“Great view, great amenities, priceless memories, and we will be back!”
Review of Ocean Reef Resort

Ocean Reef Resort
Ranked #18 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed June 3, 2011

I waited awhile to write this review to insure I was giving the best review for my experience and to make sure others have a memorable experience as we did. I booked our room online 2 weeks before we arrived for our 3 day 2 night stay in Myrtle Beach Aug 31- Sept 2nd, 2010. This was the week where a hurricane was predicted to possibly land in Wilmington, NC but by-passed us. I did not look up any reviews previous to any of my trips. We are in our late 20's and early 40's. My husband has never been and I've been many times to the area in the past. This is by far my best experience in a resort hotel after staying at the Yachtsmen and other condos in Garden City, SC. It is conveniently located to many restaurants without the craziness of the more popular parts along the main strip of Myrtle Beach. My husband is a PGA professional and said many local golf courses are within 15 minutes driving distance. Other attractions such as Ripley's Myrtle Beach Aquarium was within 10 minutes driving distance.

We arrived a few minutes before the 3pm check-in and was pleasantly asked to wait in the lobby until they were ready, since there was a few families as well waiting. There is a Time-Share representative across from the check-in desk and he was quite pushy, but not repulsive once told that 'we are not interested'. The two front desk clerks checked us in quickly (within 5 minutes) and gave us a map of the property, directing us where the elevators were. It's a bit confusing on where the elevators were located since there are many seating areas, gift shop, restaurant, arcade and many entrances to the various pool attractions. There were two operating elevators, but the north elevator seems much faster to respond.

We stayed on the 8th floor, right in the middle of the hotel. We had a very standard but spacious 2 Queen bed room with ocean front balcony. I added pictures of the room so you can get a first hand glimpse of what we saw. The air conditioner was not loud or noisy, nor did it have any musty smell to it while in the room. The heater also worked on the one night where it dipped down into the upper 50's adn we had it on for a few hours. The carpets were very clean. The tv had very limited channels to view, but it was a nice 32in 720p. The alarm clock works and had the correct time. The bed linens were changed and did not appear to have any sign of bed bugs on the pillows, chairs, comforters, sheets, mattresses or box springs. The mini kitchenette area was clean with the exception of the toaster, which had a few crumbs in it, that could have been easily turned upside down and shaken into the garbage. The coffee pot was clean and came with two ceramic coffee mugs and coffee samples. I took advantage of the coffee samples every morning and evening. The front desk staff gladly handed over handfuls of sugar packets since the standard sample packs were not enough. The mini fridge kept our drinks cold. On the front of the mini fridge was a 'happenings' calendar for the hotel or area and a restaurant menu for downstairs. We didn't test out the microwave since we have no use for it, but it was clean inside. The bathroom towels were pure white with no stains. The vanity with the mirror and sink had been updated, but the door to the bathroom, tub, tiles, showerhead fixtures, and caulk were mostly moldy, rusted, corraded and looked very unsanitary. When we went out for dinner, before coming back to the room, I bought some Ajax with bleach and a scrub brush to make sure I made an attempt to clean it myself before we showered. The shower curtain liner was brand new and had zero signs of mildew. It was the only time where I would rather bathe in the ocean. LOL! Other's might really be offended at the site of it. The toilet was updated as well with no water stains. The lighting in the bathroom was poor quality, but I think it was to hide what was in the shower. LOL! I spent most of my time on the balcony enjoying the ocean view and smell of the salt water. The room was cleaned by the maids every day and we were given fresh clean towels, both days without being asked. Overall, it was a great room for our short stay.

We took advantage of all the pool amenities downstairs at various times and spent all day on our last day making sure we were pruney enough and soaked up enough sun. There was something for everyone there! The lazy river had many tubes where you can grab and go. The two hot tubs were always crowded with adults. The kiddie pools were age approaprate for toddlers. The uncovered pool was heated and big. There were two pool service agents testing the waters at all times to assure the quality of the water. There were MANY lounge chairs, but all were taken by the time we came down at 9am and didn't grab a set until 2pm. The area stays crowded at all hours and is very noisy if you are not use to a family atmosphere.

When you get tired of all the kids at the pools, you can walk 50 feet to the ocean where there is a line up of two rental wooden chairs and umbrella for $8 for the whole day on the beach provided by the hotel. We took advantage of this on our first day and enjoyed it. It was kept reserved under our name all day and no one dared to sit in it. Lifeguards are on duty from sunrise to sunet.

The gift shop was very small and pricey, but had a good variety. The resturant was empty every time I passed by. The outside bar was busy, but pricey for drinks. If there was free breakfest or the resturant served breakfest, we did not know about it. We usually went out for breakfest at one of the local pancake houses. We also went out for lunch and dinner at other resturants around town.

There was limited parking spaces on the property out front, but across the street was two privately owned open parking lots for Ocean Reef guests only and you are required to hang a pass (provided by the hotel) on your rear view mirror daily and nightly or you were towed.

Pro's:
Various pools, the ocean front room with balcony, ocean, beach chair rentals, family atmosphere, convenient to everything Myrtle Beach has to offer

Con's:
bed linens needs to be updated to 2011, the bathroom needs to be renovated and cleaned enough to look "PURE", replace the pushy Time Share guy (a retirement home should be in his near future)

Both me and my husband look forward to returning back to Ocean Reef this coming August/September in 2011 and we are bringing our 2 year old daughter this time! Can't wait!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank import1a92
There are newer reviews for Ocean Reef Resort

Reviewed June 1, 2011

We stayed here Memorial Day weekend and the following week. The room was very clean and comfortable and even though we had the basic room without a kitchen, we had a full sized refridgerator, microwave, coffee pot, and toaster so perfect for being able to eat meals in. The view was amazing and the hotel provided easy access to the pool and beach.

My four year old son absolutely loved the pool. They had a full sized pool, a smaller pool with a hoop for water basketball, four hot tubs, a lazy river with a kiddie pool in the middle so you can be in the lazy river and keep an eye on your little ones at the same time, and a big kiddie pool my son called the "tiki man pool" that had tons of fun things to do for the kids.

The staff was all very helpful and nice. The housekeeper always checked on us every day and was so nice and respectful! Even when I put please do not disturb on the door she left extra towels and soaps and toilet paper in a plastic bag hanging on the door for us. I asked the front desk a couple questions about events around the town and they always had a friendly answer ready and even provided extra information such as the fireworks at Broadway on the Beach are every Tuesday night at 10, but make sure you get there around 9:30 because the best viewing is from the bridges in the middle and they fill up fast. We were glad to follow that information!

The only downs I would say is that the DVD player in the room was crap and we couldn't watch any movies on it, but I have never stayed in a hotel room with a DVD player, so it wasn't that big of a deal. The biggest downer was that the parking was across the street, but also wasn't that big of a deal. The street isn't that hard to cross, even with a little one, and there is a 3 floor parking garage that you can park in that has security cameras and keeps your car cool on hot days!

******One last VERY IMPORTANT thing!!!!! Be wary of using Priceline!! We used Priceline name your own price and got a "good" deal on our hotel and paid it in full months before our trip. When we got here we had a budgeted spending amount and found that we still had an extra $6/night fee because we used Priceline. The staff said it's just because we used Priceline, but Expedia and other travel sites would have been ok... At least we know for next time...*******

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank ardenb16
Reviewed May 30, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary and 'babymoon' vacation (your last vacation before the baby arrives--play on word of honeymoon). We ended up having to time our trip around the two biker weekends in late May. We were very pleased with our ocean front room with kitchen. The balcony was perfect for relaxing and reading while hearing the roar of the ocean. The management went out of their way to ensure our special trip was extra special and we were thankful for that. The food in the breakfast restaurant was about average (nothing exciting to write home about) and the grill station during lunch was excellent! The crew that grilled the burgers (male and female) were awesome and super friendly! We liked the main pool and lazy river as well. Only real negative was the room had some showing of wear and mold. Other than that, and that was minor, we enjoyed our stay and will look to the Ocean Reef in the future!

Room Tip: Book through their website
Reviewed May 28, 2011

We are just ending our stay at Ocean Reef. This is our second trip to Myrtle Beach. We used priceline to book our room and received a rate of $65 a night. We were in an ocean front basic queen room. For that price the hotel was fine.
Pros: Right on the ocean great view, hotel atmosphere clean, pool areas great for kids, house cleaning friendly and service rooms daily, room was sufficient with refrigerator and microwave.
Cons: Could use another elevator, parking is a little inconvenient. Rooms need to be updated. Wifi was weak.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank dlee28
Reviewed May 28, 2011

I just came back from a trip to Ocean Reef with my significant other. I had picked the resort based off of the reviews on this website. PROS: Firstly, the location is AMAZING. It is in a more secluded area than a majority of MB hotels (more of a residential area) but still very close to all the activity of the city. Beach was lovely, very uncrowded. Pools were outstanding. Pool bar and grill very convenient. CONS: We chose the 2Q efficiency ocean front and thought that although some of the features were very new, a lot of it still needed renovation...specifically the bathroom, carpets, and balcony. Terrible parking situation! The major complaint is that I wish they had controlled the amount of loitering that "Bike Week" brought...city was crawling with 100's of thousands of bikers and many loitered in front of the hotel revving engines at all hours!

Because of this amazing location, I would definitley go back to Ocean Reef over other hotels.

2  Thank BB1129
Reviewed May 23, 2011

We've stayed at OR on several occaisions, the last back in October 2010. I was looking for a short get-away and OR had the best rates for any of the hotels in this section of Myrtle Beach. I booked an ocean-front eff. room and ended up on the ninth floor in #912.
the Good.
The room appeared clean and housekeeping showed up regularly
The view is great and the access to other activities is the best.

The Not So Good
The placed an apartment-sized ref. in the closet, so there was no place to hang clothes
The carpet left your bare feet and socks black.
Wi-Fi was almost non-existant.
There were no pots, pans, dishes, or flatware in the room, just a coffemaker and two cups.

We will return to the Ocean Reef in the future, but will avoid room 912.

2  Thank skipro1
Reviewed May 17, 2011

This was our fourth golf trip and stay at the Ocean Reef. Lots of nice places in Myrtle but you try finding one that provides the level of service we receive everytime. Our 3 bedroom condos were all beautifully furnished with fully equipped kitchens and an amazing view of the ocean and the pool below. But most important of all, the beds were clean and comfortable! Plenty of safe parking and outstanding facilities including a gym, lazy river, hot tub and an on-site Golf Director. The Golf Director, Chris Vest did an outstanding job of selecting golf courses that suited our skill level but more importantly our budget. From the time we initially booked, our group kept growing and our t-time preferences kept changing. However nothing to worry about since Chris looked after juggling the courses and t-times to suit our requirements. From the time we first arrived until the time we checked out, we knew why we keep coming back to Ocean Reef. We'll continue to recommend Ocean Reef to our family and friends. Can't wait to go back again next year!

Room Tip: Book early for best selection of rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends