“Worth what you pay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Sands South
Ranked #70 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Worth what you pay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2006

We stayed at the Holiday Sands South June 12th - 16th. I was a little disappointed when we arrived and saw the parking. There are about 10 spots in the front lot and 15 to 20 in the one across the street. There is a third lot behind some other buildings but is very secluded and dark. We didn't feel comfortable parking there but didn't have a choice. I felt a little better about it when I saw the security monitors behind the front desk. The street wasn't to hard to cross during the first part of the week but was terrible as the weekend approached.
The lobby and entrance was nice. They have some coupon books and a ton of brochures on just about everything in Myrtle Beach. The carpet in the hallways was old and outdated. We noticed a wierd smell in the hallway after a few days. It could have been from people coming in from the beach. Our room was alright. It seemed clean so that was all that really mattered to me. The carpet was clean and vacumed but it was very old. I wore my shoes most of the time. The sofa that was in the room was old and outdated too. We put our own pillows, sheets, and blankets over the ones on the bed just because of bad experiences at other hotels. However, the beds are very hard but we got use to it after about two nights. The kitchen was very clean and had about everything you would need, but the fridge didn't keep anything cold. The bathroom was clean too. We stayed in an oceanfront room and the view was excellent. It was nice to be able to sit on the patio.
A tropical storm moved in while we there. It was annoying because there was a very loud whisteling noise coming through the cracks of the door from the wind. We were awake all night. The work out room is alright. It has two treadmills, some bikes, and a weight machine.
I really liked the location. You are steps away from the beach. The beach seemed a lot nicer and cleaner on the south end. It was worth what we payed. I knew when I booked the room that I wasn't going to be staying in a 5 star resort. For the most part the hotel is clean it's just outdated. I heard there is going to be a new resort next year so I'm sure it will be really nice. Especially if they keep the same rates. Honestly, I would prefer a nicer hotel like the one next door but we were on a budget this year. I would probably stay there again if I wanted to save money.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2006

My family and I just got back from Myrtle Beach, SC and stayed in the Holiday Sands South. Let me just start off by saying that you get what you pay for. We didn't pay much per night for this hotel, and for what we paid I guess that we got what we expected. It wasn't too bad, and the staff was, for the most part, friendly and helpful. When I booked this hotel, I had asked for a non-smoking room, but were put in a smoking room. You could smell smoke a little bit, but it wasn't too unbearable, so we went ahead and stayed in our same room.
There is a restaurant located inside the hotel. I believe it's called Casa Blanca restaurant, or something like that. But it closes early at 3pm. So we didn't get to eat there.
If your looking for a hotel with things like a big pool with kiddie slides, etc or a lazy river pool, keep looking because this one doesn't have that. The hotel next door had a lazy river pool, and everytime we'd walk by it, the kids (and my husband) commented on how they wished we'd stayed in a hotel with one of those.
There was not a safe in the room to keep your valuables, money, purses/wallets. I was very uncomfortable leaving my purse & money in the hotel unprotected while we were out on the beach.
Also, there was no parking deck to this hotel. There was a few (and by a few I mean like maybe 10) parking spots located in front of the hotel and if they were taken, which most of the time they were, you had to park across the street in an open parking lot. Most of the hotels in the area had parking decks that were attached to the hotel, so I was a little envious of that. So if that is something that you would like, I wouldn't recommend the Holiday Sands South.

Here are some Pro's/Con's to staying at the hotel.

PRO'S to staying at Holiday Sands South:
It's right on the beach
Convienent to shopping, dining, etc.
Friendly staff
Low prices
Nice TV channel selection - They do have Disney Channel for those that have children.

CON'S to staying at Holiday Sands South:
No alarm clocks
No lazy river pool
The side of the refridgerator looked dirty
Carpets were sandy
No parking deck.
Uncomfortable beds - my back is still hurting.

For the most part, the hotel was OK. I doubt we stay there next time, because we want a little more in a hotel, than what they offer. So if you are a picky person who is looking for alot of amenities in a hotel, then I would say keep looking.

If your not picky and just want a place to sleep, that is close to the beach, has a great staff, and is pretty inexpensive...then the Holiday Sands is a great place to stay.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2006

This was our first trip to Holiday Sands and to Myrtle Beach and we had a blast. When we arrived at Holiday Sands we were welcomed by a very kind and helpful staff. We arrived early and our room was ready and waiting. The room was very clean and had plenty of space. We had a great view that we enjoyed every evening while the kids enjoyed the game room. This was one of the best vacations we've taken and we will definately return in the future.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2006

My family and I stayed at the Holiday Sands South at Myrtle Beach on June 11th thru the16th. We had a great time, the staff is friendly the rooms are clean and the view is great. This is not a 5 star hotel do to the age, but if you like clean and cheap rooms with a great view of the ocean and friendly staff then this hotel will meet your needs. We also had breakfast and lunch in their oceanfront restaurant this was also very nice with great staff. The pools were clean, and they have plenty of room for everyone to soak up the sun. I will try to post photos at a later date.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2006

we had a 2 room place.. i recommend 100% that you call the hotel and book this .. there are like 4 rooms that you can step out onto a deck that has beach chairs and a great view of ocean and its very private and if you go down the steps its like 10 seconds to the pools and 1 minute to the beach.. i wouldnt have stayed there if my room wasnt on the upper deck...the hotel is extremely outdated and the carpets are gross..very sticky and dont feel nice on bare feet.. which im sure is because of all the wet feet..the maids dont deep clean the rooms..its just surface stuff...we went and bought new sheets and a blanket to cover the sofa because it was gross..i did see that a few times a week the hotel has pros come and steam clean the carpets in the halls.. the outside pool is good and clean...the indoor pool is ok too..the floors are gross though..so always wear shoes ..great variety of channels on tv..no alarm clocks in rooms..kitchen was great..very clean...bathrooms couldve been a little cleaner..but they werent too bad...it was a great stay for the most part..it was very practical and very conenient..i have a 1 yr old and 5yr old..they had great time...so with having our room right on the deck..it was very easy to go back and forth from our room to the beach and/or pools...parking was good too..the location was ok..we werent right in all the congestion..but we were only 4 minutes from the fun..hope this helped

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lexington, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2006

I've been going to myrtle beach for years, and in April we decided on a Friday morning to go down for the weekend. We usually stay at the Windsurfer, but they were booked so we gave Holiday Sands a try since my parents had stayed there before. It was O.K for the money, but our room smelled horrible. The closet thing to compare it too would be moldy tea bags, eww. The bed was uncomfortable and the headboard was dirty! Maid service was great and the staff was friendly. Will not stay again, unless every good hotel is booked.

• Stayed April 2006
5 Thank TrueBlue1st
canisteo, new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2006

what a nice place to stay..... great location and great restaurant.. maybe a little better vacuuming is all!!

• Stayed April 2006