“Super Price - Super Clean - Super Staff - Super Fun”
Review of Hurl Rock Motel

Hurl Rock Motel
Ranked #162 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I traveled with my 17 year old daughter and her friend of the same age (who had never see the ocean) for a fun-filled stay at Myrtle Beach the week of July 11-16. I had stayed at the Hurl Rock Motel years ago and I remembered what a cost saving establishment this was and after reading that the Ma Perkins Family was back I decided to try it again. So glad I did!

If you are looking for a "one-spot has it all hotel" then you need to look somewhere else. But...if you are interested in a low cost, friendly staff, nice room with a clean bed to sleep in and a sparkling pool to swim in, then the Hurl Rock is the place to stay.

I will list some of the attributes this motel has to offer and will also post some pics for your own viewing.

* $55.00 per night (where can you beat that?) for 2 beds, table & 2 chairs, fridge, micro, sink, TV, coffee pot, toaster, small view of the ocean, pool view, clean bathroom and COLD air conditioning (much needed on a 90+ degree day).
* FREE WI-FI
*Ultra Clean, Fluffy, White towels and washcloths.
* Friendly, helpful, owners and staff. Ms. Iris was our housekeeper and she was SUPER FANTASTIC!
* Ocean is across the street, but you have a crosswalk and direct access.
* FREE parking with motel stay. Granted, you need to have your vehicle "home" early to get an upclose space, but...the parking in the rear which we used a few nights was very safe and our vehicle was NEVER bothered.
*SPARKLING POOL - staff was out EVERY morning we were there cleaning the pool. It was very nice and WELL maintained. Pool hours were STRICTLY inforced so there were NO pool area noises after hours. Also a small kiddie pool was connected to the larger pool.
* Shower located at the pool area to rinse off after returning from the beach.
*Every room had 2 chairs located outside. We used these EVERY day to "pool watch" and "people watch". Nice!
* I was very impressed that the owners, who are trying to bring back their family touch, were very involved EVERY day with what was going on at the motel. They kept a book in the office to write down anything that was brought to their attention by a guest so they could correct the problem.

Negatives:
* Owners have not installed an ice machine since regaining the motel. Small store across the street does sell bagged ice, but I went to Wal-Mart and bought a couple of ice trays and put them in the freezer!
* Mattresses were hard (for my taste). I like softer, but you may not. Did not hinder my sleep at all....I slept like a rock every night. BUT.....BEDS WERE CLEAN!!!!!!!! That's what matters!
* Elevator is Small! If you don't like tight, HOT places you might want to take the stairs. Since we were on the 4th floor I was excited to have ANY elevator. Elevator buttons sometimes had a mind of their own, but with patience they WOULD work.
*Brought my own iron since I knew the motel did not have iron/ironing board. I realize not all folks iron like I do, but iron/ironing board would be a plus for me!

My daughter and I both love that "Mom and Pop Motel" feel! Brings me back to my childhood and happy, happy days!
So....If you would rather spend $55 instead of $155 OR $255 for a room in Myrtle Beach, then the Hurl Rock is the place to stay.

We WILL return to Myrtle Beach and we WILL stay at the HURL ROCK! :)

1  Thank HopeCB
jazzbrokerjim, Owner at Hurl Rock Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2010

We realize not having an ice machine is an inconvenience. We have been putting all of our efforts (and MONEY) into renovating the rooms and the property. There will be an ice machine for 2011, if not before. We have irons and ironing boards available in the office for our guests to use. On your next visit, you can leave yours at home and use ours. The 4th floor elevator button did "have a mind of its own" and has been replaced. We have great maids and some have had their families working for us for over 30 years. Iris is one of the best of the best. i showed her your comment and she cried with joy. Thank you for making her very proud and happy. And yes, regardless of what a previous comment said, we do STRICTLY ENFORCE the pool hours of 9 am to 10 pm. We are sorry that you did not like your mattress. Many are brand new and may not be "broken in" yet. But as you say, people's preference of mattress vary from extreme hard to extreme soft. We try to use a "medium" type mattress to meet everyone's desires "half-way".
We THANK YOU for your honest comments both positive and negative. We have been working very hard the last 4 months to overcome 12 years of neglect. We have come a long way and with HONEST feedback from guests like you, we will continue to improve our motel.
PS We especially liked your pictures of the motel and the boardwalk going to the beach. People are always asking if we have more pictures of the motel. We have been too busy improving the motel to take pictures. We will refer them to your pictures. THANK YOU again for your CONSTRUCTIVE comments.

Reviewed July 19, 2010

If your looking for a friendly place to lay your head,HURL ROCK is the place...It's not anything fancy or have 50 pools or a indoor water park.It's a place where u can enjoy yourself at a very good price!!! ~~~BADGIRL~~~

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2010

My wife and I traveled with our 2 yr old daughter and stayed here for 54 nights. David was one of the most down to earth person i have met in a while. This motel reminded me of trips i took with my parents in the 80's. This is your traditional mom and pop hotel with very clean rooms, friendly staff, and conveniently located to the beach. You will not find a better hotel in Myrtle Beach for the price. I had a few monor problems with the room while i was there and the staffe had it fixed in no time. Even at one point David came up to our room immediately to remove the frost from our frezzer himself. Thank you Hurl Rock for giving me a vacation i could afford. See you in the future..

Reviewed July 11, 2010

We had never stayed at Hurl Rock before and just happended to find it online. We knew they were in the process of remodeling since the Perkins family had just repurchased the motel back on 4/1/2010 {there website made that clear}. The rates could not be beat. The room was spotless.the pool was great (large sun area), the 2nd floor deck was very nice with it's chase lounges, picnic table and two propane grills. We were treated like family. My husband and I were made to feel right at home. We couldn't have been treated any better by our own family. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We plan to be back in Sept. 2010 bring another family with us. Thanks Dave, Jane, Arliene(qwners), Cindy(houskeeper) and the rest of the Hurl Rock Staff for making our stay so pleasurable, you all were great!!.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TheWorkmans
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Since Ownership has changed back this motel has really had a special place in my heart.....it is comfortable & very convenient for the needs that my daughter & I had~~~~
I would recommend this motel to anyone~~~~even though it is across the street from the ocean it is still very easy accessible! Rates are the most reasonable ones that I found before every booking my reservations!
Looking forward to a return visit!

Reviewed July 4, 2010

I read the great reviews of the Hurl Rock and I have to disagree. It is close to the beach which is nice. I wasn't expecting that much for $50 a night and was still extremely disappointed. The service was terrible. The person at the desk seemed confused at all times.. The room was gross, there were brown stains on the sheets and the beds were lumpy and sunken in the middle. There were kids in the pool screaming until one in the morning making it next to impossible to sleep. We left a day early because I couldn't stand staying another night.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank spydercat
jazzbrokerjim, Owner at Hurl Rock Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2010

The guest in question checked in on July 4th weekend and so the front desk clerk was most probably rushed since over 60 people checked in during a small space of time. All rooms were completely sold out. We apologize that during this short check in period we couldn’t spend more time with this guest, as we often enjoy talking with the guests and finding out more about them. But no matter how fast we check guests in, it is never fast enough for certain guests standing in line after a long trip to the beach. During the weeklong stay, the guest never complained about any problems with sheets, beds, or that people were in the pool late at night, or that there were any other guests that were loud. Our sheets are washed commercially at high temperature with appropriate sterilizing and bleaching chemicals, and are changed daily unless a guest specifically requests that we do not change them. People were not in the pool at 1 AM screaming as the pool is in close proximity to the office and is closed at 10 PM every night. The pool is fenced, and it is locked tight at about 10 PM. The night desk clerk is in the office into the wee hours of the morning and would not tolerate such behavior. We have received another review around the same time where another guest’s comment is “the pool closes way too early”. Similarly two reviews around the same time from other guests gave us very positive reviews. We feel this review was written in a negative way because the guest left early and our policy (clearly stated upfront at the time of rental) is that there are no refunds for early departure. The guest was very upset that she couldn’t get a refund for her one day early departure and as a consequence wrote the review to retaliate. This is the same policy that exists at nearly every motel in Myrtle Beach. This is because nearly all vacation rentals are whole weeks or whole weekends and a guest who decides to depart early leaves the motel with an “odd night” vacant room that is nearly impossible to re-rent and leaving little time to do so in any case. We wish to make each guest stay a good one and thus we do everything we can to address any comments or concerns that the guests express to us when they are here. The best time to address any concern is when it happens, as that is when something can be done about it. Legitimate comments made in a timely manner are very much appreciated and will be addressed immediately.

Reviewed July 2, 2010

We just finished spending a week at the Hurl Rock Motel. We loved it. It was very nice and very clean. The rooms are nicely decorated and the kitchenette had "cherry" cabinets, stainless steel sink, and laminate that looked like granite. Big refrigerator. It is just across the street from the beach, very easy walk. The housekeepers were awesome! Did a great job and were VERY friendly.

My complaints: They didn't allow pets. I have a dog that I would have loved to bring with me. My only other complaint is that the people working the front desk really weren't friendly at all. Actually, they bordered on rude. When we arrived and went to check in, the woman at the desk completely ignored us for several minutes before she acknowledged us. Then a few days later, I went down to ask a question and a different woman was sort of rude also.

There were also some loud guests who kept my husband awake one night and some really loud obnoxious guests but hey, that can happen anywhere.

Overall, we enjoyed our time at the Hurl Rock Motel. I am hoping that the "retro" sign in the old postcards will be replaced. I LOVE it. I am also hoping that the Hurl Rock will continue with these fantastic deals so that we can return year after year. I am also hoping that they will change their pet policy!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family