“nice for the price”

Holiday Sands North
Ranked #75 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Everyone who worked there was real nice the room was clean everything worked in the room. It had signs of wear but thats what you can expect from a older hotel the maid was very nice and did a wonderful job. They would come clean our balcony anytime the birds made a mess. The only complaint I have about the room is the mattress we ended up pulling out the sofa bed it was much better. They seem to be doing remodeling so this may improve. The amenities was alittle disapointing the pool was overtaken by people not even staying there. Upon arrival my husband asked several people about thier stay there and over half said they wernt staying there. The hotel needs wrist bands or something because my kids couldnt get in the pool most of the time due to people that were not supposed to be there. I personaly wouldnt stay there without my husband because the parking is across the street and up and was surrounded with shady hotels at one point men were shouting nasty comments at all the ladies walking back to the hotel. They atleast need better security in the parking areas especially at night. Overall it was a good place to stay for the price I didnt expect perfection but to me it was nice. The bathtub worked nice the room was clean no bugs we had a good time.

Room Tip: The south tower is better kept
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank amanda019us
There are newer reviews for Holiday Sands North

Reviewed May 6, 2011

This has got to be the worst hotel in Myrtle Beach. I was awaken by my husband and looked at his pillow and there was blood on it. After that I began to see these little brown bugs that look like little roaches I never knew what bed bugs were anyways he begin killing them and blood was in them. I began to panic and he contact the front desk clerk and they act like they werent even concerned at first but when they seen we weren't letting up they finally said they would have someone come up. Thank God for internet something told me to google images of bed bugs and there they were nasty and trifling I am still having a hard time sleeping. Needless to say we left immediately and got a refund. The next day I had red bumps all over my body. Just horrific. Beware of this hotel!!!!! You get what you pay for.

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank kountrygal818
Reviewed May 3, 2011

well if you look at the pictures on there website it looks very nice. but then after staying there i took a second look at the pictures. the pictures look like there from the 90s. and yes I'm sure it did look that nice then. but it is very run down now. i couldn't get the Internet to work. mine and my wife's bed fell to the floor on the second night. the beds were hard and uncomfortable. kitchenette needs updating. on a good note the housekeeping seemed nice and so did the management.good location on the beach. and good water pressure in the shower :). i probably wont be staying there again though.

2  Thank Jonnylee040609
Reviewed April 29, 2011

No complains! Motel was alright as expected based on some genuine reviews on this site and feedback from freinds who recommended it. It is a affordable place somewhere between a motel and resort. This is a old place and you can say that by looking at everything. The crowd was little noisy but that can happen any where it is just luck that what kind of people are staying around.

Room: North Tower is less clean than South Tower. We stayed at North tower in an ocean front efficiency on 4th floor with a small kitchen. Room worked well for us. Cleaning staff was nice but should have cleaned room better. We had to point out what to clean. They do not do dishes and you have to buy dish soap. Ocean View was great.

North Tower: The moment you come out of room, it is dirty. So great location but this hotel will work for you only if you either spend time inside your room or on beach or somewhere else. So do not plan that you can do much acitvities inside the property. Its not clean and only swimming pool is just by road and you will not feel like getting into pool.

South Tower: This is much cleaner, has kids and adult swim pool, and Lazy River. Pool and Lazy rivers are clean but dated and small. The bottom and side surfaces are rough so you need to be careful with your kids so that they do not get scratch, but it is by no means dangerous or dirty. They had it closed from outside on rainy or colder days. This tower only has 2 bed room suites.

Parking: Parking is across the street and it is safe and convenient. I saw many hotels/resorts has covered parking that is also across street but connected over the street betwenn hotel and parking.

Conclusion: If you are looking for great location, and great price, this place will worki for you.

Next Time: I will try some other place next time where my family can enjoy activities and amenities on the properties with better indoor water activities. I am willing to pay more to have better indoor amenities and activities.

Room Tip: Get higher floor in south tower.
Reviewed April 18, 2011

This has to by far be the worst hotel in Myrtle Beach..THIS HOTEL looks like the place where M.L.King got shot.....Housekeeping was terrible....pissy pool...tiny rooms w/ terrible smell and view...outside pool had trash in it.....parking across the street, how inconvenient!!!!! The older guy at the front desk has no customer service etiquette, he is rude and accused me of having more people in my room then I did...he and management harrassed me. Management even called me in my room accusing me of having too many guest in my room..(IT WAS A FAMILY TRIP) DUH!!!! Holiday Sands North left a very bad taste in my mouth, I live in Atlanta, next time I will go to Florida. If u stay here u will regret it....add on a few extra pennies and get a better hotel...

1  Thank brinabo
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I just came from staying at the Hoilday Sands North. No complaints. Room was nice. Front desk nice. Yes, you do park across the street. No problem there. Its an older motel but I think its been well kept up. We had an excellent room. I had ask for a top floor ocean front and got the perfect one. The view was breath taking. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.
WiFi worked perfect also. Thanks Holiday Sands North for a great stay. See you again.

Room Tip: Top floor all the way!
  • Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank CHF56
Reviewed March 21, 2011

This was our first time to Myrtle Beach and we stayed here because the friends we travelled with have stayed here before. We stayed in the south tower. The hotel is family run and everyone is so nice. The one or 2 issues with the room (phone not working, stove element not working) were fixed within the hour. Cheryl, the wonderful woman who cleaned our rooms, was a god send. She did an amazing job and our room was always well stocked and super clean every day. I read some reviews on here about how the hotel is old, in disrepair and dirty, and I honestly never saw any of these issues. Our room had 2 rooms seperated by a kitchen and bathroom. The kitchen has everything you'll need to make your own meals..(well, not food, obviously) The bathrooms were clean and had a jacuzi tub. We arrived on Friday, and had a room on the 5th floor, while our friends had 2 rooms on the 6th floor. As soon as the room on the 6th floor became available, they moved us up so that we could all be on the same floor. One downside I saw was in the lazy river pool. It could use a few upgrades as the bottom of it is quite rough on the feet. We really enjoyed our days there..whether at the pool, in the hot tub, or looking for shark teeth down on the beach. We watched the sunrise off of our balcony and it was beautiful. We are already planning our trip for next year, and this will be our hotel of choice from now on.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family