the most customer service oriented individuals we have on staff and I do apologize if there was miscommunication.

We take great pride in our pools and I have spoken with the recreation manager in regards to your concerns. We never want our guests to want for anything and your experience is definitely not our normal, as proven by the hundreds of reviews we receive here. I would be more than happy to discuss your stay with us and resolve any additional concerns.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
Conway, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed at Ocean Reef Resort from Sept 9 until Sept 13 and thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of our stay. I reside locally and reserved a 3 bedroom 2 bath condo, sight unseen, for me and 5 of my highschool girlfriends (1960) from the midwest. Our view of the beach and sunsets from the 11th floor were amazing! The condo was clean, roomy and very comfortable...perfect for us! The pool and "lazy river" were favorites, as were the drinks at the Banana Boat Lounge! The close beach access made it very conducive for walks in the surf and shelling. .All of the staff was helpful and nice - made us feel at home. Parking was convenient - there are even some covered spaces. Overall, the resort was very clean, attractive and well run. I definitely would recommend staying at The Ocean Reef for a fantastic vacation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Carol C,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your vacation with us! We are thrilled to hear you and your friends had such an amazing time with us and we hope you will visit us when you all get together next year!

NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were on the 14th floor ocean view 3 bedroom. I requested a higher floor and they made it happen. The water features at this resort were very kid friendly. Check in was busy but they kept it moving. The breakfast buffet was very good and the waitress was nice. We had no trouble with the elevators as others have in reviews. The only drawback is the parking is across the street in a small uncovered lot . If that is full, you have to park a block away at the garage but there was always a place to park. We will return.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
Dear Imk103,

Thank you for such a great review! We are thrilled you and your family had such a great time with us and we thank you for your recommendations and honest feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve our guests experience with us and we appreciate your letting us know your concerns. We look forward to your next visit!

Bristol, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My three sisters and I enjoyed staying last week for four nights at Ocean Reef. Room was clean, good service when we requested blankets and towels. We had breakfast in the restaurant our last day and we had the most gracious, sweet waitress named Maggie. We were so impressed and disappointed at the same time that we did not have breakfast some of the other days. Hopefully she will still be there since we plan to return next year! The only downside we had a parking ticket on vehicle when we returned to car to load. Don't park in the side parking!

Dear Tracy H,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us! We also thank you for your recognition of Ms Maggie in our Café du Port! She is truly an asset to our resort and embodies what our resort prides itself on, our customer service! thank you again and we look forward to your next visit.

South carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We stayed at the Ocean reef Resort for four days and enjoyed every minute of it. The room was exactly what we expected. Nice oceanfront with two queen beds. Everything was very clean. We enjoyed the game room, hot tub, and the view from our 10th floor balcony. ALL of the staff was very nice from the front desk to the housekeeping staff... We will be back again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Crystal V, Front Office Manager at Ocean Reef Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us! We are thrilled you and your family had a great time at our Resort and we certainly look forward to your next visit!

Mount Hope, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed at Ocean Reed Resort from September 2 until September 6 and had an awesome time. Our room on the 17th floor was spectacular. The Banana Boat Lounge had some awesome drinks and the bartender on the 6th was AMAZING.

Upon arrival Crystal checked us in at the front desk and she was fabulous. Made us feel right at home from the start. Spoke with Ginger later in the evening and she was very helpful too! Very organized front desk!

Selena was in the little store one night when we went down and was also the host at breakfast. She was awesome!

Judy our server at breakfast was so kind and made us feel like we were at home. And the food was delicious.

Clean pool areas and insanely close beach access made it an awesome vacation.

Working in a resort myself I know how stressful it can be. You guys have mastered the art of customer service kudos to you. Will stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Pdm9009
Crystal V, Front Office Manager at Ocean Reef Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear pdm909,

Thank you so much for such an amazing review! We appreciate hearing our guests experiences and I cannot say how thrilled I am out staff was part of what made your stay a memorable one. All of our staff goes above and beyond on a daily basis and I know they are reading your review and appreciating the recognition as well. We certainly look forward to your next visit and thank you again!

Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed from September 8 until the 13th. We had 8 people total, 2 kids, 4 and 8. The kids loved, loved, loved, all the pools and especially the slide! I wasn't impressed with the housekeeper who worked on Belinda's day off, but Belinda made up for that. :) We stayed in a 4 bedroom, 3 bath condo and it was great, all though I think we all complained about the beds. They really could use replacing. And the way the condo is configured, it isn't surprising that the walls are all scuffed up from the luggage carts. Maybe some smaller ones need to be had for the small entry rooms. The bartender downstairs wasn't too friendly and I saw him walk away from customers and go to the back room for a few minutes and casually stroll back out. I am frankly kicking myself for leaving him a tip. That was Thursday night by the way. Didn't catch his name. And Thursday 2 elevators were down at the same time. That wasn't much fun and made us late for parasailing, but they let the brave ones go ahead an parasail.
All in all we will certainly return. :)

• 2 of 5 stars
Dear ccarpenter1963,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay! We are happy to hear your family was able to enjoy our newest water amenity, The Lagoon Launcher! It has become a fast favorite among our guests. I do apologize if any of our staff was unfriendly. We pride ourselves on our staff and please know we will address the situation. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you and your family on a future visit!