“Biker's beware”

Holiday Sands North
Ranked #75 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed December 18, 2007

My husband, I and another couple stayed here the last week of October 2007. We have stayed here before and had a pleasant stay, however this time was different. We took out Harley with us. We stay in the North tower. The lady at the check-in counter told us we could park the bike in front of the office at the south tower that the desk clerk would be there to keep an eye out. That was not the case the desk clerk told us we would have to park the bike in the parking lot across the street. This parking lot is not visible for the hotel. It is behind another hotel. We finally got a parking spot on the side after some one moved. That week it rain on Saturday, another guess ask the desk clerk in the south tower to get in touch with the owners of the motorcycle and let them know that water was up to our tailpipes and we my want to move the bike. Needless to say no one every contacted us. We found out the next morning for the guy who reported it. I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank tbmcca
There are newer reviews for Holiday Sands North

Reviewed September 25, 2007

My husband and I arrived on Tuesday September 18th and we had an oceanfront efficiency. When we arrived the room was ready and it was clean. The only problems we incurred was the legs on the kitchen table were broke and a chair was place under it to hold it up, the side of the refrigerator and the front of the stove was rusted badly, and the second day we were there the bathroom above us started a leak through the ceiling in our bathroom. Maintenance did fix it but it took nearly two hours for them to fix it. The office did say they would move us if it couldn't be fixed. Other than these few problems we had a wonderful stay and enjoyed the outdoor pool area. This hotel is highly recommended for families and married couples.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2007

The website for this hotel makes it look like it could be a very nice hotel. In actuallity this hotel is disgusting. My husband and I booked an efficiency hotel for our one week stay in Myrtle Beach. We got there, and the parking lot was disgusting. Garbage everywhere. Ok, it's just where you park. So we went inside and were hit with an extremely foul musty odor. We went to the reception desk, where the guy told me to wait until a commercial came on for the show he was watching. When he had time for me, he told me I was in the wrong building. We went into the other building which smelled just as badly. We were sent up a rickety elevator, that I would never ride in again into our supposed jaccuzi suite. The room was terrible. It stunk, there was visable dirt and hair in the jaccuzzi, which is actually just a bathtub with jets (it's extremely tiny). The jaccuzzi is the tub for the shower. There was urine on the toilet seat, and the bed had a thick layer of dust. The carpet was badly stained. Actually, I can't find one good thing to say about this place. We didn't even stay the night. We drove down the strip and stayed at the Landmark instead, which was wonderful and only about $75 more for the whole week. Take my advice, the Holiday Sands is a dump.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ennazus520
Reviewed September 6, 2007

I stayed for labor day weekend. The front office was as nice as you can ask someone to be. The room was immaculate for a building that is old. I would stay there again except for 3 things. The oven is to small and set the smoke alarm off, the sink is to small to do dishes/ no counter space. I didn't have any problems with the beds which is unusal because I have a serious back problem and will take pain med for the rest of my life. The room was clean I did have to plug in every lamp but I don't have any problems with that. The pools inside the building were clean always. The pool and hot tub outside the building was also very clean. We stayed with our 3 yr old grandchild and it was a little on the tight side. TV worked great. I asked the maid not to come in everyday to clean I had brought my own towels from home and she had no probllem with that. There was wind noise coming from the hall but all you had to do was put a towel (thiers) across the bottom of the door and it stopped. This the south and the beach area, the halls and elavators will not be cleaned continously because of sand and high humidity u have to expect that. The smell you smell in the hall and elavators are from just that. I really liked this hotel if they had big stoves and sinks I would go back at thanksgiving time for a week. Thank you for making my only holiday vacation a most pleasant one. Rose

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank lilrose1960
Reviewed September 5, 2007

We stayed at the new Resort located next to the hotel. August 4-11 of 2007. We did not get any sleep. I have to young children we were rudely awaken at least 5 nights out of 7nights. From several faulty fire alarms. First night was the room to the left of us. Called down they took care of the problem. But this is 3 o'clock a.m. Could not go back to sleep. The next night our fire alarms go off all four same time. We jump out of bed grab the kids and start heading down the steps. Well we are the only one's in our night clothes going down the steps. At that point realized it was just our room. Walked over to the hotel to tell them. So maintance took out our alarm and set them on our table. Once again this is 3:30 am. Told us will deal with it tomorrow. So the next morning we go and talk to management what a mistake. I think a fly has a bigger heart. Did not care that this happened two nights in a row only our 3rd day at the new resort. Told us its a new place it will have some problems? Yes, but this is a major issue. You put all these people in this building. If there was a fire would the main fire system work? He state yes it would there is no problem with our fire system. No, then why are we getting rudely awaken at 3 am. He told us to deal with it or leave. This guy needs to be taught some manners!!!!! I would guess he doen't have any kids. My girls were afraid to got to bed every night asking me if there was going to be a fire? He did not care!!! Verey POOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Told us we got a discount when we booked and he gave amusement tickts. Not just to us to everyone that stayed it was a PACKAGE Deal!!! So the next couple of nights it was the next room and so on. I called they already knew what I was going to tell them. They said ok we will send some to the 5th floor. I just wounder what other floors that happened too. I WILL NEVER STAY AGAIN. Nice place But NOT Management. We even talked about looking to buy a condo here before all this happen!! MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pittsburgh, PA

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2007

Let me start out that we booked our hotel a year in advance. The rates we VERY reasonable and I couldn't pass it up. When we got there the people that worked the fron desk were wonderful, they got us front row seats for all the shows, were more then great to me when my boyfriend locked me out of the room. Our housekeeper was MS MARY she was wonderful, I didn't expect her to wait on me hand and foot after all no one picks up after me at home why should they when I am on vacation. But, don't get me wrong she fought with me everyday to clean my room so we came to an agreement everyother day. Always was laughing and had a smile on her face that is what I like. Oh and then there was EARL who could forget him. Overall they made me feel like I was at home and enjoyed myself not only because I was on vacation but, because they were not affraid to help out. The ONLY bad part about the hotel is the parking but, they can't help that.
BUT I am not affraid to say this I already booked our vacation at this hotel for next year. I guess when it comes down to it...how you treat them is how you get treated and I had a great time.SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!

Not affraid to sign my name

Mary R Rumfola
Moshannon, PA

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2007

We came down over the Labor Day Holiday. 1st time staying here because it was recommended by some people I know. As soon as we pulled up I knew I wasn't going to like it. The staff was very nice, but when I got up to the room I regretted coming here. The room had a smell that I cannot describe, the carpet was wet, the room was very small and in desparate need of cleaning and repair. You couldn't get fresh towels until afer 2:00 p.m. What are you supposed to do if you need them at any other time of the day. The cleaning lady's would come around of the mornings and gather up all the linens and clean them daily. But you had to wait until they got them ready to get any extra. They said they had 6 pools. I only counted 3 and one jacuzzi. They were so nasty looking that I wouldn't dare get in any of them. Their lazy river is a joke. It's a kiddle lazy river. Very short and the width of it is not much larger than the floats you get on. Their website claimed to have a 24 hour check in time. Not true, the guy told me 3:00 p.m. We went by about 12:00 and they gave us a room that noone had been staying in the night before. That was the only reason we got one early. I stayed at the Sandcastle at the Pavilion the last time I was here and I wanted to try another on this time. I will not be back at this one for sure. The beds were hard as a rock and all the TV channels were fuzzy. Oh! They don't have very much parking space. They have 3 overflow lots and if you like walking across the street and up about a couple of blocks to the last parking lot, be my guest. They have 2 hotels right beside each other. The one on the left has a small outdoor pool by the street. The one on the right has a cafe. The other pool area is sort of indoor/outdoor. The pool/jacuzzi area is underneath the building and the lounge are is out in sun. The price was okay, but I wasn't happy when I could have spent the same or a little more and got so much more for my money. In my opinion, this hotel needs to be torn down or refurbished from top to bottom. I will never stay here or recommend it to anyone. The only good thing about the room was the view. One other good thing was seeing fireworks shot of the pier close by our balcony. That was really cool. We didn't know they were going to do that. We just got lucky and were at the room when they let them off. Otherwise, we would have missed it.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family