“Great vacation spot”

Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #75 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I loved staying at Westgate. It was very affordable and we stayed in an ocean front hotel room. The staff was courteous and helpful. The hotel is very close to attractions. This is a great hotel for families as we'll. There are lots of activities for kids and adults. We would definitely come back!

• Stayed: August 2014
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2014

On behalf of all of the staff at the Westgate Myrtle Beach Resort, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your stay.

Your feedback can be an invaluable reference for others who are looking to stay in Myrtle Beach, for this reason we truly appreciate you sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

It pleases us to learn that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again.

Anja

Reviewed August 20, 2014

Westgate Myrtle Beach is centrally located near area attractions. We had an ocean front balcony room which was wonderful! I enjoyed being able to sit on the balcony and look at the soothing water. I would recommend this resort for exchange or ownership.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank tinkydink

It is a wonderful feeling to be part of making your vacation experience a great one; with a stay at the Westgate Myrtle Beach Resort. We were glad to read you were able to relax and take in the scenic view of the ocean from your balcony. We thank you for your recommendation and patronage. Hope to see you again soon!

Anja

Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

We went in July of this year. We ended up booking the Westgate because we got an awesome deal through a vacation.
Check in went fine. We were on the top floor (4 I think) and as soon as the elevator opened you could feel the humidity from the floor. And it smelt horrid. And then as we walked down to the end of the hall where our room was and got to the ice machine there was a puddle, probably three feet of the hall. Disgusting. As you walked on it your feet literally squished. We told housekeeping. They just shrugged it off. It was there the whole week we were. Which is why it probably smelt so bad.

Our room was fine. Basic style with balcony. The balcony had obvious wear and the bathroom wasn't the cleanest.

Parking was the worst part of this hotel. You park ACROSS the street. You have to cross a pretty busy street too. Not my ideal of safe with small children.

They did have daily activities for the kids which I loved. However they were short and the staff didn't seem organized.

Overall the stay at the Westgate was alright. I would not book here again, though, even with a discounted rate.

• Stayed: July 2014
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the issues you experienced and for any inconvenience they may have caused. Your review will be shared with management including the housekeeping and maintenance departments. We appreciate that you brought these issues to our attention as we work diligently to resolve them. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

From the moment we arrived our general opinion was that the hotel was old and in need of refurbishment. Lets start with the room, the old fashioned aircon was letting an an awful smell and covered with green mould, we moved rooms twice, even though the third one was no different. Rooms were old, shabby and in need of updating, I heard a rumour that the newer block is supposed to be nice. Did not try the food although there were some stale looking cornflakes or chocolate flakes as you walked past in a clear glass container offering for breakfast. There was a 'free' iced water container and everytime I took a drink I was told that I was not an owner and could not have one. Why have a drinks stand in the main area that not everyone can drink, discrimination. The people who work there are quite strange, the reception could not explain to me how to work they in room safe, which you certainly need. Its a dreadful hotel, from service, room to absolutely everything - I would rather camp or stay in a hostel any day.

Room Tip: The new block but its three times the price - no difference between seaview or park view same rooms...
1  Thank joannehurley
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2014

Thank you for your review. We’re sorry to hear you were not pleased with your unit during your stay. We do have two different types of units. We have our resort style units which are more like a condo or apartment; and then we have our hotel style units, which are hotel rooms. Please be aware that our Front Desk would be more than happy to assist you with moving to another unit if available. We also have Housekeeping and Maintenance staff on property to assist when needed. We hope this will not keep you from allowing us another chance to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

We arrived about 4:15PM August 11th 2014, 15 minutes after the allowed check in time. I pre-booked a ocean front villa, 1 bedroom with a king bed, kitchenette and a pull out sofa couch. I also pre-registered online to make my check-in faster. When I went to check in the clerk told me that my room was unavailable. he said that he needed to talk to his manager find out where they should put us. after 10 minutes he returned to tell me that he had great news and wanted to upgrade us to a bigger room and a full kitchen. I told him great, is it still ocean front? He said no, but it is a nicer room. I told him that I still want ocean front and I would like my original room that I booked 8 months prior. He disappeared once again, and after 10 more minutes a female came out and said that they are going to upgrade my room for no charge. I asked again if it was ocean front, she said yes it is. After getting my room keys and over 40 minutes at the front desk, my wife and 2 little kids started unpacking our luggage and made our way up to the room. After getting in the room and going out on the balcony I had a great view of Family Kingdom Amusement Park and just a side view of the ocean. My wife called down to the front desk and told them how unhappy we were about the side view and being lied to. They told her that our original room would be ready in a little bit and we could switch then. This had already went on for over an hour and we were ready to start our vacation. We decided to stay in that room and sacrificed our view. Not a happy start to our vacation.

CONS
Check in was horrible, almost an hour long
The parking was not the best, however we were lucky and found a spot every time and did not have to park off site
The water in our room would never get cold, weird brushing your teeth with warm water
The Jacuzzi tub's shower nozzle would not work
No one explained to us everything that the resort had to offer, so we may have missed out on some things to do
PROS
The resort was very clean
the staff, except for check in was nice
Our upgraded room was extremely nice
The duel headed shower was amazing
The beach access was adequate
Pools were nice, kids had a lot of fun
resort activities were fun, my daughter did the scavenger hunt
close to everything

1  Thank Christopher R
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2014

Thank you for sharing your vacation experience. We’re glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and the activities and amenities we offer on site. We apologize if you felt misled or lied to regarding your unit. We always try to accommodate our guests’ to the best of our ability. We do apologize your Ocean Front unit was not available, but we’re glad to hear our staff was able to upgrade you to a bigger and nicer unit with an Ocean View. It was never our intention to make you feel led on or lied to. We hope this will not keep you from visiting us again.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

We are westgate owners and tried to book our week all year. They were always booked so they offered us 2 rooms in the older part. It was definitely not what we were used to with Westgate, but we made the most of it. The pool and lazy river and kids splash area were nice. The hamburgers by the pool were very good and convenient. We loved having Family Kingdom and the waterpark right beside us. Our housekeeper was very nice. I hope to never have to stay in this part again, and from what we heard of the plans to continue growing this hotel will be tore down and rebuilt anyway. So hopefully when we do return we can stay in the owners suite like we are used to staying in.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor at the end and it was quite except for the dog that was next to us and th...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We’re glad to hear you found our resort to be conveniently located close to the beach and the area attractions. We’re sorry to hear you were not happy with your unit. We do have our resort side which is similar to a condo or apartment and then we have our hotel side. You can always speak with our Front Desk staff and they would be more than happy to assist you with moving to another unit if available. We hope you will visit us again and allow us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

I just want to say one man stood out among the rest and his name is Trevor Jonas.We had a mix up in our reservation and he fixed it without any problems.He is very genuine and profession
I also want to mention Alena in sales who has a way of making people feel at home. These two people deserve a job well done

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank bynums
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience. We’re glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that a few members of our staff were able to make your vacation even more enjoyable. We appreciate you letting us know how great of a job our employees are doing. It lets us know we made a good choice. We hope to see you again soon.