“Didn't expect it.....”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #133 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 1, 2011

This hotel was better than I expected. I read a lot of reviews on different websites to get an idea of what condition it was in ... most gave great reviews, but I'm always a bit sketchy when staying at new places. I didn't expect the Clairion Hotel to be as nice as it was. Upon entrance, we were greeted right away. My room was really clean and the beds were soooooo comfortable! There is about a 15-20 minute drive from the hotel to the beach or the hotel to Family Kingdom, but after being around crowds of people all day, you'll enjoy the QUIET! There is also a lounge. I didn't eat there, but the prices did look reasonable. I will stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: I found the best price on Clarion's website
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed June 28, 2011

Stayed for one night as a lay-over hotel... was driving into Myrtle Beach after midnight and just needed a place to sleep before checking in to our resort on Saturday. I booked because I am a Choice Priviliges member and it was an opportunity to earn points. When approaching the hotel, I was very skeptical. It is in a part of town that has had ups and downs. The once-popular outlet malls moved and the abandoned buildings are still out front of the hotel. After the outlet malls, a theme park moved in next door and promptly went bankrupt. Needless to say, the hotel is just kinda 'there' on the Intracoastal Waterway with no real purpose surrounding it.

I arrived at the hotel at 1:30am and walked into a BEAUTIFUL lobby. If anything in this hotel has been upgraded/changed, this is definitely it! The desk member on duty followed me inside from her cigarette break and was one of the nicest employees I have ever encountered at a stay. She recognized me as a Choice Priviliges member (which has never been done before) with complimentary cookies and beverages as well as a late check-out, which was GREAT! I had reserved a standard view king room, but was given a double by accident. She changed my reservation without issue, and upgraded me to what seemed to be a King suite with an amazing view of the waterway and pool area. While the furniture in the room was a little outdated, the overall cleanliness was great, and the bedding/accomodations were wonderful.

Complaints: outdated hallways that smelled of mildew and location.
Positives: amazing staff and a great nights sleep!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2011

All the things you need in a hotel and at a nice price. Close enough to the beach and all the action without being in the middle of everything. Wish they had a continental breakfast but for the price I can deal without. I would definitely recommend and would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jenn0877
Reviewed April 13, 2011

This hotel is beautiful. It has a great indoor pool and out door pool. It was too early in the season for the outdoor pool but I am looking forward to going back and trying it out as well. It is in a great location (try putting in HardRock Blvd instead of Fantasy Harbour Blvd for GPS). They have changed the name of the road several times and I had to actually just look at a map and put in George Bishop Parkway in the GPS in order to find it. It is right on the river and close to everything. Just a few miles from the beach and just a few miles to Broadway on the Beach..so it was in the middle of everything. I loved it. The people were wonderful too, and very nice. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for top floor great view
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2010

I stayed at this hotel twice in July for a couple of 'last minute' vacations. Because I was so tardy in trying to find accommodation, this was one of the few things available. The rooms themselves are okay, they were bright and clean although they had not yet received their 'relaunch' upgrades.

During both of my stays, I was checked in by 'Karolina' who unfortunately seemed to either be in training or else extremely unenthused with her job. Despite a line almost to the door of people wanting to check in, she was awfully slow to the point of incompetence, and severely lacked personality. If my partner and I had received just a friendly smile and greeting upon check in, it would have made the experience far better! On both stays- I experienced the same nonchalance with her.

Jerry however, the manager on duty the 2nd day of my later stay, was extremely professional, helpful, considerate and accommodating. He went above and beyond to meet our needs and should be commended for his fantastic customer service skills.

One of the pitfalls of the hotel is obviously the location- it is a bit tricky to get to off Highway 17, and in the immediate surrounds there are a lot of seedy or closed down businesses, including the ill fated former Hard Rock Theme Park. I definitely wouldn't reccommend this location for a family vacation.

Overall, it is *okay* if there are no other options- the rooms are clean and fresh smelling, but it is an older property, the customer service is hit or miss depending on the employee you deal with, and the location leaves much to be desired.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2010

My mother, sister and I traveled from Utah to SC to attend a sister's funeral. One of the extended family members works at this hotel and recommended we stay here. The staff at the hotel could not have been more kind! Thanks to the Manager, Jerry, our rooms were discounted (a number of extended family members stayed there as well), they graciously served us a delicious buffet of finger foods and salads at no charge in a donated conference room, so we could gather as a family group the night before the funeral. While the rooms (including bathrooms) need refurbishing, the beds were comfortable, towels softer than most, the hotel quiet and the views great out our window. We felt we have never had better service at any hotel anywhere. That says a lot considering I travel frequently with my husband.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank RobinPleasantGrove
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We chose to stay at a Holiday Inn property because we usually do when vacationing. However, this stay was a mistake! From the looks of the outside and the main lobby, one would never suspect anything would be different once arriving to your room--wrong! When walking down the hall to my room I began to notice how outdated everything was; from the carpet, some areas pieced together, to the electrical outlets being "moldy" looking and loose from the walls. Then to the room.......the bathroom was awful, mold around the top of the wall, on the ceiling and even on the fabric shower curtain. It appeared that there had been a leak in a bathroom above us because there was a large waterspot on the ceiling above the bathtub and the texture was falling off of the ceiling. There was hair in the bathtub (luckily I brought Clorox wipes to clean it before allowing my child to take a bath), the non-slip surface in the bottom of the tub was dingy and no longer "non-slip"-I had to grab the handrail while showering to keep from falling-and the doorknob was falling off of the bathroom door. The room itself was ok at first glance, but I pay attention to every detail. There were debris of some sort all over the floor in front of the air conditioner and the ceiling above that area also appeared to be molded. The lamp shades haven't seen a duster/cleaning in who knows how long. The pillows felt like old, cheap poly-filled pillows that had been washed and all the filling lumped up. The only positive during this stay was the location of the property and when we requested extra towels we got them. Otherwise, the worst stay at a Holiday Inn property! However, this may not be a Holiday Inn property much longer....the redesign projects are supposed to be completed by December 2010 and as much work as this one needs it may not make it!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family