“Best on the Beach!!”

Holiday Sands South
Ranked #85 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Best on the Beach!!”
Reviewed August 27, 2005

My husband and I recently vacationed at Holiday Sands South in Myrtle Beach and we had a wonderful stay. We had a large oceanview room that was clean with many amenities. We opted to eat out and did not use the kitchen facilities but the large refrigerator certainly came in handy! The air conditioning worked very well and the ceiling fans in each room kept the air circulating so it was very comfortable even in the room furthest from the unit. Since I am expecting and very hot all the time, I was very pleased about this!

The staff was excellent - very friendly and helpful on any inquiries about restaurants and sites in the area. Checking in and out was a breeze.

There is sufficient parking on the premises and across the street. We never had a problem finding somewhere to park as we came and went. This hotel is very close to all the great shopping areas and attractions in Myrtle Beach.

The best part about this hotel is the close proximity to the beach. It is literally in your backyard and we enjoyed our time relaxing there. We especially enjoyed the little boardwalk area with benches to sit and relax. It is a nice place to go in the evening to watch the sun set and the ocean.

We did not make use of the indoor/outdoor pools, but they looked clean and well maintained. We did appreciate the outdoor shower area which was great to clean off our sandy feet from the beach.

We highly recommend Holiday Sands South and we can't wait for our next trip there!

• Stayed June 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Reviewed August 21, 2005

Over the last 13 years we have stayed in at least ten different hotels and resorts in Myrtle Beach. This time we chose to stay at the Holiday Sands South. We chose this hotel strictly because it had the cheapest ocean front rates for a two room suite. We knew we were taking a chance going for cheap but took that chance, and boy are we glad we did!
After I made our reservation I came in and read reviews posted here on Trip Advisor and for the most part there are good reviews with a few bad thrown in here and there for the Tiki building across the street. We hoped for the best and got it.
We arrived at 12:15 and figured we would have to come back at 3:00 to check in but were surprised to find our room ready and we were upstairs and unpacked at 12:45! The kids were in the pool by 1:00. When we walked into the lobby the first thing we noticed were the security monitors behind the desk. Some folks don't like all of the security cameras around today but I personally don't mind, especially with four children to worry about. Thanks to the Holiday Sands South for seeing fit to keep such a close eye on what goes on at their hotel!
Our room had three queen beds that were clean and comfortable. The kitchen was fully stocked for cooking meals with fairly new pots and pans, dishes and silverware. I had read a review about a shortage of towels, we had plenty. That is usually one of our main complaints when on vacation. But here we enough fresh towels, hand towels and washclothes for all six of us. There was an additional sink and vanity area in the front room so it was pretty easy getting everyone ready and out the door when we wanted to go someplace.
The pool area is well kept and clean, there is one outdoor, one indoor and a kiddie pool and two huge hot tubs. My son liked the fitness room, if you like to work out but don't like to sweat this is the place for you! They keep this room somewhere between cool and cold.
We will stay at the Holiday Sands South during the summer from now on. The rates are unbeatable, believe me I called every ocean front hotel listed in the Stay and Play guide. They were the cheapest, the rooms are clean, well stocked and the staff is friendly and efficient. We have stayed in places that charge far more but aren't nearly as nice. The is no doubt where we will spend our summer vacation from now on.
If you are looking for the Ritz, stay at the Ritz. If all you need is a clean, friendly, affordable place for a vacation take a chance and try the Holiday Sands South, you'll be glad that you did. We spent the money we saved on a really nice meal and activities for the children. It was really nice to find a place that all six of us could agree on and not one of our children ages 7, 10, 13 and 15, complained about a thing. That is priceless.

• Stayed August 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 2, 2005

This is an older hotel building, but well maintained and clean. The staff is courteous and accomodating. Our oceanfront efficiency had a wonderful view. The restaurant was open only for breakfast and lunch, but the food was very good (we only ate breakfast). There was ample parking and the hotel was convenient to all of Myrtle Beach's attractions.
I would gladly stay there again!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 30, 2005

Date: July 31, 2005. My wife, 13 year old daughter and I stayed at the Holiday Sands South hotel in Myrtle Beach, SC.

I wanted to write a review because I checked out area hotel reviews before I booked my reservation and they were helpful to me. I will say Holiday Sands South was not my first or second choice. Our trip was during a Mustang Week and the first couple of hotels I chose were already booked solid, so I asked someone in my Mustang Club and he was staying at the Holiday Sands South, and there were rooms available, so I booked one.

Note: I have only been to Myrtle Beach one other time so I can only give one comparison to other/better hotels. The first time we stayed at the Radisson. It was a GREAT hotel in a good location. However, it is not a Oceanfront hotel which we wanted this time.

**** BE AWARE *** TRAFFIC IS TERRIBLE !

Ok, for the review:

Pro's: All the staff at the hotel were very friendly and curtious.

Though the hotel is fairly old, the room was very large with
separated bedrooms, and a television in each bedroom.

The room had a full kitchen which was nice. We bought a few items
to make breakfast with and ate dinner out. We were able to bring
left overs back to the room for the next days lunch, that saved us
some money.

There was a on-site resturant which we ate at the first morning. It
was reasonably priced and had pretty good food. It is not open for
dinner.

There was small indoor and outdoor pools, however we never used
them. Nor did we use the small exercize room

Con's:

The hotel is located several miles from the main area of Myrtle
Beach. Depending on time of day, you may sit in traffic for a long
time to get to the Pavilion or Boardwalk on the Beach area. Next
visit we will say closer to the main area, between 21st - 25th Ave. N.

This was a BIG problem with my wife... We stayed 4 days and
NEVER had towels in our room until the late afternoon or evening.
We were on the 7th floor, so it appears the maid would run out of
towels before they made it to our room and never brought them
later either. We had to call the front desk to get them each day.

In conclusion:

I would not stay there again unless I couldnt find a room elsewhere.

For the money, it was not worth the headache of fighting the
traffic to the main area, and it did not have the amenities of other
area hotels in the same price range (ie: lazy river, bigger pools,
lounge, etc.)

Plus: NO TOWELS !

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 29, 2005

My grandkids and I just had the vacation of our lives at the Holiday Sands South in Myrtle Beach. The staff were all so courteous and helpful. The room was awesome. We could not have asked for more. It was WONDERFUL!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 24, 2005

Our family vacation started out as a disaster. The hotel we had reservations with did not keep our reservations and did not have room for us when we arrived. Imagine explaining that to a 5 year old who was "finally" at the beach. We ended up finding a room at a very dirty motel until we could call around and find a place to stay that was more suitable for 4 adults and one child. The staff at the Holiday Sands were extremely friendly. They had an oceanfront room for us and went the "extra" mile to have the room ready before the usual check-in time. I can't stress enough how friendly this staff is to their guests. The cafe is wonderful. We had breakfast and lunch there. The breakfast buffet is the best! Some of the other reviews mention that they "only" have the indoor and the outdoor pools. This is true, however, our trip was in the middle of July and there was never a time that either pool was too crowded. The views are beautiful. You WILL NOT find a friendlier staff, a cleaner motel (I never smelled anything other than a clean room, it was the first thing I noticed and commented on when we opened the door), a better anything anywhere, but the Holiday Sands. We've already planned another trip in the fall.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 23, 2005

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Holiday Sands South. We had a side view room. We were extremely disappointed in the view. We realized that a side view isn't great but this was terrible. The pictures on the website are very deceiving. We were on the north side of the building. The hotel next to us was about 15 feet away and doing construction. So not only could we not see the ocean but we had to look at this hotel and hear the construction every morning. I had also called in advance to request a room on an upper level. But when we got there we were on the 2nd floor. I went down to the desk to ask if we could be moved and they said there was nothing they could do. The outdoor pool was ok but the indoor pool burned our noses just walking into the area. We refused to go into the indoor pool. I do not think it was safe to even be in the area of that pool with the amount of odors coming from it. The room was very depressing with the colors being dull and the ugly brown carpet. It needs to be updated badly. The room was clean and the staff was nice. I think the only thing that got us through the trip was the extremely good weather we had. We never had to be in the room which was great. We will not be returning to this hotel ever again. We got what we paid for I guess.