“Cockroach Motel”

Bermuda Sands Motel
Ranked #167 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Never again will I stay here or anywhere near this dump. I was terrified the moment I set eyes on this place. The room was dirty. It had dirty towls and plumbing laying on the bathroom floor. Carpets had stains all over them. Broken cabnets and lamp shades. Crusty kitchen. I only stayed there a maxium of 8 hours. Could not sleep because of the cockroach that I seen on the bathroom door. Horrible!! I felt like I was in the ghetto. I felt it was unsafe to even bring my luggage in the room!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel far, far away from this place!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sadie E

Reviewed August 20, 2012

So some friends and I were looking for somewhere on the beach that wouldn't cost so much. I found the Bermuda Sands the pictures looked like it wouldn't be a bad place for us. I had heard good things about the place by family friends. So we booked the two rooms for 3 nights. We got there and everyone with me was unhappy just by the way it looked! But I still went it to pay for the rooms the office didn't look bad so we decided to stay. We were told our rooms would be ready by 3 only one room was ready and it was after 4 before we could get in the second room! When we went into the room that we could get into the floor was Gross I wouldn't even take my shoes off my shoes stuck to the floor, and we were told the room was just cleaned but yet it was so smelly! The ceiling in the bathroom was falling and had moled on it we all showed with our shoes on, the smoke alarm was hanging on my a wire, there was a toe nail clipping in the floor it was just so Gross! They said the pool/lazy river was new? One kid got in the lazy river with a orange suit on and I couldn't even see the orange suit when he got in the water, it was so yellow! Oh I went to go to bed after having an all ready bad time there and pulled the covers back for a COCKROACH to tell me Hi before I got in bed I called the office and they just said someone would come remove it for me, got the money back for that room and we were going to stay just that night there in just one room and leave the next morning and go somewhere else, while talking about where we would stay ANOTHER COCKROAH was on the bed post in the other room we had. We packed the bags and left right after that got all the money back even tho the guy in the office was rude with us and we had to wait until the next day to get it! DO NOT STAY WHY YOU ASK.......................THEY HAVE COCKROACHS!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Pooka D
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I booked my reservation back in March for my vacation to Myrtle Beach for August, I had never been to the area before so I was not that familiar with it and also needed to find a place where we can have our dog, We wanted a 2 bedroom condo with a full kitchen right on the beach, I found Bermuda Sands resort online, it looked very nice and clean so I booked it for a week. I got down there and saw the real place for myself and couldnt even stay. The people that I saw that were staying there looked like criminals and drug dealers, the room was very small and stunk of marijuana so strong that you couldnt even breathe, there was something yellow in the ice cube tray that looked like someone urinated in it and froze it. I wouldnt even let my dog stay there. Trust me when I tell you, DO NOT STAY HERE. The website is nothing like the real place at all!!

Reviewed August 13, 2012

This was the most disgusting place we've ever seen. We checked in and quickly went to the beach. A storm brought us back early, so we decided to take showers and get ready for dinner. When you don't feel clean after a shower, then something is wrong! We ended up leaving 2 hours after we checked in. We did get our money back, but we were willing to take a loss if we had to just to get out of the filth.

In the bathroom: bugs smashed on the walls, someone's chewed gum stuck to wall, vanity falling apart, water in shower goes from normal to HOT to cold. I was worried my son would be scalded. I also had him keep his shoes on in the shower. The rest of the room was beyond dirty. We cleaned up water on the vinyl floor and the towel was black! The TV turned on, but it sounded like it was going to ignite at any moment.

When we asked for a refund, they gave it with no questions asked. They didn't even ask what the problem was. It was like they knew that this room was a problem before they took our money. Overall this place was DISGUSTING and I wouldn't recommend to ANYONE!

2  Thank Beth L
Reviewed August 13, 2012

First of all, I didn't read any of the reviews before I made reservations. I only picked this motel because they didn't have any restrictions on the breeds of dogs they allow because we were going to bring our large dog but didn't. Could not find a parking spot to check in. Left the vehicle in the middle of side lot with my teenage sons keeping guard while we checked in. The room the first night was totally terrible. Dark, small frig, small stove to close to the wall. The wall was burned from it. Cabinet Under the sink was torn apart. My family was very disgusted. We went & got something to eat & to think about the situation. Called other hotels but they were out of our price range for the time being. Berumda Sands looks really nice from the outside...if we got another one, we could be in the same shape. After we came back I asked if they had any rooms available with 2 queens because ours was 2 full size beds which I knew before hand. So we switched to another room the next day. That night we saw 2 roaches.

Much nicer, brighter, bigger! The second night of our vacation. The room was decent. I went to Walmart & got a can of roach spray. and sprayed. I let the lady at the desk know about the roaches I'd seen & she had a good explanation that i accepted also i told her about a conversation I had with a neighbor a couple doors down. The elderly lady said she saw a bed bug. I asked what it looked like so I would know if I saw one. The lady at the front desk shook her head No and said we don't have any. So the next night, our 3rd night, we goy infested with roaches. I saw 2 large ones & killed them and several small ones. I was ready to go. Hubby wasn't there at the time so I sat out on the balcony waiting for him. We decided to leave the next morning.

While packing, I found a bug on a pair of white shorts. Never seen this type of bug before. Took the shorts in the kitchen area to see it better. I smashed it & dropped it in the trash. we were already packing. I was checking out and the lady said your leaving early, you weren't supposed to leave until tomorrow. I said said things came up at home, which they did, But the mian reason is the roaches. She said nothing about the roaches, no appologies, no come back again. I wouldn't any way. Checked online while eating breakfast for pics of bed bugs, sure enough that is what was on my shorts!!! I wouldn't go back & I wouldn't let my dog stay there!!!

1  Thank Rhonda D
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I arrived late and after calling several motels, this was the only one with a vacancy that would rent a room for one night. The hotel has seen it's best days, The room was shabby, holes in the rugs, lamps were broken-- and the bathroom! The ceiling in the shower was wet, sagging amd had black mold, there was no shower/sprayer head and the towels were stained. They charged me $154.90 . There was no AAA discount if you stayed only one night!. The only thing that would improve this motel is a bulldozer

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 8, 2012

There was cockroaches everywhere refrigerator went out they brought another one and it didn't work there are 9 people staying in my room they brought 2 washcloths and 3 towels they were even out of trash bags when you tell someone at the front desk they act stupid and even had one sing reggae music to us I would advise nobody to stay here it's terrible

• Stayed: August 2012