“Clean and Comfortable”

Ranked #87 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Clean and Comfortable”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We decided to choose this motel based on the reviews and price. Since the reviews were so good and it is under the umbrella of Oceana Resorts, we thought it would be a safe gamble. The rooms, grounds, and pool were very clean (it is an old motel, but very well kept/ taken care of). The staff was friendly and helpful and it was a quiet, comfortable stay. The beds were great, bathroom sink a little small... but that was not an issue. The only thing I wish would have been different was the proximity to the beach. It is a short walk, but LOTS of other hotels and condos in the same area, therefore all of those people competing for beach space- especially during high tide. All in all, it was a nice weekend and we don't regret our decision.

2 Thank teachTovacation

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I booked this motel online after doing an extensive search for cheap accommodation. Kathy was really great to me during check in and everything went smoothly. A plus that were was the MB public transit bus right outside the hotel which I used to get around.

The area is further away from the crowds and tourist attractions which was a plus because the beach was not that crowded; just mostly locals and families.

I will be staying here again next time I come back to MB.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank cindel25
Waynesboro, Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Loved our vacation here! Nice, qiuet and clean! Nice staff and nice pool! Great for families. Not in the very busy section of Ocean Blvd. Only negative is the shower head is to low! We will go back! Short walk to the beach!

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony!
Prosperity
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We absolutely loved this little motel! Great rates, clean and comfortable rooms. Just a short walk to the beach and River City Café. All staff were extremely nice and helpful. Our room was a 2 bedroom with a kitchenette and our balcony overlooked the pool which was great to go out and sit with our morning coffee. Will definitely be back to the great motel!!!

2 Thank sshinn26
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Holiday Shores Motel had a lot of potential. It was inexpensive (~$125 / night), but not ghetto like many other beachside motels. Also, we could book a room for four with a kitchen, so we could cook some meals ourselves. Finally, we could get away from the high school and college kids coming to MB to party. We decided months before our summer trip that Holiday Shores Motel sounded like the perfect place for us to stay.

The day before our long drive, I called the front desk and spoke to Kathy, the owner and GM to confirm our reservations and ask some last minute questions about the room. She caught me off guard with one question: "Is everyone in your party over 21?"

I told her that, no, we had 1 person age 20, while the rest of us were over 21. She told that this was not okay, and that she would not rent to us. I realize she was stereotyping us as a bunch of "young, crazy, partying college kids" which is unfortunate given that the 4 of us are actually: a grad student, a teacher, a biology lab researcher, and a computer scientist. Despite our maturity and credentials, we were discriminated against on the basis of age.

She called me a liar and said she would not rent to us. She stated that I'd told her "no one in my party was over 21", but I was quick to clarify our ages and even offered to present IDs at check-in if she were still concerned (though I thought to myself how ridiculous this seems).

I told her that I'd read the age policy from her website which states: "Guests under 21 are not admitted unless accompanied by an adult." I explained to her that our 1 guest under 21 was accompanied by 3 adults, so everything seemed fine. She insisted that what the policy really meant was only families with small children can have guests under 21, and to bring a friend under 21 we would have to be "in our 30s". Well, I'm sorry, but the policy doesn't say anything like that. She got very nasty and called me a liar again and hung up on me to deal with another customer.

She canceled our reservation less than 24 hours before we were supposed to arrive.

At this point, I felt severely wronged as a customer, so I called the Oceana Resorts corporate office. The rep was very friendly, and I was transfered a few times after explaining the situation. They told me that we were indeed in compliance with the age policy, that they would talk to Kathy, and that we would indeed have a room upon arrival.

A few minutes later, I received a voicemail from Kathy about how I was a liar, and she would not be honoring what Oceana had told me, that I would be out of luck. This is an unreasonable way to handle customer service. At this point, my guests agreed unanimously that they'd be uncomfortable staying in a motel whose owner treated customers like this.

Frustrated, I called Oceana again. Once again, the reps were very friendly and I was escalated up the hierarchy as high as possible until eventually being told that reversing the decision of the hotel GM (Kathy) was beyond the power of the highest reps. When I detailed everything Kathy had said to us, I was transferred to the "Assistant to the CEO" who I left a voicemail for describing the whole situation.

The Assistant to the CEO must have seen my perspective because I got a call from Kathy an hour later. She stated she would be happy to rent to us if we each presented identification at check-in, which was weird, since she declined when I made the same offer earlier. She asked me to re-authorize her to charge my card since she had canceled our reservation. I politely declined stating that my fellow travelers would be uncomfortable given the way we'd been treated before even arriving, and we parted our separate ways. If you are a young adult, I recommend you consider any other motel or hotel around the beach that will not discriminate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Taylor E
OceanaResorts, General Manager at Holiday Shores Motel, Oceana Resorts, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
We certainly regret the miscommunication that occurred over your reservation request with Holiday Shores. Our company policy is that one person in the party must be over the age of 21 and we always adhere to that policy. We sincerely apologize for the miscommunication over this matter and welcome all guests to Holiday Shores within our policy guidelines. Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
columbus OH
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Me, my boyfriend and our son stayed the last week of June. We fell in love with the site. Miss Kathy and the house keepers were so friendly and nice and made the stay so much better. The rooms were very clean and well kept, only down fall for me was the shower head seemed to be very low and hard to stand under but hardly mattered in our experience. Every night we would just sit outside and relax because it was so quite and calming. We will never stay any where but here. Even though Holiday Shores is not right on the beach its still very assesable, all you have to do is walk the next block and you are there. I would recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kayla g
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last year & decided to come back again because we liked it so much. It's a nice little motel that's super clean with very friendly staff. It seems very family friendly. We get the king studio room that has a little kitchen with a fridge and stove. It's inexpensive & exactly what we need when we go to the beach--a clean place to sleep & put our things, since we're always out doing stuff we're rarely in the room anyways. We like the fact that it has quiet hours after 10 & the pool is nice when it's not crowded. Some of the clientele this year weren't the best, but like I said we were hardly in our room anyway to notice too much. We really took advantage of the Oceana Resorts discount card you get at check in-- you get discounts at different restaurants, stores, and attractions all over MB. They give you things like free appetizers and meals and even free admission to Wild Water & Wheels water park. One of the only things I don't like about it is that it says it's a smoke free motel, yet the property is not smoke free so people sit on their balconies and smoke.. all day & night. But overall it was another great stay and I'd definitely recommend it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple