“First stay at resort, fairly impressed.”

Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #75 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed at a week at the resort for our spring break. First of all, being 20 year olds its nearly impossible to find somewhere to stay that will rent to us, we are not the type of people that go out and party or drink, I even made a comment and said our hotel room is probably the only room here without alcohol in it. So that was definitely a plus, the hotel itself was surprisingly nice for the money, I was expecting something less for sure. When arrived the front desk was pretty helpful. We were not helped to our room, so we had no idea where to go at first and that was a little annoying. When we finally got unpacked and found our room I tried to take a shower and there was absolutely no water pressure in the shower. We called the front desk and they sent maintenance up fairly quickly, although the maintenance guy didn't seem to know what he was doing. He was in our room three times before he just said that the plumbing in the building was messed up and they were gonna call a plumber. That was an irritating experience, we paid almost 500 dollars to stay in a room with no shower. We went to the front desk and asked when it would be fixed, apparently they had no idea it had happened. When we did, there was a guy there named Trevor, he actually checked us in as well, he was very friendly and he upgraded our room no questions asked to an ocean front villa, it was great and it definitely made the vacation better. That changed my mood about the hotel right away. After that our stay there was perfect, everything in the room worked perfect and it was really comfortable, it felt more like a nice condo than a hotel room. I am impressed with the Westgate for the amount of money we paid, I was definitely not expecting it to be as nice as it was. The only other negatives about the stay was that the hallways smelled a little weird, and one of the elevators was broken, but it was only for a few hours for one day, but being on the 2nd floor taking the stairs was fine with me. Good exercise anyways. The parking was also not so great, although I have a big truck and that has something to do with it, but they definitely don't have a big enough parking lot to accommodate the amount of rooms they have at the resort. Although even though I have these complaints I am still impressed with the resort, for the amount of money we spent and the location of the resort itself, not to mention the fact they upgraded our room to the best they have for absolutely nothing.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: If you want actual ocean view the "ocean view" rooms don't really have it, the only on...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel T
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you for your recent feedback on our property. We are very glad that you found Trevorto be very friendly and helpful. We strive to exceed our guests expectations during their stay and it appears that we were able to accomplish that with you and your stay. I have passed your comments regarding the water issue and the service provided to our Chief Engineer, and appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We do provide luggage assistance upon request for anyone. Our staff is here to assist anyone that requires anything at anytime. Thank you once again for your review and we hope that you will choose us again in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,696)

Reviewed March 17, 2013

When we arrived to check in there was several people at the desk complaining. The first lady said their shower wasn't working. We finally got checked in after they helped the other folks. Our room was small for a resort. There wasn't a microwave in the room. No indoor pool. We were told that the outdoor pool was heated but it wasn't. The lap pool was heated. Both pools needed cleaning. The hot tub was closed. Our bathtub wouldn't drain. When we left to checkout they had removed all the bathroom sinks on our level. We had to park across the street a block down from the entrance. The beds were regular size. However, the rooms were clean and overall it wasn't that bad just not resort quality. Hopefully new sinks are going in. Hopefully they are remodeling!

Room Tip: Stay in the new building
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Happiestgoer
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We certainly take your concerns seriously and apologize for the inconveniences that we may have caused.

We are presently addressing these concerns; work is underway in the hotel and tower buildings. We have tried to keep any inconveniences to a minimum by scheduling work on the slower week days. We are adding a new furniture upgrade which will include all new furniture, lighting, and 42" flat HD TV's, granite bathroom vanities, upgrading to Queen size beds as well as upgrades in the hallways and pool decks. Furthermore, a new game room, ice cream parlor, pool bar, and food and beverage outlets should be completed soon. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future so we can show you that great service and quality we are known for. We look forward to you giving us this opportunity and serving you again soon.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We visited this resort back a few years ago and it is amazing. We were a family of 8 and stayed in the two room villa ocean view. Everything was clean and up to date. Everyone we spoke with was always willing to help with our questions. We were there on the 4th of July so the parking was not that great but we managed. We will definitely return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Stacy C

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on your recent stay at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort. We are very happy to know that you feel the resort "is amazing" and appreciated all of the wonderful in room amenities. We have shared your compliments with the staff and we are happy to know we exceeded your expectations. We appreciate that you returned to Westgate Myrtle Beach, and we look forward to exceeding your expectations once again.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I had an amazing time here with my friends on Spring break. The hotel is in a great location and was very attractive as well. The rooms are really clean and depending on the type you get its a nice size. Pretty good value for your money as well. The only thing is that the jacuzzi needed to be cleaned more often. Other than that...pretty amazing hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for your review of Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort. We provide a variety of accommodations depending on your needs. We offer luxurious condos ranging from studios to 4 bedroom oceanfront units and all are appointed with state of the art electronics and premium furnishings. We also provide standard hotel units with two beds, and we treat all of our accommodations with a very high standard of cleanliness and service. We thank you for your praise of our service, cleanliness and the value. We look forward to welcoming you back soon, and exceeding your expectations.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have stayed at the Westgate Resort on numerous occasions and I have found the staff at the resort to be concerned about our needs and concerns. Currently they are making major changes in the rooms the results of which will enhance anyone's stay.
The front desk is very pleasant and willing to go the extra mile to make your visit exceptional. I have worked with the consultants for the golf packages and they have also been exceptional. Those working the restaurant and bar are always friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: Attempt to get rooms away from the elevator.
2  Thank Roger S

Thank you for calling Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort staff “exceptional”. We are very pleased that you were so happy with your stay and rate us so high. We try very hard to make sure that all of our guests are enjoying their stay so we appreciate your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home soon.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The following review is very in-depth, and I hope it is beneficial to you. I try to be as detailed as possible to give the most quality review possible.

I went to the Westgate Resort on March 8 -12, 2013. It was during a college spring break weekend. The check-in age is 18 years old, but I would not worry too much about that. The resort seemed relatively quiet even on spring break, and as I will later talk about, the guest service seemed to be very good so if there ever was a problem with young guests, I’m sure they would take care of it in a very timely matter.

This Westgate Resort is divided into two sections – a wing and a tower. The tower is not connected to the wing, but the outdoor patios of the wing and tower are connected.

The front desk was very welcoming and accommodating. The lady checking me in gave us a great room location (the last floor of the tower which had a breathtaking view of the ocean and boardwalk). We had a ocean-view room (not an ocean-front room). Our room was located in the tower - which seemed to be recently new (seemed to be built within the past 3 years). The room had 1 bedroom with a full kitchen, dining area, bathroom and living area with an extended porch from the living area to the bedroom. The room was incredible. Everything was nice, modern, and functioning properly. The kitchen table could easily seat 6 people and possibly even more than that. The kitchen had plenty of dishes, cups and appliances (all functioning properly). If you like to sometimes cook at the beach, this is a great set-up. We made tacos one night, and it worked great. The bathroom was very spacious – it had 2 sinks, 2 showerheads (with great water pressure), and a side toilet room (with a door). The bedroom was just as spacious as it had a closet, jacuzzi and outside porch access. The bed was very comfortable. The outdoor porch had plenty of seats and tables. Our porch connected from the bedroom to the living room (so it was a large porch). The living room had a couch and loveseat. The couch had a sleeper sofa within it (I heard it wasn't too comfortable, but I guess you cannot expect too much from a sleeper sofa anyways). The entertainment center was built into an “entertainment cabinet.” There was a stereo system (with a iPod connector) within the cabinet doors, and the flat-screen TV was built into this entertainment center as well. There was a DVD player hooked up to the TV also. There were flat screens in both the bedroom and living area. The cable feed looked fuzzy and seemed noisy (like a static sound) on certain channels. It almost seemed like there was a bad cable feed so it was annoying at times. The TV programming came with 2 HBO channels, which were nice. Overall, the hotel rooms was superb and more than we expected.

The tower is a lot newer than the main wing of the hotel. From what I observed (but please double check me on this) there are no ocean-view rooms on the wing section of the hotel. On the wing section, rooms are either facing the ocean or facing the parking lot/theme park located nearby (don’t take my word on this, but I’m fairly certain.) The tower, however, seems to have ocean view rooms and ocean front rooms. And the tower is a lot newer. There are 16 floors in the tower (we stayed on the 17th floor but that is because hotels do not have a 13th floor). Honestly, I am glad we had an ocean view and not ocean front view. Not only were we able to save money this way, we were able to have an amazing view of the boardwalk/Ocean Avenue while still being able to see the ocean. It was amazing.

The outdoor amenities are nice. There are two swimming pools, a hot tub, a lazy river, and water play area. The hot tub and 1 of the swimming pools were in front of the tower so I hung around this area more. The tower also had a fitness center on the bottom floor (right behind the pool). There seemed to be a good amount of patio furniture around the pool areas, but considering the size of the hotel (wing and tower included) I’m not sure if it would be enough for the summer crowds. There seemed not to be too many in the hotel when I was here in March so I did not get an accurate depiction. The outdoor amenities are kind of crammed together. They are all part of a very narrow patio stretch in-between the hotel and beach shore.

The location of the hotel is pretty good. It is probably around a ½ mile from the Ocean Avenue boardwalk, and it is right beside the Family Kingdom Water Park and Amusement Park. The hotel is more on the southern end of Myrtle Beach near the airport and Highway 501. It did not take us long to navigate to places (but consider that there was not the “summer crowd” while we were here). But I really liked the location overall. We liked traveling to places so we enjoyed cruising through Ocean Avenue back to the condo. (And the tower is gorgeous looking by the way). As far as location on the beach, it could be better. There is a river/channel of water between the Family Kingdom Water Park and the hotel tower that takes over much of the beach during high tide, so there is not much beach in front of the hotel when this happens (especially in front of the tower). But when it is low tide, the beach shore returns, however, there was always a “river” flowing beside the tower. It is kind of hard to explain. It did not come above my knee while crossing to the other side, but it was kind of annoying at times (especially when the water was SO cold in March).

Parking is interesting. Parking was free, however, it seemed like it was very limited. When we were there in March, one night we had to wait until somebody left before we could park. And every night when we came back, we had to really search for a spot. It does not seem like there was enough parking, especially when the summer crowds come around. So I would check on this issue prior to coming to this resort. I don’t know what the other parking options are if all spaces are full. The parking lot was very tight also. There is a covered parking area, but again, it is very tight.

Here are the things I think the resort could improve:

1) Beach access – It seemed like it was hard to get to the shore for this hotel. There was only two beach access points and they can be difficult to get to. There could easily be another 1 – 2 beach access points from the patios.
2) Overall Maintenance – There were huge cracks on the glass door entrance for the tower for our entire stay. I feel like this should have been taken care of or at least handled in a better manner. (This isn’t the most welcoming site to see while entering the tower). The elevator had some small, sharp support racks sticking out of it in some areas as well (when they had to take down broken picture frames when they were broken somehow – remember this was on spring break). Also, there were some minor things in the hallways and some outdoor dirtiness and such that I thought could have been better maintained, but I was observing all these things with a critical eye. It wasn't nothing too major besides the glass cracks in the tower door.
3) More friendly staff – Much of the staff was friendly, however, there were some occurrences in which the staff did not say anything when they were riding the elevator with guests of the hotel. I am studying this with a very critical eye, but I always think there should be some type of welcoming or friendly interaction when a staff member sees a guest. The timeshare salespeople and front desk associates always provided interaction but other members of the resort did not.

This hotel was great for service. There is not a daily housekeeping service. I think they come every 4 days or so. But you can request trash pickup and towel pickup/requests at any time and they will come to your room and do so. There were many times we stopped at the lobby to request more blankets, and they gave them to us on the spot very quickly. I was very impressed. And when I called guest services on the phone, they were always so friendly. I also liked how they did not care if people used the pool after its 10:00 pm closing time. Some hotels really enforce this, but they did not, and I really appreciated that!! 10:00pm just comes way to quickly!

I really enjoyed staying in an ocean-view room in the tower. The tower is newer, and I really liked the fact that you were “to yourself” in a sense. It was almost like you were entering an apartment in a sense that there was not lobby to have to go through (the lobby is in the wing). As soon as you enter the tower, you go into the elevator. Very quick and easy, and I liked it. Be careful of the different floor layouts. We had a room where there was a 1-bedroom ocean view with a connecting porch between the bedroom and living room. Some layouts, I believe, have a slightly different floor layout and do not affect the price of the room since both layouts are a 1-bedroom ocean view. I really liked our layout of the room. It seems more spacious that the other layout (the other layout has a “straight line” layout – kind of hard to explain). We were still able to see a lot of the ocean and Myrtle Beach surroundings and able to save money!

This was the second condo I stayed at within a year span at Myrtle Beach. The other condo I stayed at was Dayton House. There are cons and pros to each. Dayton House had more suitable outdoor accommodations and a better beachfront location while Westgate Resort had a much nicer condo room.

I hope this review was helpful to you, and I pray that you and/or your family or friends will have an enjoyable and safe stay in Myrtle Beach!

If there are any additional questions or explanations needed, please email me, and I will get back to you as soon as possible! My email is nolan5@vt.edu

God Bless!

4  Thank Nolan N

Thank you for your review of Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort. Comments and suggestions are always welcomed. We are certainly pleased that you had an enjoyable and safe stay at our resort. The property construction is currently stalled, but we have never stopped making improvements to the existing structures, service and activities. Additions such as boardwalk access, crosswalks, additional room amenities, activities, fitness center upgrades, furniture package improvements, bedding and much much more are always in the works. Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I spent a week here the first week in March. The accomodations were very clean and comfortable. The resort is directly on the boardwalk and the view from the balcony at night was beautiful. Of course the best thing about the location is the ocean which is directly in front of the resort. I was impressed by how quiet the room was. No noise at all except when the housekeeping staff was vaccuming in the hallway. Our room had 3 sliding glass doors which made the suite very bright and sunny.
Cathy and Lance

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cathy d

Thank you for calling Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort “very clean and comfortable!” We are very pleased that you were “impressed” with your stay. We work very hard to make sure that all of our guests are enjoying their stay so we appreciate your kind words. We do have a large variety of views at the property ranging from amusement park view, ocean view, or oceanfront as well as a variety of units ranging from traditional hotel rooms to four bedroom oceanfront condos. Thank you for choosing Westgate Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.