“The good and bad!”

Ranked #125 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“The good and bad!”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

The girl at check-in (Jessie) was great. This was my first stay here. I have stayed at the hotel next door to this one many times as I usually travel down here about 6-10 times a year. I was traveling alone on this trip and the hotel next door wanted to put me in a very unsafe area with an extremely high price. I was just here in Nov and they doubled the price! So I walked in to the Meridian and I was meet by a friendly smiling desk clerk. I told her my issue and she allowed me to go look at one of the rooms. I was thrilled. It had a whirlpool tub, fireplace, ceiling fan, the works. It was a side view of the ocean but for 1 night it would do. That's the good. The bad is as follows. I was ready to relax in the whirlpool tub after a long drive. It worked fine but when I got out I noticed all this black stuff floating in the water. I am assuming it came from the jets not being cleaned. Ok so I took a shower because now I'm itching! It was cold so I wanted to relax and turn on the fireplace to finish my paperwork. It didn't work. The ceiling fan which Is a must for me to sleep made a horrible screeching sound. I reported all this the next morning and was told sorry but they don't give refunds or compensation because the rate was lowered from the original rate. It was still over priced for the season and the issues I had. Not sure where I'll stay next time but in all honestly it most likely want be here!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
9 Thank Luckygirl4x4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Milford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 2, 2013

we were told all rooms as well as the balconies were smoke free. When we first walked into the room we could smell the smoke, so we went to dinner thinking it would be better when we got back to the room. Not so, it appears the people in the room next to us were smoking on their balcony. The smoke drifted into our room and stayed there all night. When we told them at the front desk the next morning, they did not seem to care. The receptionist just said , Oh I guess they were smoking on the balcony, No joke! However the smoke smell did not go away the whole time we were there, we checked out the next day and found another place to stay. I would not recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laurie H
MeridianPlazaGM, General Manager at Meridian Plaza, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of our property. It upsets me that your experience here was not up to your expectations and our standards. We are a Smoke Free property. While we make every effort to ensure all guests and owners follow the No Smoking Policy, occasionally we do at times find guests smoking on balconies. When brought to our attention we immediately take action to address the situation, even in some cases evicting those who violate this policy. I am confident if this situation had been brought to our attention during your stay we could have remedied the issue. I hope that when traveling back to Myrtle Beach you would give us another chance to deliver the quality accommodations and hospitality many have come to love and expect here at the Meridian Plaza.

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I've been coming to the Meridian for a few years. I used to book my room with either Adam or Bryan at the front desk, they always allowed me to see the room before I booked and treated me with respect. I was disappointed to find out that they were no longer there. Neither the Manager that used to be there, seems like they are under new management. The front desk clerk Leo was very rude when I asked him if Adam or Bryan were working. He seemed like he did not want to help me at all. I asked him if he could find me in their system from my previous stays to request the same room I stayed last time. It seemed like Leo didn't know how to use the computer and find my name. He refused to let me see any room and when I spoke to speak with a manager or his supervisor he stated that there was no manager and that he was probably going to be the new general manager. He was rude and unprofessional, I wanted to call a corporate hot line but I discovered that this place in privately owned and ran by a board of directors. I will never come back here again. It's a shame how they have people like that working there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Justin_Letch1
MeridianPlazaGM, General Manager at Meridian Plaza, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. The goal of the Meridian Plaza is to provide clean, quality accommodations and warm friendly service. It disappoints me you did not receive the level of service we expect and strive to provide to our guests. We have a wonderful team here and I assure you your experience has been addressed with the associate. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Matthews
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

We used to love this hotel...but I am not sure exactly what happen with it...we got ocean front room with huge black stain on a carpet...and it smelt like old socks...had to change it right away...my friends had another room and it was so bad that they wanted to changed it too but there were no more rooms left...they stayed for one night (hotel was booked for 2nights) only because they did not want to drive home late... Then they asked for second night refund hotel refused to give them any money back..It is so sad...it used to be our favorite place to stay..will never stay there again..,

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Oxana K
Thank you for your review and bringing the issues you experienced to our attention. We take great pride in our property. Our housekeeping staff works daily to deliver the level of cleanliness expected by our owners and guests. I am very disappointed to hear of the experience you had and assure you the issues have been addressed with our Head of Housekeeping. I hope that when traveling back to Myrtle Beach you would give us another chance to deliver the same quality accommodations you have come to love and expect here at the Meridian Plaza.
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I had no plans to stay at this place but rather a hotel next door. Due to the uncleanliness and lies of the original place, my family and I packed up late at night and came over to this place. Darvin (I believe was his name) was so sympathetic to our situation. He allowed us to view the available rooms before booking. He was so accommodating and understanding to our situation. I really felt like he cared about what happened to us next door and assured us this would not happen at the Meridian. He certainly was telling the truth. Due to us not feeling safe at the other location and smoking that took place at the hotel next door, he assured us no such thing would be a problem. Once booked and settled in, I felt really calm and happy I saw the sign that said "vacancy" leading us to this place. The condos are individually owned, but really are a beauty. They are clean, the beds are amazing, and the view although ocean view was outstanding. The pools were very clean and housekeeping was very friendly. Cookware was provided for us to make meals and we are so happy that we were able to stay here. Please consider making this place a home away from home. I'm already looking into staying again some upcoming weeks.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor and didn't have any issues. There are no restaurants, but that isn...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ram2xround
Thank you for your review. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the Meridian Plaza on your next trip to the Myrtle Beach area.
Vineland, New Jersey
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We were warmly greeted at the front desk by Bryan who allowed us to see some of the units which are all a little different from each other as many are individually owned and decorated condos. We chose unit 1005 with a south facing view of the beach from the balcony. The elevator was fairly close to the unit and there was never a wait. Upon entering there was a king bedded room with good storage, a small tv and a very comfortable mattress. In the hall was a very nicely and newly decorated bathroom that was immaculate with a deep tub/shower and fluffy white towels and even mini-amenities for guests use. The modern kitchen was small but very nicely appointed with a full size fridge, stove/oven, sink and even a small dishwasher. There were adequate pots and pans and dishes for light meal prep. The counter bar had stools for seating rather than a table but was quite nice. The living area had a flat screen tv, electric fireplace and comfy couch and chair with ottoman. The couch was a sofabed and while it would be possible for four people to stay in the unit it was most comfortable for just the two of us. On the balcony were two plastic chairs and a small plastic table - but a fabulous ocean view - though not directly oceanfront. Maid service was excellent and eveyone on the property was very friendly. The AC worked very well. Free covered parking was across the street and there were always spaces available. Our stay was during bike week in Oct 2012 and while some people did go into the ocean, I felt it was a little cool. The outdoor pool was very comfortable and the large grassy outdoor seating area was popular with the guests. The indoor pool looked clean but we did not use it as the weather outdoors was spectacular during our stay. We would most definately return to this property again.

Room Tip: If possibe upon arrival ask if various units are available to see before picking one as they have so...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Avi525
Thank you for your review! We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Myrtle Beach.
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed September 28, 2013

You get what you pay for. The reviews were so good I thought maybe this place was a hidden gem. Wrong. It was extremely outdated and bare bones. The bedroom was awful, no place for romance. The only good thing I can say is the view was good and they refunded our money for our second night so we could stay elsewhere. Don't waste your time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple