“Not a good stay not bad stay”

Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #70 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Franklin, Massachusetts
“Not a good stay not bad stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

This was our frist vaction with out the kids in 15 years. We had Not a good stay Room was just old bathroom was a mess. sink was lose water pressure would go up and down. i must say that most of staff were ok . When not trying to sell you a timeshare.We had a great veiw that we had to up grad to we were in room 616 it needed a lot of work. we would have to put shoulder get door open ( realy hard ) felt like i was a cop trying to break the door down . one time my wife could not get it open at all she had to go back to pool and get me to open it when we informed the front desk they said thats to bad and would get someone on it never was fixed or looked at. we had a good time because of the loction and we will be back to Myrtle beach love d the area and the beach And may have looked into a timeshare if rooms had a been little nicer and staff a litte more responsive to our problems . not just trying to sell when we are on vaction. So we loved the area and had a good time.just will have to stay elseware i wish that was not true this place could have a been great time not just a average vaction

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Thank you for your review. We apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay and for any inconveniences they may have caused. We have taken note of each matter you have had and will pass them on to the appropriate members of our staff. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. Guest satisfaction is out top priority and we regret that we fell short during your stay. The issues you experienced are very rare and we do hope that you will allow us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Mississauga, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Service: The service was very good. Jacqui at the front desk was awesome. She helped us over and over again. One day when the bar and restaurant were closed(the bar was supposed to be open but wasn't for some reason) she even went and took our pizza order to the kitchen for us. Well behind her required duties, but she did it in the name of customer service and consistently provided a friendly face representing Westgate Myrtle Beach. We did not find the timeshare people too aggressive, we talked with them, told them it wouldn't work for us to check it out this trip and we joked back and forth with them whenever we walked past them during the 4 days we were there. The rest of the staff from maintenance, to the cleaning staff, to the bartenders, etc were all friendly.

Room: we had the basic main building room facing the ocean. It was nothing special but was fine for us, and especially fine for what we paid. Beds were comfy, the fridge worked(need to fix the ice machine on the 6th floor).

Facilities: The lazy river needs to be fixed, it has a bit of thrust in about a quarter of it, the rest you basically have to paddle yourself because the current is so low. Be careful of the pool down by the tower building, the brick around it is boiling hot on the feet. They had a lot of spots in the main parking, so I didn't understand them having non owners parking in the further away lot. It appears they have done a lot of renos, looks nice.

Restaurants/Bars: The service was pretty good. The food at the restaurant was pitiful. Its one of the main reasons I couldn't give it a 5 star. We were the only people in the restaurant when we went for dinner and all 4 of our meals were stone cold when we got it.

Wouldn't mind visiting this resort again, maybe for a timeshare weekend this time.

Room Tip: The Ocean Breeze flowed perfectly into the oceanview rooms, try to get a higher floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront. This always helps us to improve the customer service experience. We are thrilled to hear that Jacqui was able to assist you during your stay. Allow us to apologize for any issues you encountered. We always look forward to providing our owners and guests a memorable vacation. We hope you will visit us soon.
Franklin, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I usually use Priceline to book hotels, but this time was my 5-year-old grandson's first time at the beach, and I liked the location on the beach across from Family Kingdom, so I booked through Hotels.com. The picture I saw was of the tower plus some amenities, and it looked good. I booked an "Amusement Park View" room, which was fine with me. It looked to me that the amusement park was right next to the tower. What we got was a "City View" (the resort's words, not mine). It was in a separate building from the tower in the picture and it was not impressive. We dealt with it, though, and our grandson had a good time. I put his extra clothes in a dresser drawer (which I never do with my clothes in the suitcase), so I forgot them when we decided to extend our stay by booking a better hotel in Surfside Beach. We called 3 times in 2 days to ask for someone to look for his clothes. Each person seemed like they couldn't care less. We told them we would be in town a few more days, and asked if they could please have a maid check room 503 for his clothes in the drawer. We insisted they take our number and of course got no call, so we had to buy all new clothes for him. We were told the maids "always" look in the drawers. Well, Westgate, either you have dishonest maids or someone is lying.
Would NEVER stay there again.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LaQuinn
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. If you felt dissatisfied with our new renovated hotel rooms, please accept our apologies. Regarding our location, our oceanfront resort, which is comprised of several buildings, is across the street from the amusement park. If our housekeeping team was not able to find the items you forgot, our security team would be glad to take a report from you and investigate. We thank you for your comments, as they allow us the chance to improve.

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

....is the message I received the entire week trying to get wifi at this resort. Let me start by saying when my boyfriend and I arrived around 5 pm on Saturday June 8th, 2013 we were relieved to finally get there, as we drove 11 hours from Pittsburgh. Upon arriving, there was no available parking and we had to circle around 3 times to find a spot. It was incredibly crowded, 90 degrees outside and we had absolutely NO help from the "bell hops" with our luggage, in fact, when we walked into the hotel lobby and asked where to check in, the concierge said "oh yes, go right over there" pointing to the front desk, at which time we got in line and were cut in front of by 2 other couples. After ten minutes of standing around having no idea where to go or how to get any service, I overheard vulgar profanity and was SHOCKED to look over and see one of the bell hops speaking to guests CURSING about how busy it was and how he couldn't wait until his shift was over. My boyfriend and I were in complete disbelief. For being giving the notion of being such a "high class RESORT" this place caters to a less than desirable crowd for sure. We finally found a luggage rack and when my boyfriend went to grab it, another bell hop told him it was being reserved for "owners", so we were left to fend for ourselves. Once we found one, we were disappointed to realize they BARELY fit through any doors in the hotel and, of course, our room was quite the distance from where we parked. We got to our oceanfront room, which was actually quite nice, minus the sticky floors and broken kitchen table... a few hours into our stay we decided we wanted to upgrade to the new tower, as much of the building we were in was rather dated. I called the front desk and spoke with Ashlin who told me to check back in the morning and she would try to get us a jacuzzi suite in the new building. The next day I did just that and she was able to upgrade us, for an additional $70 per night (totaling over $300). I was told that our new room was available, but since it was on the second flood, the view wasn't as great. We were just happy to get away from the madness in the building we originally were placed in, and packed our things to "move on up". While the new building is beautiful, we were practially disgusted when we realized we gave up our oceanfront villa for the second floor view of a parking lot and the building we just left. Sigh. The room was well equipped and very nice so we attempted to make the best of it. The days were nice, spent at the pool (although there was a mysterious white substance floating in the water which actually caused multiple families to remove their children from the pool) and at the ocean. The tiki bar was also nice, prices were reasonable, however twice I ordered a salad from the menu and was told it was not available. The bartender on our last day was either in a bad mood or overwhelmed by the patrons because she flipped out on one of the waitresses for taking someone's food order and not telling her, right in front of us. We made conversation with several other guests while waiting for our drinks who were equally (if not more) disappointed in the resort than we were. At night we found it difficult to sleep because Ocean Blvd was right behind us and we had to listen to the sound of mopeds, lifted trucks, screaming 18 year olds and blaring rap music at all hours of the night.... We called the concierge a few times for restaurant recommendations and found them to be of absolutely no help. Oh, and here's the kicker.... The beach access on the side of the new tower is apparently also a campout area for a homeless man who we had to walk past everyday going back and forth from the pool to the beach. It was totally uncomfortable and although we do not have any children I couldn't help but be concerned for the ones at our hotel, having to walk past this destitute individual and piles of human feces in the landscaping. (Not kidding.) I cannot express our disappointment and overall disgust with this joint. My boyfriend actually proposed to me on our last night there, being the ONLY "plus" of this trip. We will NOT be returning!

Room Tip: Stay Elsewhere!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Haley B
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies that you were dissatisfied with your visit. We will share your comments with our team, as we are always looking for areas in which to improve. It's our hope to have another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Every year a group of adult age women (35 - 40 year olds) travel for a few nights without spouses or children. We look forward to the trip every year. This year we got a great rate at Westgate so we decided to book. Upon arriving one of the elevators were broken so the entire hotel only had one elevator. Within 30 minutes of being in our room our luck got worse. Our faucet in the sink was so loose that we had no cold water. We could not lock our valuables in our safe bc the safe was broke. Within 4 days this is the rundown.....had TV and remote replaced bc they did not work. Had the iron replaced bc it did not work. Had safe replaced and still did not work. Had to have card keys replaced 3 times bc we could not get in our room. The breaker in our room blew which then caused the entire wall to not work including tv and lamps. The breakfast buffet in the morning was cold and unappetizing. They say they have 3 restaurants. Pizza place not there and the pizza they offered we heard by staff was horrible.....the pool bar was very small and the food was mediocre at best. The fitness room had no weights. They had 10 machines and 3 were broken. They have a 45.00 activity fee to use the pool, fitness center and parking lot. We went through 3 service men and I had called the front desk about 7 times during our stay. When we checked out we told the manager about all our problems and they had our phone calls on record so they knew we had issues. They decided to refund our 45.00 (big deal) and then had the nerve to tell us that we paid cash when we had the receipt for the credit card for the fee in our hands. The manager kept insisting that we paid cash. Unbelievable. That's all they could do for us was refund the activity fee...we didn't use parking lot because we flew, we didn't use the pools bc we were on the beach and I used the fitness or lack of fitness center one time so we should not have had to pay the fee anyway. Worst stay ever! I read all these reviews before I booked and it seemed like a nice place...boy was I wrong!!!! Never again at the Westgate. Rooms were nice and clean however and the people there were nice just too many problems that were not addressed properly with the management.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank lynn r
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Please accept our apologies that some items were broken and needed replacing. Our engineering team is skilled and ready to address any repair issues you might have. We will share your comments with our team, as we are always looking for areas in which to improve. We are, however, glad that you found the rooms nice and clean and our staff friendly. We hope to have another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Wow..we have been owners at westgate mb since 2005. Even upgraded last year. We come back every year but after this year not so sure. Beyond disappointed. They have done NOTHING in a year except some new pool furniture. Parking is worse then ever. The elevator situation in the tower is the worst. You wait forever for them (only 2) and they barely stay open to get people off yet alone let people on. Idiots working the front desk. Couldnt help with the crappy wireless problems. Couldnt itemize bill to see if we got owner discounts ( going to say no). One person working desk during checkout time. Anyone can access the resort and use it..no security. You have to carry and set up your own umbrella and chairs ( one poor woman got hit with an umbrella not secured) and apparently if they know that you are not going to upgrade because you just did..you are ignored!!! AC barely worked in tower. No stores opened in tower like they promised. No vending machines in tower. Teenagers screaming off balcony to passerbys until 3am. Apparently westgate mb is the ugly stepchild since all the stuff they promised is STILL not there. And they told us we would get an extra week to use in 2014. Yeah no..it expires next week. So glad we didnt bring friends!!!

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank agpotr
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments, as they give us an opportunity to improve. Please accept our apologies if you were dissatisfied with your stay. We hope to exceed your expectations on your next visit.
Wirtz, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had an amazing stay at Westgate Resort.
Our 2br 2 ba suite was very spacious and Clean!
we have a full kitchen and washer and dryer
the jazucci tub in the master suite is amazing.
I loved how you can just walk right into all of the pools.
My 20 month old daughter had an amazing time also.

Room Tip: 2 br 2 ba suite is amazing
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, we're thrilled to read that you had a great stay. It was a pleasure having you with us and we look forward to seeing you in the future.