“Not even at the motel 2 hours...”

Bermuda Sands Motel
Ranked #166 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Mentor, Ohio
“Not even at the motel 2 hours...”
Reviewed September 17, 2006

We drove a total of 14 hours to reach the Bermuda Sands at Myrtle Beach. We chose this motel because it was pet friendly. After loading our luggage and depositing it our room, we took the dogs outside for a walk. During the 10 minutes we were gone, the room was broken into and my purse was stolen. Someone appears to have a key to the room as there was no forced entry?? The motel claims no responsibility. They said they WILL NOT install cameras because it costs too much. No on-duty security guard either. The staff was not sympathetic or helpful in locating my purse or wallet. They just sat behind the counter as if this was a normal thing to them like they hear the same story all of the time. We were at the motel a total of 2 hours and checked out. I would never recommend this motel to anyone. Beware. You can't leave anything in your room and are held captive in your room because you are afraid to leave your stuff. Thank goodness my pets were not in the room when the theif helped himself.. It would be the most dreadful thing if the thief were to have injured my pets. The aweful experience we had with this motel makes us never want to come back to Myrtle Beach again. Myrtle Beach won't see anymore of my vacation dollars...I'll be going somewhere else.

• Disliked — No security, lack of concern.
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid at all costs...
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank benner1991

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed September 11, 2006

as was said in a previous review. you definitly get what you pay for. stayed on a weekend the first part of September for 59 bucks. Room was clean for the most part. Beds were small and itchy. the dining table was broke. we were eating breakfast on it and my 3 year old daughter put her elbows on it and it flipped up and flung our breakfast all over the floor. Elevators stunk. the little kids waterpark out front was nice, albeit a little but chilly. the Adult pool wasnt even an option because it was soooo cold. Not a VERY bad hotel, but would not go back. Goto Crown Reef. Much nicer!

• Liked — Little Waterpark out front for the kids
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank BigDaddyAndMan

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

n.c.
Reviewed August 28, 2006

We had stayed at this hotel a couple of times in the past, booked late and had not much of a choice but to stay again. We found it to be worse than before-even more rundown and trashy. I asked front desk if they were planning to shut down soon, the reply was in six years they are rebuilding a large condo building, so this is why they are allowing the property to go to crap. Rooms were run down,needed repair, pool and groundsman are lazy and do a bare minimum of work, over chlorinate the pool(my kids got a rash). The outdoor grills are even gone and the staff replaced them with 1 12 inch camping grill! Last day there we found out that they also own Bar Harbour next door, went to check out their pools and found this place to be even dirtier,rundown and worse than Bermuda Sands. I f I were lucky enough to own a hotel on the ocean like this, I would surely provide my customers with a decent, clean, and maintained place to enjoy their vacation that they paid so much for. That would ensure their return and satisfaction. Bermuda Sands doesnt care the least little bit about their reputation or customer satisfaction-dont stay there or you will be disappointed.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rundown
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay somewhere else.There are other reasonable accomodations elsewhere that take care of their property and care about their customers. Try Holiday Sands or Windsurfer.
1 Thank ajblalock
Madison Heights, VA
Reviewed August 19, 2006

I was concerned after reading reviews of this motel, but found out too late to cancel without losing my deposit. Most motels have a 72 hour cancellation policy, this one has 14 days! When I called and expressed my concern, the person I spoke to was rather rude and told me it was too bad that I wanted to cancel and that she would do it but I could not get my money back.
The room was not that bad, but parking was a nightmare. The parking area on the side of the motel was not paved and had huge potholes. There is a paved parking area but its up across the street a ways from the motel and it was not lighted, so you can't keep an eye on your vehicle.
We never used the pool as my kids saw trash floating around in it and it was so crowded you could not even walk around the patio. We only saw a couple of small dogs so the pets didn't bother us. The elevator did smell, but it was an overpowering odor of some kind of deodorizer and it was very rundown. Several times during our stay it was out of order. They really need to do some refurbishing and an outdoor pool would be nice since there are two large lawns in back. When we checked out, the manager was not very nice and made some rather rude comments. We would not stay there again even though we did save some money. So you really do get what you pay for.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — rundown
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Carolina
Reviewed August 19, 2006

My family and I stayed at Bermuda Sands the week of August 12th-19th of 2006, We had read some reviews before staying here, we had read some good and some bad however it was too late to get a reservation at any other place. I had read some reviews on the housekkeping, pets, critters, dirtiness, etc. I will just list my family and myselfs thoughts on our stay. First off...Our housekeeper (Bernice) was wonderful, our room was ok, it was clean, the furniture was very worn, Second, we did not have any trouble with any indoor critters, Third The elevators reaked and the floors were not the sturdiest. Fourth, The Parking was awful. Fifth, lesbians-gays demonstrating there affecttion every where including the Kiddie areas. Sixth, Pets were not a problem, as I took my dog, The rooms did not smell of pets. Seventh, The restraunt they advertise was not open at all. Eighth, The groundsman never cleaned the grounds, We arrived on Saturday and they finally cleaned the grounds on Thursday. The pool / lazy river was not cleaned until Friday the day before our departure and the water in the Hot tub was like an Ice Box. Ninth, The pool they describe as indoors is actually open this time of year in a breeze way so the water was very cold as well. The Lazy River had maybe 10 floats and was packed with huge floats brought in by other guest.

• Liked — SPACIOUS
  • Disliked — GROUNDS/ POOL WERE DIRTY
  • Tips/Secrets — DONT STAY HERE
2 Thank The_Boles_Family
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed August 10, 2006

I originally picked this motel because it was pet friendly. I knew it was an older hotel, but , for the room price,location and amenities, I was not going to complain. My husband, myself, three grandkids, and the dog arrived early, however; as soon as the room was ready, we unloaded. The staff was courteous, efficient, and helpful, as was our custodian, she was a dear person. I have learned that being nice goes a long way to receiving "nice" treatment. This hotel has a lazy river, plenty of tubes for the river, jacuzzi pool, and a covered swimming pool. There was also an onsite restaurant which we did not explore. The elevators were hot and smelly but you could certainly take the steps and what do you expect in 90 plus degree weather? We had a wonderful oceanfront view and a jacuzzi bathtub. My only complaint was that some of the other guests staying there were not exactly pleasant and their children were unruly in the pools. This was certainly not the motel's fault!!!! No more than we were in our room, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this motel.

• Liked — Lazy river, jacuzzi pool, and oceanfront view
  • Disliked — clientele
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank woodworkingwife
Lexington
Reviewed August 6, 2006

We took our family to the beach and stayed at Bermuda Sands. The hotel itself was okay. The rooms were clean and the pools were clean but the service was crappy. We could never get towels when we needed them. They were always washing them or doing something with them. Overall it was okay.

• Liked — The lazy river and kiddie pools
  • Disliked — Service as far as towels went was not good at all
  • Tips/Secrets — TAKE YOUR OWN TOWELS AND SHEETS!
1 Thank sassy4529