“Westgate Myrtle Beach Trip Feb, 2010”

Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #71 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed February 13, 2010

This is a great place to stay. This trip was off season. Only complaint is the outdoor pools were not heated. Would go back again in season for the poolside bar and lazy river pool and live entertainment.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2015

Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us. We have renovated our property since you last visited and welcome you back to see what more we have improved on.

Ariel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,707)

Reviewed January 17, 2010

We go to Myrtle Beach every January for a golf trip. Right from the beginning of planning this trip to the last day we stayed there was totally stressless. The employees there are all very polite and act like they are glad you are there instead of just tolerating you. We were supposed to have connecting rooms with 2 beds each, but because of the time of year, they upgraded us to condo units at no charge. The breakfast was a full breakfast, not just muffins and juice. We will stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 6, 2009

A++++ Awesome place. Great Staff. Awesome food. Beach is so close. The pools are great.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed November 18, 2009

First time to Myrtle Beach and I choose West Gate Resort. The price was right, but the hotel it self was old and a little run down. We were not in our room very much so I was not to upset but this hotel left alot to be desired. The carpets in the room were damp and the whole hotel itself was in need of a makeover. The staff was friendly enough and did not try to push the whole" buy a room thing" on us. The only staff that was a little disappointing was the valet gut. He looked very angry with me when I tipped him $5 for really nothing he did. He did direct me to a parking lot across the street but that was it. I shouldn't have tipped him at all and he was lucky to get the$5.
For the price the hotel was just OK, next time I will find a little nicer place.
The hotel itself is right on the beach with great access, that was the only good part of this place

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sheriphelps

Reviewed November 4, 2009

Pros: I stayed at the new part of this resort. Across the street from family kingdom and on the beach.

Cons: Unit was too small for a family of 4. I had a one bedroom unit with one bathroom, a kitchen, living room and dining room combo. I could hear the conversation of the people next door, when someone knocked on their door I thought they were knocking on my door worst of all I could hear them snoring when they slept. At 3:00 am people in other units were partying and playing music loudly. This happened everyday I was there. A lot of shady characters stayed in this resort. I saw a few homeless people using the pool. The parking situation was horrible. If you got back too late there was no parking in the main parking lot and you had to park across the street. The week I was there someone was hit by a car as they were trying to cross this very dangerous street. There were too many employees coming in and out giving time share presentations. I did not feel at peace here. It felt more like I was part of a show. Also, if you are an owner of one of their other resorts they have you believe that all they want you to do is fill out a 20 minute survey. In return they will provide you with breakfast. This 20 minutes turned to 21/2 hours of them trying to get us to buy a unit in this resort. A one bedroom unit at this resort starts at $69,000 and the price goes up from there. This was very frustrating they wasted our time and they will waste yours too. If you are thinking of buying a timeshare here, or at any Westgate Resorts, don't. You will regret that decision for a long time. If you are looking to purchase a time share I would recommend looking online first. You will get a better deal online and you would definitely get a better resort than this place.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ellie01

Reviewed October 23, 2009

We are timeshare owners here and after our trip this year, we will always vacation here. I traveled with my husband, 3 boys, sister and her husband, their daughter, and her 2 children. We had a blast!! The staff were wonderful, couldn't do enough for us. The suite was huge with 3 balconies and everything you could need or want. There was construction going on, but it didn't hinder our vacation at all. Beach chairs available to take out to the beach, kids activities, adult activities, photography available ( we took advantage of this and the photographer was wonderful and did a great job) Absolutely no complaints....I cannot say enough great things about Westgate!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed September 14, 2009

I took this trip for a quick weekend getaway. I have never been to Myrtle Beach but I do have a standard for the type of hotel i like to stay in. This was not it. I had read a lot of reviews after I had booked a weekend in the hotel section of the resort. Since opinions are subjective I thought well let's give it a try. The only thing I wanted to do was make sure we were in the renovated section of the resort. I called about 2 wks before the trip and requested that. I was told that it could not be guaranteed but that it would be noted. On my way down i called to ask about the availability of the room. To my surprise I was told that it would cost $129 per night to book a room in the newer section of the resort but that the rooms in the hotel section had been recently upgraded. (About 3 years ago). They don't consider the money that you've already paid for a standard room since the reservation came from a Florida site they didn't know what I paid for the room. Well we were only going to be there for two nights so we made the best of it. We had a great time relaxing and shopping and eating but the hotel left much to be desired. They need to renovate the whole place, and i'm not sure they will since the newer side are timeshares. The hotel has a distinct musty smell. The room needed a good dusting. The furniture was ok but they need new beds and the pillows are a joke. The staff was ok, the counter people had a nice/nasty attitude. (Smiling at you while being sarcastic.) I probably wouldn't stay there again. At least not in the hotel section of the resort.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family