“Westgate is nice but dining services bring the resort down.” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #71 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Monroe, NC
“Westgate is nice but dining services bring the resort down.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Just got back from the Westgate and want to review while things are still fresh in my mind. I booked my room blindly on Hotwire and was concerned when I saw the reviews. There are 2 sections of the property- the newer nicer villa building and the standard older hotel rooms. I knew we would get one of the older hotel rooms facing the amusement park because we bought on Hotwire. So when we got there I paid to upgrade to an oceanfront room in the older building. The newer villa building was sold out.

Room:
I was pleased with the room. It was MUCH nicer than what the Westgate's own website shows. In the older building the website shows old-style rooms with turquoise walls and ugly multi-colored bedding and old furniture. Instead the room had been updated. It had new modern-design carpets. Newly painted neutral walls. A huge flat-screened TV. New fluffy white bedding with white down comforter. This bedding was fresh and crisp. It looked brand new. The furniture was very nearly brand new too. It was modern, dark wood and was in excellent shape. The room smelled nice. It was clean. There was a refrigerator but no microwave. There was a safe. There was a beautiful ocean view and balcony with 2 chairs. The slider door actually had an easy to use and secure locking device like I don't usually find.

The bathroom tile grout was a little dingy but the bathroom had been updated to include a granite counter. The shower curtain looked to be brand new. The toiletries, toilet paper and such were nice and plentiful. The towels were fluffy and white and appeared to be new. It was a small bathroom but clean and adequate.

I can't comment on the internet because I didn't use it.

Pool/beach area:
I wish there was an indoor pool. All of the water features are outdoor but they are heated and fairly warm. There were 2 regular pools and both were handicap accessible. 1 kiddie pool with splashing-type features. 1 lazy river. and 1 hot tub. There was constantly someone out there tidying up around the pools or stocking the towels that are provided. I always saw people around working on things around the property so I know they try to keep things maintained.

Elevators and hallways:
The elevators did not look as good as the rest of the property for some reason. The hallways were also not quite as nice. But I did notice some air conditioning on the hallways as well as dehumidifiers so it seems like they try to keep them comfortable in extreme temperatures which is good for Myrtle Beach. I have surely been in some hot humid hallways in that beach town over the years. As I said before, I always saw someone painting, cleaning or maintaining something around there so the place is not in disrepair overall.

Staff (not counting food service):
The staff here is really NICE. Super friendly in fact. I think everyone I saw smiled and greeted me. They went out of their way to be helpful. I was very impressed with this.

Parking:
Like everywhere I have ever stayed in Myrtle Beach parking can be a problem if you come in late in the evening. The Westgate had an overflow lot across the street that we had to use several times but this is expected. At least we didn't have to park in a super tight parking garage like many MB resorts have. Also many resorts we've stayed at in MB have ALL of the parking across the street. It was a luxury to have so much parking available on the hotel side of the street really. And the spaces were large and easy to park in.

Location:
You could park your car in the lot and never move it the entire time you vacationed if you wanted to. There is a Friendly's restaurant directly across the street. There is a greek fast food joint close by and down behind this joint there is a nice little ocean-front bar. There are numerous restaurants on the other side of the Family Kingdom too. There is a mini-mart for snacks and beer/wine just down the street. There are several t-shirt/beach supply stores in easy walking distance. There is an amusement park directly across the street and a water slide directly next door. There is also a parasailing, banana boat, etc operation directly next door.

Note about Family Kingdom Amusement Park. There is no admission fee so you can walk over and just pay for 1 ride if you want or just play one game or buy 1 slurpee. They also have a daily wristband to ride all you want. This is a really nice, clean amusement park.

Bonus nature feature:
Withers Swash (which is a tidal creek) is next door to the hotel. If you have a nature-lover it gives him a nice place to poke around. My husband and son caught numerous sea urchins and a starfish in here (which they let go of course).

Other things on the property:
There was a small game arcade and some kind of a kids room that looked to have 2 attendants working there. My child is too old for this so I didn't look into it. There were also kids and adults activities for everyday (mostly with fee). Mostly crafts for the kids. For the adults trips to the casino boat, massages, hair brading, etc.

Food service:
This is where the resort dropped the ball in my opinon.

Pool bar/lunch. It opened at 1:00. We had some drinks here and they were really good and reasonably priced. The restaurant was not open for lunch but you could order a limited selection from the pool bar. We ate lunch there twice and it was fine. We had hamburgers, hot dogs, and fried chicken tenders all with french fries and they were all good. They brought the food out in to-go boxes with condiment packets so you could eat by the pool or take it to your room. I thought the food was very reasonably priced here. We had 2 different bartenders/servers in this area and they were GREAT. Very nice and very efficient.

Restaurant for breakfast.
They had a full breakfast buffet for $7.95 including coffee and juices. This was a good buffet and very well-priced. It had bacon, sausage, grits, oatmeal, potatoes, pancakes, french toast, cereals and more. It is a really good bet for breakfast.

Restaurant for supper.
This placed sucked for supper. I knew better than to eat at a hotel restaurant for supper but it was raining and I didn't want to walk across to Friendly's in the rain. I had the special for the night which was a cajun steak for $20. It was well-cooked and had a nice flavor but it was 90% fat and I might be optomistic on that. It might have been 95% fat. The baked potato had been microwaved and was hard and dry. I could barely eat it. The mixed vegetable was horrible. It was also microwaved to within an inch of its life and coated with so much oil it was greasy. I didn't even eat one bite of it. The side salad was nice as was the dressing. My son had the personal pizza with fries and he liked it very well. The waitress left much to be desired. She was finishing up with one table when we came in and then we were her only table until long after we had finished eating. She never checked back with us so I did not have the chance to gripe about my bad food. Then we finished our meals and waited and waited. She finally came out to do something else and I told her that we wanted to charge the meal to our room hoping that she would get the hint to bring us the bill. She walked off and never came back. I looked at the time on my cellphone. 19 minutes later (this would have been at least 40 minutes after we finished eating) I finally got up and stood at the bar until she noticed us and came over to get our bill together so what I could sign it to the room. She never even noticed that I barely touched any of my food. She said she gave me my son's meal "free" (because of the long wait I had endured) and I said it was supposed to be free anyway since I ordered an adult entree. She said that it was not normally free when you ordered the special. This is total BS. Meanwhile the other bartender/waiter was practically kissing his table's butts because they were ordering alcohol along with their food. I'm sure their food was bad too but at least they got good service. This restaurant brought my whole opinion of the resort down quite a few notches.

Timeshare sales:
I was not approached or harrassed by any kind of timeshare pitch. I appreciated this. However, they were giving plenty of pitches. There was no lack of timeshare prospects. The timeshare tours did not hamper my enjoyment of the vacation at all. I enjoyed over-hearing some of their pitches too. They are pretty smooth. Though I will say that the timeshare sales area was the nicest are of the entire complex. It was very modern. Very clean. Perfect in fact. They know where to really invest their $$ on that property- to attract new timeshare owners. I don't blame them for it- it is what it is.

Overall experience:
If my supper restaurant experince would have been good, I would have given this place 4 out of 5. I also told the guy about the very bad restaurant experience when I checked out. He totally ignored that I said anything about it. I got the feeling he had heard it before.

Therefore I had to go with a 3 star rating because the restaurant experience sullied the whole affair and no one seemed to want to make it right.

I would stay here again, but just not eat at the restaurant at night. Overall it was well worth the price I paid.

Room Tip: The older part of the hotel offers some rooms with fantastic oceanfronts very close to the water.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank tarheelluv
WestgateGuestRels, Front Office Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Westgate Myrtle Beach Resort. Thank you for taking the time and having such a detailed review of our property. We must apologize about your restaurant experience. Your review will be shared with management including the restaurant management staff to ensure that this doesn’t happen again. We appreciate that you brought these issues to our attention as we work diligently to resolve them. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations at Westgate Myrtle Beach Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
Warwick, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

This hotel is wonderful. We went for a cheer competition it is clean, has spacious rooms,exceptional location, helpful staff and great pools. It is near great attractions for both kids and adults. The only downside is the food. We had a bin with sizeable mold. Good thing is there are lots of eateries nearby we had a terrific time despite 50 degree toe ratites.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent review of Westgate Myrtle Beach Resort. We appreciate that you had chosen us for your cheer competition. We are glad to know that you felt the rooms were clean, spacious, and in an exceptional location and that we had helpful staff and great pools. We are located in a great location for kids and adults as we are in the heart of downtown Myrtle Beach and directly across the street from Family Kingdom. We must apologize for any challenges with our food and beverage outlets and we have brought those items to management's attention. Thank you once again for your review of Westgate Myrtle Beach Resort and we hope to see you in the future.
Cary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

When your traveling with family, its hard to find enough space for everyone, but this place had everything we were looking for! Enough space, ENOUGH TOWELS (some of you with a large family know what I'm talking about) LOL. Beds are comfy and firm ~ I like softer bed, but it still was good sleep. They had a good restaurant onsite~very good food. Outdoor pools, weight room and jacuzzi. This resort is right on the ocean! WE also had a kitchenette where we could cook to save more money (Piggly Wiggly grocery around theblock~kind of pricy, but ask for a piggly card to get all advertised pricing) There is also a dollar general one block up from the pig with cheaper non meat food items if you're on a budget. This resort is right across the street from Family Kingdom theme park (print out coupons for $3 off right on Family Kingdoms Website). I traveled with teenagers so there is a Karma Teen Club for $10 that they all enjoyed and can't wait to come back again. FYI~ this club is not open all year, check their website before planning to bring your teens here!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Ms J
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on your recent stay at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort. We are very happy to know the resort provided "everything you were looking for." We are happy to know we exceeded your expectations. We appreciate that you enjoyed the amenities such as the "towels, pools, weight room, and jacuzzi" at Westgate Myrtle Beach. We look forward to exceeding you expectations once again.
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I checked in here after traveling for the entire day. I went to take a shower and there was hair on the walls that wasn't my own. There was also hair all over the shower curtain, different hair than the one on the walls. The shower would not turn off and leaked all night.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent feedback on Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort. We apologize for the issues you experienced and for any inconvenience they may have caused. Your review will be shared with management including the housekeeping and maintenance departments to ensure that this doesn’t happen again. We appreciate that you brought these issues to our attention as we work diligently to resolve them. It goes without saying you should not have experienced these issues and we sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations nor our standards. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Pembroke, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

A most enjoyable week on Myrtle Beach where there is 60 miles of beautiful beach. Great for walking, collecting shells, kayaking, banana boating, swimming, etc. The hotel is situated right on the beach and what a hotel! This was an exchange with our time share and it's the best we've been to! We were on the 6th floor and what a view.....you felt like you were right out there! We had a huge master bedroom with king size bed, a two person jacuzzi and a large reading chair looking out the patio door (that was just in the bedroom!). We had a large shower room, double sinks and a cupboard with 18 bath towels -- 18! couldn't believe it!! The living room had a queen pull out sofa, a love seat and a large flat screen tv with patio doors, most comfortable...also a great sounding stereo! The dining room had a long table with bench and 4 chairs to accomodate 8 people. The kitchen had a microwave, washer and dryer, dishwasher, full stove and fridge (with icemaker) and lots of dishes and flatware even the coffee ,dishsoap, dishwasher soap were provided for the whole week. This place was spotless, never seen a place so clean. There were several pools, it was close to many attractions and parks, shopping, etc. It was a week in paradise! Excellent staff and concierge service and security in the parking lot!

Room Tip: 6th floor gave you a super view and the extended balcony had a table and two chairs at each end of i...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Diane M
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thank you for your review of Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and we are pleased to read that you enjoyed the location and the great views. We are glad you had a "most enjoyable week." We will share your comments with the staff as we are sure they will be very pleased to know that you said, "This place was spotless, never seen a place so clean". It was our pleasure, and thank you for choosing Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort for your Myrtle Beach vacation. We look forward to exceeding your expectations again!
Bolingbrook, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have been to several resort, this one was uber amazing. The view from my room was gorgeous! The staff was very heplful nice and courteous too! The knowledge of things to do by the staff made me feel even more comfortable and ready to explore the surrounding area. What ever is was that you were looking to do the staff was right there with the answers. Even thought they were doing renovations the rooms were clean and comfortable, and unlike many other hotel resorts there were plenty of towels in the bathroom!! That was a plus for me. Besides having to pay for WiFi and breakfast the time i stayed there, I had a wonderful experience and cant wait until I come back!

Room Tip: rooms with the ocean view are wonderful, and if your traveling with a group and your rooming by your...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hurley216
Thank you for describing Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort staff as “very helpful nice and courteous”. We are pleased that we exceeded your expectations! We love that you feel that the "rooms were clean and comfortable” and that you "had a wonderful experience and cant wait until I come back!" We all thank you and look forward to welcoming you back and exceeding your expectations once again.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I, being a college student, took a road trip down to this hotel for spring break. The pricing was excellent with the Triple A discount and two other girls and I fit comfortably in a room with a kitchen and king sized bed with a pull out couch. There was a certain security guard there who did a wonderful job and I just wanted to take the time to bring attention to him! His name was Kevin Knipper and he was a joy to have around the hotel! He really took the time to get to know the visitors and was respectful when he had to enforce the rules. I know it must have been difficult to deal with all the loud spring breakers, but his attitude and personality made us all really want to be respectful and I appreciated how he handled every situation. So again, his name was Kevin Knipper and his badge number was 308. He was a FANTASTIC security guard and he should definitely be acknowledged for that. Saying that, the rest of the staff at the Westgate were very friendly and overall the trip was awesome.

Room Tip: "oceanview" doesn't necessarily mean view of the ocean. make sure you talk to the fron...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of our property. Thank you for recognizing Kevin and the rest of the staff; they really appreciated being recognized. It's rewarding to know you were able to spend time with us and we played a part in helping you create those memorable spring break experiences. Thank you once again and we hope to see you soon.