“Roaches, dirty, run down”

Bermuda Sands Motel
Ranked #166 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Roaches, dirty, run down”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is a very run down hotel. There is very little parking, and doubtful that you can park at the hotel. Usually, you will have to park the next street over in the overflow parking which fills up, also and has huge potholes in the lot. The luggage trolleys are squeaky, about to fall apart, and hard to roll. The elevators are small and if you get on the wrong one, you will not be able to roll the luggage trolley to your room because of the steps. There are no trash receptacles by the elevators, so a lot of trash accumulates there. The rooms were not very clean. I wore white socks and they are permanently stained due to the dirty carpet. (They allow pets... I would not want my pet lying on that carpet.) There were ROACHES in the room. We had to keep the light on to keep the roaches from running out and about, but I guess they got used to it because one crawled across my sister's bed and over her as she was trying to sleep! The air conditioner would not work, even after they came to "fix" it. It would blow in air, but it was warm air. The room had a bad smell to it, also. The cable TV kept going out and making obnoxious noises, until you wiggled the cable wire behind the TV.

The positives-- it's beachfront, next to the boardwalk, they allow pets, they have an ice machine, they have full-sized refrigerators, and there is a pinball machine in the laundry room.

Room Tip: Bring your own hose if you need to hose off your pet or anything--there is a spigot in the rear of t...
1 Thank Lisa D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Huntington, West Virginia
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Ceiling leaked everywhere, dirty, smelled, roaches, not just in our room but everyone was talking about them. Also, the AC broke and we called several times but no one ever came or repaired it. Everything is falling apart & ran down. Have stayed there several times even though it was never great, but it has been 2 years and it has really gotten intolerably bad. Disgusting & very dirty. Only good thing was how helpful Steve was when we made our reservation.

3 Thank Jane J

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed September 11, 2012

they had a lazy river and jacuzzi and swimming pool for the kids.the kids will LOVE it there.the rooms are nice and clean.good view of the pool.and a view of the ocean if you get the oceanfront room.right near the Family Kingdom amusement park and stores,restaurants.

Aquadale, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We book a room oceanfront for sept 1-4. When we arrived first thing I noticed was a bad odor in the room. We left the room to go do stuff, came back later that night and there are no parking spots anywhere for anyone to park including all the additional parking on the other lots on the other side of the street. Next we noticed the sticky floors, then the dirty sheets on the pull out sofa bed. Then surprise surprise we found roaches in the room. They sent a guy up with bug spray which did no good. They dont maintain the rooms at all, everything was falling apart. They dont enforce guest picking up the dog crap on the lawn. They have only one pool and it is indoors. The hot tub was hot enough to boil a lobster. The indoor pool was almost as hot as the hot tub. It took 54 complaints from various guest before both problems were resolved. I would rather stay at a place across the street with only ocean view than stay at the dump again. Please dont waste your money here because they obviously dont care.

Room Tip: Dont....Stay anywhere but here...I stayed at the super 8 down there and it was a thousand times bett...
1 Thank Robert M
Camden, SC
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This motel was recommended to me by a friend, but apparently they got it mixed up with some place else. I was greeted upon my arrival by a roach and exposed electrical wiring. I also was charged $10 more a night for pool view (hardly, as it was in the corner), than what the sign advertised. It had been changed by the time I could complain, but I was able to let them have it about the fact that they had PLENTY of parking, only to have to park a block and a half away one night at another hotel that allowed Bermuda Sands guests to park there supposedly. My door would not shut tight, which made me feel unsafe, and the dresser was broken, the mirror trim looked as if it hadn't been dusted since it was hung, and the ceilings could have used a paint job. And for what they charged, they could paint and update their appliances. The elements on the stove wouldn't even fit properly into place. On the bright side, the ladies who checked us in and out were very nice. The lady that was at the desk the night I complained about the insects in my room and the parking situation only stared at me, did not apologize or anything. This place was a dump!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Mandy J
Pikeville, Kentucky
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed here years ago and it was a nice hotel. It was super clean and the beds were really comfortable.. We returned last year and it was awful. It was run down and dirty. There was even a dirty diaper behind one of the end tables. This place used to be a good place to stay but not anymore. It needs ALOT of work. I will not return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PumpkinSpice1029
Seneca, South Carolina
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel was recommended to us by friends who had stayed there several times. When we arrived we brought all of our luggage up and started unpacking. When we opened the refrigerator there was a roach bug running around, my husband kill immediately. We went to the front desk and I told them our refrigerator was not working and we just killed a roach. I told them the room needed to be sprayed. No one every called or came by. I was awakened by something crawling on my chest. I grabbed and turned on the light to see what it was. I was a bug!!!! The picture is below. I went to the office again the next morning told them about the roaches and refrigerator. An hour later a guy shows up with a $4 can of Raid. Bermuda Sands Motel is the worse place I have ever stayed at! I will never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple