“great experience”

Ranked #70 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Danbury, Connecticut, United States
“great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Fantastic vacation helped in part by J-Ann on the front desk. She offered us an upgrade and it was so worth it! Room had kitchen, king bed, living room and Jacuzzi! Great view too. It was ocean view, not oceanfront, but still nice and keeping the slider open let in ocean breeze and sweet ocean sounds:)

Room Tip: Ask for room in the tower
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny Y
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for referring to your vacation with Westgate Myrtle Beach Resorts as “Fantastic”. We really enjoyed having you here as well. It’s great you enjoyed your suite and all the amenities it came with. We see you also appreciate the breathtaking ocean views from your balcony. We hope that you will visit us again in the future, giving us the opportunity to provide you with another wonderful vacation experience.

Josie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed here one night when we arrived the lady at the front desk had upgraded us to VIP parking we thought that was pretty cool! When we got to our room they had giving us two doubles I had requested a king we had also found dead bugs on the blankets when I called down to request different room they didn't have any rooms available for us to transfer to. We decided to make do and go out to dinner but when we returned the VIP parking lot was full and we had to park down the block at their overflow parking lot! So Much For VIP Parking!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank welltraveled360
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay here at Westgate Myrtle Beach Resort. We value your thoughts and aim for customer satisfaction with all our guests and owners. I apologize that a double suite is all that remained for occupancy. Parking is also sometimes a challenge so it is great that you were given VIP parking. We would love to have you back so next time we can exceed your expectations.

Buena Vista, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

The staff here was incredibly helpful and friendly. We had a problem with our shower. The control nozzle basically stopped working and water was shooting out. They came up to fix it very quickly, and even gave us four free breakfasts for the trouble. The breakfast was EXCELLENT. While the hotel itself is a little old, the staff was wonderful and the location was perfect! It was so mice to walk right out to the beach.
Timing-wise, we were a little late for the season. The weather was fine, but the water was cold. We wouldn't recommend planning on getting in the water after mid-October. But if you are looking to hear the waves, walk the beach, collect some shells and enjoy the locale....this is a great place.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are worth a bit extra- you can hear the waves...see the sunrise, etc. from the com...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Joe B
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for your review regarding your stay at the Westgate Myrtle Beach Resort. We are happy you were able to enjoy our convenient beach access and our tasty restaurant dishes. Our staff is trained to provide first class service to our guests and owners. We are happy to see you received that. We hope to see you and your loved ones again very soon for more happy memories.

Lexington, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

I want to make it clear that there was nothing really wrong with the Westgate. It was clean and quiet. The location is ocean-front and convenient to all Myrtle Beach attractions and across the street from the Family Kingdom amusement park.

With that said, it's only a value at the off-season rate we paid in late October.

At check-in I was surprised by a $25 activity fee I either didn't notice or was not mentioned when I booked on Travelocity. I was directed to a second desk to 'validate' parking, which turned out to be an 'opportunity' to attend a condo sales pitch. There was no additional pressure after I declined. I was told I was in 'VIP Parking', although in late October the lot was never more than half full. The desk clerk waived the premium for an ocean-view room because of my military affiliation, but why charge one at all when the place was obviously only 20% occupied at most?

The location is adjacent to a major storm drain discharge. I never noticed any odor or water discoloration and didn't hesitate to wade through this ankle deep outlet, but it hadn't rained in a couple of weeks; I don't know what it would have looked like during the summer rains. The beach itself was clean and well-patrolled.

The elevators are annoyingly slow, taking 45 to 60 seconds to get a car after pushing the button.

The breakfast buffet was good. Nothing unusual but what there was, was hot and tasty. While it isn't included, it's only $8.00 with tax, drink, and tips included.

On to the room itself. The bathroom was quite small, with minimal counter space around the sink and a shelf above the throne. The towels were on the small side, barely wrapping around my 37" waist. There was no ventilation fan; maybe I missed the hair dryer. The tub had obviously been retrofitted. As a result, you have to step up several inches more than normal and the shower head was much lower than usual. I'm 5' 6" but had to stoop to get my head into the water flow (or point the head so high there was water hitting the far wall). There was plenty of hot water and satisfactory pressure, and the shower curtain rod was one of the curved, 'no billowing' type. The linen services were satisfactory.

There were no chairs or anywhere to sit in the room besides the beds, although there were two plastic chairs and a small table on the balcony. The dressers were cluttered with more than the usual number of local-area brochures, hotel amenity guides, restaurant menus, etc. The cable channel guide was out of date, with basic channels only. The reception was poor two days out of three; think of Grandma's old rabbit ears with the foil wrapped around them. The mattresses were too firm for our preference, but that's usually impossible to predict in advance. The refrigerator worked well, although it was difficult to open and close because it rested in a large drip tray. There was a coffee maker but no microwave.

If you go out to the pool, you can't re-enter through the same door. You must pass from the pool area through the outdoor bar area to get to a door that can be opened from the outside. Mildly annoying, although this may be an issue for some parents.

As a base of operations for a few days the Westgate was adequate, but we've stayed at better values at MB in the off-season for only $10 or $15 more a night. If we were going to stay a week, I wouldn't put up with all the minor irritations. I can't imagine how a family of four would fit in here in the summer, or why they would think of paying the in-season rate.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so happy you came to stay with us at the Westgate Myrtle Beach Resort. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. It is great that you were able to take your pet along on your vacation. Our goal is to accommodate the entire family in a beautiful hospital setting. Thank you for appreciating our onsite amenities such as the pools, Jacuzzi and sea views. Hope to see you and yours again very soon.

Fayetteville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

After booking my trip with Hotwire, I read the reviews and was mortified by all the negativity that swirled around this resort. Instantly, I became very upset Hotwire would have done this to me. I have used Hotwire on numerous occasions, and have been satisfied with all my stays thus far. Based on the reviews listed on various websites, it seemed as if Hotwire had booked me an nonrefundable moldy outdated roach motel by the beach! I was ready to cancel my trip and take it as lost, but I got over it, took a deep breathe, and gave the Westgate Resort a chance. Plus, I hate wasting money.

On October 29, 2013, I checked into the Westgate. The check-in process went swimmingly. The employees (Alex, Dawniel, and Trevor) at the front desk were awesome! They answered all my questions and were very friendly and personable. I was originally supposed to stay in the poorly reviewed older section of the hotel, but I choose to upgrade to the newer tower for an additional fee solely based on the bad reviews I had read prior to getting to the resort. The upgrade indeed was worth it! Out of courtesy, I was upgraded one step further to a side oceanview room with a jacuzzi free of charge. I only stayed for two days but I had a very pleasant and relaxing stay at the Westgate. I would definitely recommend staying in the newer tower, if that option is available to you. Beware, that the photos on the Westgate website are all photos from the rooms located within the tower. The rooms in the older section I have no clue what they look it, and don't really want to know based on all the bad and scary reviews. Just know when booking this resort staying in the tower is the best way to go!

Room Tip: When staying at this resort you should book a room in the new addition aka the Tower.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank FunTraveller222
Thank you so much for your comments on Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort. It is so delightful to hear that your vacation turned out to be a good experience! We love that you were able to receive an upgrade to your unit at the Towers. We hope you had a good vacation and can't wait to see you again soon! Ariel
New Haven, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Had a 1 week timeshare rental to use by the end of October 2013 and we booked in February for Aug 30 to September 6. We were put into one of the newer units with an ocean-view. The room was clean and spacious. The beaches were nice and clean.

The area of the hotel was busy and had a good of amount of restaurants within walking distance which was nice due to the fact there was a lot of traffic in the area.

We never used the pool or the pool bar - we felt it was over crowded due to the fact it was small. The bar was over priced and outdated but most importantly, it looked clean.

Of course, we got the timeshare spiel that lasted 45 minutes or so - we were very firm on saying "no thank you" when it was offered to us. A timeshare does not fit our life style at this current time.

All and all the trip was fine but I prefer to stay in North MB as it is quieter and not as busy.

Room Tip: Ask to be put in the new building and request Oceanfront if possible. Or if you are an early riser...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
We love hearing back from our guests about their experiences. We are so happy that you were able to take advantage of our spacious villas. Our resort has many different activities for the entire family to participate in. We also love how you were able to enjoy the ocean view from your unit. We always strive to ensure that all our guests are having a fantastic time. Please come back to visit us again soon!
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We left an electronic item in our room and made it half of the way home and realized we had not gotten this. I immediately called and spoke with Mrs. McCray who is over this department. She was able to locate our "very expensive" electronic item and was able to ship it out Fedex the next day. Thank-you!!!!!! I cannot place a value on your hospitable service. As I told you in my email I appreciate your time immensely.

Room Tip: Ocean Front baby!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Martin D
Thank you very much for sharing your experience regarding your stay at the Westgate Myrtle Beach Resort. We are very happy you were able to retrieve your electronic device. Our staff understands that providing honest first class service to guests and owners is our only standard of service. We also hope you were able to enjoy our resort amenities and beautiful views from your room. We look forward to seeing you and yours again very soon.