“looking forward to schedule our next family reunion at Holiday Sands North”

Holiday Sands North
Ranked #79 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“looking forward to schedule our next family reunion at Holiday Sands North”
Reviewed October 29, 2010

This year our famiy held our family reunion at Holiday Sands North.
There was about 75 of us ranging from all ages. The staff was extremely helpful when ever you had a need or a question.
The location is perfect. Close to everything. The board walk was great from morning walks to the pools for both the kids and adults.
Our family used the conference room which was nice sized and had large windows to view the streets while we visited.
Thanks for accommodating all of us.
We're looking forward to having our family reunion held at your place again.
Pam Foy

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Travelers Rest, South Carolina
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We had a wonderful stay. Will stay here again ! Very quite and wonderful staff. The groungs and rooms are very well kept. In room safes are great for your valubles and they are free to use unlike many other places that we have stayed.Housekeeping was also wonderful.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Fountain Inn, South Carolina
Reviewed October 12, 2010

i had a great week at this hotel the staff is great room was good great location no its not a brand new 5 star hotel so if thats what you are looking for its not here but the pools were nice and you could just walk to a lot of places i plan to be back many more times Brian Fountain inn sc

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed October 10, 2010

This was our third time staying at the Holiday Sands North. As with our previous visits, our room was clean and the beds comfortable. I enjoyed having my morning coffee on the room's balcony that overlooks the Atlantic.
Our room was across from both the elevator and ice machine but our room was very quiet.
The staff is courteous and helpful, they do a very good job maintaining what is an older building. The hot tub is very relaxing after a long day of outlet shopping.

The room prices are great and its location on the new Myrtle Beach boardwalk makes an easy walk to shops, arcades and restaurants.

I am looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 29073
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed September 24, 2010

First, let me say that every single member of the staff at this hotel were THE nicest people, and they were so consistently nice and helpful that I have a very hard time believing any review that says otherwise.

That's why it pains me to say anything negative about this hotel. But I can't write a glowing review, because there are some issues with this place that seem like they'd be so easy to fix that I just can't believe they don't take the time to do it. We're not talking full-scale renovations needed here. A $1.99 tub of caulking for the bathtub would be a good start, and it would make a tremendous difference.

I understand that a lot of the hotels on Ocean Blvd are old. And I understand that we're in a tough economy, and putting a bunch of money into updating/renovating might not be feasible right now. And right now it seems okay, because you can get a great price on an oceanfront room here, and people trying to enjoy a vacation on a strict budget will book, and the rooms here will seem "good enough." But, boy, all it would take is a little bit of work to bring this place from "good enough" to "great."

We met and talked to many people who were also staying at this hotel, so we know it wasn't just the rooms we booked. The entire hotel is in the same condition:
The bathrooms are just a mess. I already mentioned how badly the bathtubs need to be re-caulked. The fixtures in the shower, on the sink and the toilet are all loose, and although everything was cleaned when we checked in, it all looked dirty because it's so old and has that layer of rust/build up. Like I said, re-caulking the tubs in every room and replacing some fixtures would be a relatively cheap thing that could make these bathrooms a heck of a lot nicer.

The room itself was fine. The bed was perfectly comfortable. I wouldn't have used the kitchenette area because the stove looked to be about a million years old, but the kitchenettes have been just as gross everywhere we've ever stayed in Myrtle Beach, even at much "newer" and higher priced hotels. There was something sticky on the front of one of the cabinets though that was there when we checked in and still there when we checked out.

Which brings me to housekeeping. Like I said, we talked to many other folks staying here and they all said the same thing, so we know it wasn't just the person assigned to clean our particular room. It really seems the entire housekeeping staff does the same thing: they enter the room, vacuum the parts of the rug that aren't covered by furniture or suitcases, make the bed and leave. They never leave towels, because apparently they clean all the rooms and then go back to every room and bring fresh towels, which just seems silly to begin with, but at least with our particular experience the housekeeper forgot to come back almost every single day. And even the one day we caught her in the hallway and asked for more towels, she still forgot and we had to go searching for her again later on. It was just an unnecessary frustration, and one that could be completely avoided if they'd just come in, clean the room and leave the towels at the same time.

Another reason I'm fairly certain housekeeping doesn't even look around the room after they partially vacuum and make the bed is this: when we checked in there was a huge brown bug smeared on the mounted television. You couldn't miss it. Now, I don't care that there was a bug in the room. It's oceanfront, there's a balacony, the door gets left open, bugs get in. Fine, I get that. But how does housekeeping enter a room every single day for a week and not notice or clean off a giant dead bug on the TV? We purposely left it there, and it was still there when we checked out. I was almost understanding of the fact that they never even rinsed down the tub, because we had a lot of stuff in the bathroom and I can see where they might not want to have to work around all our bottles and tubes. But that bug should have been gone before we checked in, and at the very least should have been noticed by the next day.

Incidentally, despite the many reviews I read that complained about the smell in the hotel, it smelled perfectly fine to me. In fact it smelled just like every other oceanfront hotel I've been to in Myrtle Beach. But the hotel is not non-smoking, and it's evident if you have even the slightest allergy or sinus problems. I think they should really consider designating at least part of their hotel as non-smoking. But they don't claim to be non-smoking and I knew it wasn't before I booked, so it is what it is.

On to the pools: There's a large pool in the front of the north tower, but I would never use it because it's right there on the street side and I didn't feel comfortable. That's just me. It appeared to be a fairly clean pool.

The other pools and the lazy river were in the back of the south tower under a cover . I can't really put this any other way; they were gross. The water may have been clean in them, but it was hard to tell because they looked filthy. The inside walls and floors were so old and stained. I would have been extremely disappointed if I didn't have the ocean just steps away.

As for parking, it was fine. The lots are right across the street, with one extra lot behind those, so all the nonsense about parking being blocks away in a "bad" area is just that, nonsense. The lots did get crowded though, and I am certain that some people who were not hotel guests parked there on the weekend while they went to the beach. The hotel staff doesn't appear to be vigilant at all about making sure the cars parked in their lots have the appropriate tags hanging from the rear view mirrors. There was one day we thought we weren't going to have a spot to park in, but luckily someone was leaving just as we were pulling in so we took their spot. But parking is going to be like that all up and down Ocean Blvd.

I know it sounds like I'm bashing this place. So you might ask, why then did I give it a decent rating? Well, like I said, it was "good enough." The people were super nice and friendly, the room had a bed, a shower and a toilet, and they all worked. That's what we needed. It didn't fit my description of nice by a long shot, but it was a room, and we were able to sleep at night and shower in the morning and get ready to enjoy all that Myrtle Beach has to offer.

To sum it up:
Pros:
Great location, right on the ocean, on the new boardwalk, close to lots of great shops and beachfront dining.
Really, really nice staff.
Great price compared to nearby hotels.
The free DSL worked great every day and we never had a problem with it.

Cons:
It's old and not that well kept up, so that even what's clean actually looks kind of dirty.
The entire housekeeping staff needs to either be re-trained or just plain told to do a more thorough job.
The pools (aside from the one facing the street) look just plain unusable.

I know someone at Holiday Sands North reads these reviews, because I've seen all the responses. I'd like the staff there to know that they're wonderful people and I wish them all the best. I don't mean to malign the hotel. We've been staying at different hotels several times a year, trying to find the one that will keep us coming back year after year. Sadly, Holiday Sands North wasn't it. But maybe with a tube of caulking, a new sink faucet and some more consistent housekeeping it would have been, and if in the future I hear that these things have been done I would certainly be back, as would my entire family.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank averagejanedoe01
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed September 22, 2010

This hotel is right in the middle of all attractions in Myrtle Beach, the price is very good, located right on the beach, the new boardwalk is very pretty ! We love to come here and stay, we have been to Myrtle Beach 3 times now and have always stayed at this hotel, it is a great place to stay, the staff is very friendly too ! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Myrtle Beach !

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angied1975
Broad Brook, Connecticut
Reviewed September 20, 2010

This place is very dirty. The beds looked ancient and the bathroom was disgusting. Everything needed updating. The dsl internet did not work half the time we were there. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business