All reviews condo building across the street lazy river ocean view cafe ocean front hot tub full kitchen outdoor pool wall bed older hotel washer dryer nice balcony ocean blvd oceanfront room flat screen family vacation housekeeping staff
Reviewed August 26, 2018

our 6th trip to myrtle beach w/ the same guests. travelled from central pennsylvania w/ me and hubby, 16yr old daughter, 13 yr old son, and my mother (grandma) in early 60's. we met up with my aunt in 60's w/ a legit service dog that lives in central south carolina (moved from pa to sc about 7-8 yrs ago and we remain close but see each other only twice a year) to share our condo and spend time together. we've had nothing but beautiful stays elsewhere on previous annual myrtle beach vacations. this time we stayed saturday to saturday in early august at holiday sands south #913. booked through booking.com. but then payment and communications were received by "redawning.com". HUGE problem getting approved with service dog through redawning.com. extremely rude, and illegal w/ how they handled that and primary contact was named Weppy. we were required to send in all paperwork to them in california to then be forwarded to condo owner for pending approval. they tried to charge extra cleaning fees and 'pet' fees but i was super firm with them about those not being allowed for service animal. after weeks and weeks in january and february getting that part straightened out. took us 13 hour drive to get there and then problems w/ check in. check-in was a nightmare. they couldn't find our reservation info. Nikita at front desk was the only one willing to help us when we couldn't get checked in. everyone else just kept shrugging their shoulders, saying we were scammed, and wanted us to turn around and go back home. she left messages for condo owners, called booking.com twice (which actually tried to be helpful), redawning.com once ("2hr callback time"), and finally her own supervisor to get directed to myrtle beach vacation rentals. over 1h and 45 min for check-in! it was humiliating having my family sit there all that time while i tried to get this fixed. so apparently, i am told "myrtle beach vacation rentals" lost our reservation and the front desk people refused to let us go up to our room until another confirmation was received. we don't even understand how that company was involved. front desk people said that company runs and operates the property and it didn't matter what booking.com sent them, or that i had all the booking confirmation paperwork, receipts, credit card statements, and verfication of confirmation. they would only accept confirmation from this mb vacation rentals place which had been on zero of my paperwork getting this booking together. then after they finally got the email confirmation sent to them that they needed, stated that our room had not been cleaned for a long time and did we want to wait another hour or so. um... NO! literally told after check-in "if you need anything, we can't help you". yep condo was dirty but had broom and vacuum. our cleaning fee only covered cleaning services upon checkout so we did the cleaning ourselves through the week and had to purchase our own TP, cleaning products, and paper towels and such. "fully stocked" kitchen was a big fat joke. teeny tiny frying pan. no teaspoons, only about 7 or 8 tablespoons. had to make spaghetti dinner in two different batches. none of the lights worked so had to purchase 5-6 light bulbs for condo. received HUGE problems about service dog on property from maintenence guy and other workers throughout our stay including maintenence said he didnt' want the dog anywhere near the pool vicinity and my aunt would have to leave the area because he had enough problems keeping the pools clean as it is with all the kids peeing in them. she actually came back up to the room emotional. and our biggest disappointment actually was we were all excited to share a "family movie night" w/ 2 dvd's that we brought w/ popcorn and cuddling on the couch, right? wrong! no dvd player anywhere! listed in the booking multiple times so we went down to the front desk and was rudely told to go call myrtle beach rental company and ask them. so we did. on a tuesday. and on wednesday. still waiting for their return call...........

Room Tip: not worth the aggravation
1  Thank tinadW200MA
Reviewed August 26, 2018

We have stayed in the hotel at Holiday Sands South for many years; we like having the OF 2 bedrooms with 3 queen beds. I have to say this was the most Disappointing stay we've had with the service this year mostly with the housekeeping service or lack of would be more accurate. We stayed 6 nights at the hotel and I think we had 1 or 2 days that the housekeeper actually came in the room to make the beds and leave bath towels. The rest of the stay we either had to ask for anything we needed or if we happened to see a housekeeper in the hallway they would ask do you need anything today and would just leave what you asked for.... REALLY ???? Why wouldn't you need fresh towels, wash clothes, dish clothes, toilet paper daily ,there was 4 people in the room, and we NEVER had the room Vacuumed or bathroom cleaned , Not Once...would have been nice to have the sand vacuumed up at least a couple of times. And the outside pool looked really dirty the first day we got there the bottom was covered in black sand , was Not cleaned the whole time we were there , just nasty looking.... I can remember the first few times staying here the pool was cleaned early morning several times and housekeeping kept the room nice and cleaned and stocked....We more than likely will choose another place to stay next Vacation at Myrtle Beach which is disappointing to us ; we really liked the location, number of beds, and ample parking ; but Expected and deserved a lot better service after paying almost $1000 for 6 nights.... Did management change or what ???? Just Sad.

Room Tip: Ample parking ...but sadly thats the only good thing I can say this year.
2  Thank Trish M
Reviewed August 26, 2018 via mobile

I’m sharing my experience from working a couple of weeks here! HOLIDAY SANDS has bed bugs! Christy which is the housekeeping director is very unprofessional. She signed me the 4th floor in the hotel build and one day I went to service 420 the guest were there for a few weeks and I founded a bed bug on there bed and went straight to tell her, she did nothing but looked around in the room and told me not to say anything. She didn’t move the guest or anything she just let the guest stayed in the room. Everyone there is not to be trusted !!! Christy which is the housekeeping director and most of her housekeepers is friends, they all smoke weed and sleep in vacant room before guests check in. The housekeepers have men’s that don’t even work there walking around the hotel and sitting in vacant room. I WOULDNT TAKE MY FAMILY TO THIS PLACE, ijs. They let me, my sister, and my mom which was a supervisor go because my mom complained about the housekeepers putting bloody/dirty sheets on the bed and everything else that was going on at the hotel. They never let you talk to the owner so I guess Jeff that work in the front office was okay with everything that was going on.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled on business
1  Thank Nyema R
Reviewed August 18, 2018

Needed to get away. It was August and I can’t afford the places I stay off season. I read the reviews and took a chance. Some were great, some terrible. So I came prepared. I read that the sheets weren’t clean, so I went to a thrift store and bought 2 sheets in case. I left them in the car. I pulled back the covers and sheets were clean. I did bring in a pillow, though. I like 3 pillows. Next, I read the bathrooms were dirty. I brought an old towel and some cleaner. Didn’t need them, bathroom was spotless.
I had a side view room. I didn’t plan on sitting on balcony, but, unlike other reviews, had a good view and chairs look sturdy to me. Staff has been very nice. I checked in on a Thursday so that cut down on the weekend rush.
All and all, it’s been a good trip. Hotel is old, but not falling apart. Pools are nice, kids are loving them.
I don’t have many expectations when staying at a hotel. I want a clean bed, clean bathroom, and want to feel safe. I always put a do not disturb sign on my door for the stay because it’s only me and don’t require much. Overall, I’m happy with this hotel. If you are looking for a 4star hotel, this ain’t it. But I’ve liked it and would stay again.

Room Tip: At night be sure to engage the deadbolt. When people slam their doors, it vibrates your door. Deadbolt stopped that.
Stayed: August 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed August 13, 2018

Arrived at the hotel. Greeted well. Told that room will be ready at 4pm. No worries. They were kind enough to call me when it was ready; it was 30 minutes early (a good start). We went to Room 532 which was a side ocean view (we were on a budget) that only one of us could use at any one time (it was slim slice of a view). We turned down the bed..it was not made. Cleaners came up...they were lovely and changed linens and gave us actual towels! They left. We then noticed stains on the linens. Ugh. We did not call them again and just used a top sheet. The bed was terrible (enhanced by the sheet issue). Overall the room was in serious need of redoing. Paint stained, old crappy furniture, stained chairs with collapsed cushions, patio was gross and the wall was really stained. I complained in the morning and there were two others complaining at the same time about their rooms (I think one was Room 1211). I was given a marginally bigger room with the same view that was cleaner. Bonus, one of the beds was sorta firm (w00t). I appreciate the room change but it seemed to have been done begrudgingly which surprised me because our complaints were all verifiable. Also, I was only given a different room when I stated that I would be trying to find another place to stay (good luck at that time of the year). The elevators was so rickety, the buffet looked great but was not, and the place needs updating (or a demolition ball). The highlight of the stay were the ladies who helped us with the bedding that had not been cleaned. They were really nice.

Room Tip: If you can, pay the increased amount and stay away from the X32 and X28 line of rooms.