“Beach Front resort”

Ranked #17 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
“Beach Front resort”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The hotel is located at North of Myrtle Beach, about 2 miles from the major downtown area. It is quiet and right on the beach. The room we had (two queen beds, ocean front) has a refridgrator and a microwave, some mugs and a coffee pot. However, there is no coffee filter or coffee. We did not use any of this and a Starbucks is right next to the hotel. We have a balcony and can see the beach and the ocean right from the room. The bed is comfortable and the free wifi is really a plus. Next time we go to Myrtle beach, we may book a hotel closer to the piers . But if someone is looking for a quiet beach and not too much crowd, this is the place to be.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

OceanReefManagement, General Manager at Ocean Reef Resort, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Thank you for the kind words regarding your stay with us here at the Ocean Reef Resort. The location of the resort is perfect for those who want to be extremely close to all the major attractions, yet still have a quite, peaceful and relaxing vacation on a faultless beach. Having Starbucks within walking distance is a wonderful "perk" that many of our guests take advantage of, so it's great you were able to do so. We hope that you will come and stay with us again sometime in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
Monroe, Ohio
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I've reviewed the Ocean Reef in 2009 and 2011 and I gave it high marks. But a lot has changed in the rooms and front desk. I still think the O.R. is good for families on a budget with young children and want a large ocean front hotel with excellent water features and pools. Here are the low points to my stay. At check in time there was a long line of guests checking in, but only one front desk clerk for the 1st 20 minutes in line. A 2nd front desk clerk came up, but there was room for a couple more clerks. At check in time there needs to be all hands on deck. Room 1521: When I walked into the kitchen after checking in the dishwasher was running from the previous guest or housekeeping and there was a large puddle of water on the kitchen floor which appeared to be leaking from the under the dishwasher. I went to the front desk and made an employee aware. She requested maintenance to inspect it…no one ever came to check out the leak. I cleaned up the water and didn’t use the dishwasher during my stay. Smoke alarm in master bedroom was missing from wall. Closet in master bedroom was missing pull knob, making it difficult to use. Sliding glass door lock in master bedroom didn't function properly. Wall in living room has large black marks on it. Coil burners on stove in kitchen don't fit properly and made the stove useless. King mattress is one of the worst I've slept on in a hotel. I paid for a condo, but couldn't use the dishwasher, couldn’t use the stove, couldn't lock the 2nd balcony door, couldn't use the closet, didn't sleep well, and stared at a dirty wall in the living room. I noticed the new carpet, drapes, and bed spreads (lipstick on a pig), but you've still got a long way to go on these aging rooms. I’m very upset that I paid for amenities that I couldn’t use. Where is my refund? After 5 separate stays at Ocean Reef, you’ve lost me.

Room Tip: 3 BR Angle OF rooms are above pools. Stay away from lower floors (pool/kids noise) and the 15th floo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I am so glad you decided to come stay with us again this year when you booked your vacation for Myrtle Beach. It appears we have always exceeded your needs in previous stays, however this time we fell short in a few areas. Please accept our sincerest apologies for not delivering a great vacation like years past. The issues you reported should have been taken care of prior to your arrival, and once addressed should have been handled in timely manner. Please feel free to contact the resort to discuss these matters further, as I would hate that after several amazing vacations we would lose one of our repeat guests. We take a lot of pride in our resort, and to have someone leave here dissatisfied does not sit well with me. Thank you for taking the time to inform the resort of your issues, and I hope we get the opportunity to bring you back to our wonderful resort.
New Jersey
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Upon arrival, I conclude the parking situation is terrible. Guests use the 15 minute unload parking for overnight parking. So, I had to feed a parking meter on the side street to unload luggage (arriving and leaving). A guest parking lot across the street is always filled and when you pull in you have to back out from the lot because guests park in the back isles with no way to turn around. The 3 level parking garage is across the street from the Long Bay Resort next to the Ocean Reef and has no elevators (can't unload luggage there!). After checking in they send you to another desk to pick up your welcome package. Turns out they try to get you to attend a time share presentation at condos that are not new. The incentive is a 5-star lunch and discount on tickets to a thrill show. The lunch was some subs cut up in small pieces and a beverage (some 5-star lunch). That was a total waste of time. Live and learn. The rooms were clean and a little worn. The bathroom was from the 70s with an exhaust fan that left the mirror steamy after a shower. The air conditioner was newer with digital controls and worked great. The TV was a flat panel with basic cable. The kitchen in the oceanfront deluxe was nice and convenient with a fridge, microwave and electric stove. Did have a safe lock that would not open with my stuff inside but maintenance came promptly to replace the lock. The pool does get crowded at times since there is only one outdoor pool. The breakfast buffet was average at best for $8.99. Selections are limited. For one dollar more try the breakfast buffet at the Sea Captain's House at Ocean Blvd and 31st Ave. Wide selection and excellent food! All said we had a good time. Probably will go back to the Caribbean Resort.

NC
Reviewed September 2, 2012

After reading other reviews, we decided to try Ocean Reef. We got a great deal from Travelzoo.

PROS:
Amenities are excellent for families! They have a fun waterslide, pool, lazy river, hot tubs, tiki bar, grill and other things kids will love.

Staff is extremely pleasant

Rooms are spacious and well equipped

Directly on beach

Plenty of lounge chairs and pool towels

Hours for pool are great!!

CONS:
Rooms can stand to be renovated

They don't keep elevators and halls as clean as they could be. Saw several bags of trash sitting outside for hours. The elevator floor was soaked with water and stayed that way for our trip. I know the resort is on the beach, but we've stayed at other beachfront resorts and they made sure the floors and halls were kept clean

Overall, we were pleased with our stay. If I bring the kids back to Myrtle, we'll probably stay here. If I'm coming without kids, I'll probably choose to stay at a more updated resort.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank LaIslaBonitaNC
atlanta ga
Reviewed September 1, 2012

cant wait to the next bike week, loved this hotel. i stayed in two different rooms and the price was not so cheap but not so high. all in all i loved the stay in both rooms the ocean view was picture perfect. I also stayed in a room with two views, one view in the room and the other in the living room if thats what that area of the room is called. the rooms wasnt condos or was it im not sure but the rooms was amazing! if i was to run away to sc i will love to stay there again. lets see i cant really think of anything bad about this hotel. the service was very helpful, the breakfast downstairs was ok, the bar was great, the pools was clean. the rooms wasnt super fancy but very comfortable and clean slept like a baby, ate some breakfast went for a swim,relaxed in the jacuzzi,went for a drink all in the hotel. the only thing that i can say i had a problem with is the parking hard to get one and the parking lanes is to tight to get in or out. they have this parking area some were around and down the street somewhere far out i dont like that. i really hate the parking because i left my car one night came back and my antenna was gone and this is not your old school wire ones, im talkin the ones stuck on the roof of your car gone. the reason i blame the hotel is the fact that, why do you have security and things like this still happen. i can understand if i parked around down the street yeah but this was in front of the hotel, where the security sit all day. Other than that, the hotel was great, but next time ill take a rental car.. the noise level was really loud but keep in mind it was bike week and i ride bikes so i loved it haha! slept great they also have parking "secured parking" for bikes. All in all even though my antenna was ripped off my car i can honestly say i had a great stay, Hey Stuff happens. If it helps any, the hotel service was ready willing and able to make sure it was taken care of "no stops pass go" and the effort to correct this problem on the spot was great..

Room Tip: get a ocean view or street and ocean view, you cant go wrong with any of the two. guys the ladies wi...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My family comes to the beach yearly to visit us i normally pay for there trip as a Christmas present. We have been doing this for years now, the hotel I normally used closed so I tried The Ocean Reef and I am so glad I did.
I came in a spoke to them directly as i live in myrtle beach and was able to pay for the rooms for my family in person. I was curious as to what there rooms looked like because my mother in law is VERY difficult to please and wanted to make sure the room would pass her high standards. The manager, Jessica i think her name was...... she took me to look at the rooms to have a look. they were beautiful and im sure my mother in law would approve !!
the view from the top of the hotel is AMAZING.
Indoor and out door heated pools, lazy river restaurants, gift shop the whole nine yards and SUCH a beautiful property.
Jessica was VERY pleasant and with her help i have got all my Christmas presents all taken care of for next year !!I

Room Tip: Ask for Jessica shes very pleasant to deal with
1 Thank borgoutpost
I am so pleased Jessica was able to assist you with your needs regarding accommodations here at the Ocean Reef Resort. She is a perfect representation of our beautiful resort, whereas customer service comes naturally to her and all our of employees. There will be plenty for the family to do while staying with us, and we can't wait to exceed your mother-in-law's expectations on a perfect holiday getaway!
Dovesville, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed at the Ocean Reef and loved everything about it! Our room was clean and comfortable, friendly and helpful staff and the amenities they have are great. We loved the indoor pool and lazy river and the hot tubs were excellent! There is a kiddie activities pool on the inside that our little Logan loved. They have an onsite restaurant that had great breakfast, a gift shop and an arcade. We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. They were in the process of building a big slide at the outside kiddie pool that looked really cool. Our accommodations rep Jessica Bailey was the Best! She was so easy to work with, gave us a great rate and wanted to make sure we had everything we needed to make our stay the best one yet in Myrtle Beach. All I can say is, we will definitely be back to Ocean Reef...if it was pet friendly I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family