“Excellent resort for families!”

Dunes Village Resort
Ranked #9 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 17, 2010

This was our 5th trip to Myrtle Beach and this was the best resort by far. It is at the North end of Myrtle Beach so it is far away from the hotel crowd but still only minutes from Broadway at the Beach. The staff was friendly and helpful. The indoor water park was awesome especially on days when it rained. We stayed in an oceanfront suite which had a washer/dryer and a separate bedroom. I loved having 2 TVs with 2 DVD players. I also enjoyed free wireless internet. We never tried the restaurants because we stocked our kitchen for breakfast and lunch. The parking lot was across the street but we didn't have a problem with that. Here are my only issues: The temperature was difficult to control (too cold). The beds were quite uncomfortable. The bedroom was a tight fit. It was much more expensive than most hotels but still worth the money.

1  Thank adamico
Write a ReviewReviews (6,133)

Reviewed July 14, 2010

We stayed here for Christmas of 2009. Had an amazing time. The two indoor water parks were a big plus. It was decorated lovely for Christmas.

The rooms are wonderful. Having a full sized kitchen was great- we saved a lot of money instead of eating out.

I wish that the corridors to the rooms were enclosed. There are two towers- I don't know if they are both the same, but our corridor/hallway was open-air. This made for some cold trips to the room after enjoying the water parks.

We had a beautiful ocean view room. Couldn't have asked for more.

Check out took a long time. That was slightly annoying.

On days where there were lots of folks in the pool/lazy river, I felt that there was little monitoring. A few times teenagers were playing a bit rough and there was never anyone to stop them.

We got an amazing deal by staying in the winter- I think we paid around $65/night. I was floored when saw summertime prices above $300!!! We cannot afford that so I recommend going in the fall or winter if possible. Myrtle Beach is more fun then anyways! Less people and in the fall the weather is still warm but not unbearable.

Dunes Village is certainly amazing and worth your consideration!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank gabesmomilm
Reviewed July 11, 2010

With such a high score on trip advisor, our expextations were pretty high.

The majority of our stay was good, the kid's had fun in the pool and indoor water park.

The location is very good for families far from the "action area". Outdoor pool was nice in the 5300 building but better in the 5200 building since it also had an outdoor lazy river.

Room was nice and comfortable but very noisy when neighbors opened and closed their doors. Parking is across the street, it's a pretty busy street at times.

Did not like the fact that we could not setup a beach umbrella in front of the rental unmbrellas. Only in back of the rental beach umbrellas. This is probably a city rule to generate more rental revenue. Don't think that is has anything to do with the hotel.

The day before we were checking out I discovered cockroach on the kitchen floor. I really did not expect this from a $300+ hotel. I called to the front desk (around 10AM) and asked them to get the room checked. They were very nonchalant about it, they asked me, was it the "one inch type". About one hour later, at 11am went down to rent a cabana the asst guest services manager happened to be at the counter. I explained to him what I had found on the kitchen floor, he said they would send someone (from an external company). Again he did not feel alarmed by my discovery. I told him that I left the cockroach I killed on top of the cooling unit. When we returned from at 5:30pm still nobody came to check. At that point we did not call back, we were checking out the next morning.

Most of the few negative posts I see on Trip Advisor (and replies from hotel management) have a point in common. The defense from the hotel is they were not aware of the situation, they could not make it better under those circumstances. In my case I called once and went to the front desk another time (spoke to asst. Manager and not a front desk clerk). Still nobody paid attention to the situation, both times felt like they were not very concerned and it was a normal find.

Reviewed July 11, 2010

Dunes Village is the best hotel in Myrtle Beach. I love the option of having separate bedrooms and multiple bathrooms. I love being able to cook my own meals if I want to. I love the pools, the beach is clean, the hotel is quiet. There is something for everyone. The parking garage is nice. I feel very safe at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ARMYG8R
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I reviewed many options for our stay in Myrtle Beach this year. Dunes Village Ressort was definitely the right choice. My 4 children are now young adults (18 - 23 yrs old) and we all loved the views, spacious condo, cleanliness, inside and outside pools, proximity to the beach. They even enjoyed the water parks. The south side of the tower gave us gorgeous views of the beach, overlooking the gorgeous residential community. The beach was never crowded, especially on the south side. For a hotel with over 2000 guests on July 4th week, we never felt crowded, inside or out. there were abundant beach chairs and there was abundant space for a sence of privacy even at the pools. We also loved the central location where we could head uptown or downtown for various activities or restaurants. There was never much traffic on Ocean Dr. since the hotel is in a mostly residential area. I even didn't mind the garage across the street. The walk was shorter than the distance we typically walk in a grocery store or mall parking lot. The garage key only access gave me reassurance that the car and items like golf clubs would be relatively safe and in the shade. My only comment would be to ask the owners of the condo to provide a broom or small vaccuum to allow us to clean up sand on the floor since the housekeeping clean up never lasted very long with our active kids coming and going so much. We loved this place!!!

1  Thank george6k91
Reviewed July 8, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Dunes Village Resort, Palmetto tower, June 12th-14th. Our stay was great! The staff was very helpful. We ate lunch in the Admiral's Dining room. The crabcakes were great! Some of the best I've ever had! This is a very family oriented resort. But even as a young couple with no kids found it very relaxing. We even went on the waterslides! They have hammocks that great for hanging out on at night. And plenty of lounge chairs for tanning during the day. The only thing is the way overpriced drinks at the bars. I know, it's a resort and drinks are gonna be pricey, but you are spending alot on the room so some things should be a little cheaper. The best thing about Dunes Village Resort, I beleive, is the veiw. I always have loved a beautiful sunset and this was the perfect place for one! Even with the parking deck across the street, parking wasn't that bad. They even have a guy riding around on a golf cart picking people up and taking them to the elevators and such. One thing I can complain about is how hot the hallways are! The have shades up but its an outside walkway so no ac. But that wasn't a huge problem. If it was that hot inside our room, it would be a different story! One night we cooked a whole meal in the room. Yes, we had all the utensils to make crab legs and shrimp scampi! It was great and saved a ton of money! Our whole trip was great and we will definetly come back and recommend this resort to anyone!

Reviewed July 7, 2010

this hotel was very clean. i loved the rooms you got a kitchen 2 sinks 2 beds 2 tv and a soafa with a ocean front view. it was worth the money i spent. the hotel had a indoor waterpark with 2 adult slides so i even had fun off the beach. it was in a residencial area so it was in a quiet area away from the crazy boardwalk downtown. the hotel had 2 lazy rivers and alot of pools and hot tubs. the only complaint i have is the towls. at the pool and in the rooms the towls felt like sandpaper. bring your own towels if you stay here this place was the perfect hotle and i can not waite to go back with my own towles

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family