“EXCELLENT PLACE TO STAY AT THE BEACH..WILL GO AGAIN!!!”

Dunes Village Resort
Ranked #8 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Pennsylvania
“EXCELLENT PLACE TO STAY AT THE BEACH..WILL GO AGAIN!!!”
Reviewed May 14, 2009

I cant say enough about this resort!!! My husband, our 8 yr old son & myself decided to spend a day at the beach after going to the Nascar race in Darlington, SC...WOW, did we make a great choice!!! This hotel is very convenient as far as location..definately not near all the crazy, busy, wild nightlife that you can see around Myrtle..perfect for families!! We stayed in the Palmetto Tower, oceanfront deluxe queen suite, 14th floor...WOW were we impressed. The room was very clean and neat...TONS of room...we had a full bedroom w/2queen beds, full kitchen complete w/full refridgerator/freezer, stove, microwave, dishwasher, granite countertops...nice eating area, livingroom with balcony that had a full oceanfront view. We were IN LOVE!! The livingroom also had a sleeper sofa and a murphy bed so plenty of room. Our bathroom had a jacuzzi tub, which the kids loved. The hallway between the bedroom and the kitchen/livingroom had a very large pantry closet and a closet with a stack washer/dryer. You couldnt ask for more!!! Our floor seemed to have alot of people staying on it but you would never know b/c it was very quiet. We LOVE the waterparks at both buildings...both are easy to access along w/both outdoor pools and lazy rivers!! The water is pretty warm in all pools, so no problem there. We had easy access to the beach, which was beautiful. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We were on the very top floor, 14th, but no problems waiting for elevators AT ALL!! I would reccommend this time of year to go b/c it wasnt very busy at all. We were only there one night, Sun to Mon and it wasnt crazy, busy. I cant complain about housekeeping b/c we only stayed the one night but our room was very clean when we arrived so no problems there!! We asked one of the women at the front desk to reccommend a good seafood place...she said to get really good seafood they go about 30min north to NC BUT would locally reccommend Carolina Roadhouse. We enjoyed it very much. It was a beautiful restaurant, reasonable to a family to eat w/children, and my husband couldnt quit raving about the shrimp...he only wished he had more!!! I definately recommend trying a plate of their croissants...DELICIOUS!! The parking garage across the street really wasnt that big of a deal to us. You really dont need to go out anywhere unless you want to sight see!! The resort has tons of activies, not only beach and pools but games, etc...also has restaurants..we did go out and it really wasnt a huge deal. I also did notice a security guard walking all thru the garage, which made us feel even better!!! They do have lots of handicapp parking and an area to park in front of the resort for unloading/loading...so not that big of a deal!! Our trip overall was wonderful and we will definately go back again!!!! They run really great specials directly on their website so you can get really good prices too!!! I DEFINATELY reccommend this hotel for anyone w/children...even if its raining and you cant go to the beach, there is TONS of stuff to do even for the toddler size.

1 Thank oaklanefarmmom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,396)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
hendersonville, United States
Reviewed May 14, 2009

We have just returned from our yearly vacation to Myrtle Beach. It was great and the Dunes was a big part of that. This was our 3rd stay there and we love it. We have no children with us and it still is just what we want. The customer service lady wanted to know if we would be interested in a more adult hotel that was opening soon and we said no. The Dunes is just what we like. The cleanliness,attitude of the host , beach access and the whole all around package is great. We will go back lots. debbie

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
northeast
Reviewed May 12, 2009

Good:
Reasonably priced accomodations and food
Pools - many with different themes including many for kids
Elevators - many and quick
Staff - all over the place, watchful of people and arrangements
Age- very new
Location - away from unsafe nightlife, clustered with a couple of other condo buildings which is fairly isolated on the strech of beach.
Kids - this must be one of the best kid friends places, kids love this place
Internet: available in room and wifi at the cafe area. ask for a ethernet cord for the room.
Activities: arranged weekly, mostly thursday to saturday

Bad:
Housekeeping - they didn't show up in my case, wasn't a problem and I am sure if I called they would be there.
Parking lot - across the street
Condo - this hotel is actually a condo timeshare, its not a 'hotel' per se.

fyi:
I got a king size ocean view room for an average of $90 per day including buffet breakfast.
Resort was busy during weekend, very empty on monday and tuesday.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 11, 2009

We took advantage of an off-peak rate promotion and got a three bedroom ocean angle suite for about $40/night per couple (my wife and daughter, plus another couple and their daughter). The rooms were clean and very nicely decorated. They didn't have that cheesy beach look, but were modern and things actually matched. The kichenette and large dining table were a big plus, as was having separate rooms. There were flat screen tv's in each bedroom and in the living room, the two balconies were nice, as was having Internet access. The kitchenette was decent. The best part was the convenience to the beach and all of the on-site amenities (fitness room, cafe, restaurant, indoor water parks, heated swiming pools, billiards, table tennis, etc.).

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank spirona
USA
Reviewed May 11, 2009

What a fantastic place.. The housekeeping, the food, the amenities, etc.. All were top notch.. I would not stay anywhere else in Myrtle Beach anymore. Also, its on the North End, which is about 3 miles from all the debauchery from all the clubs and bars, so if you have young children, you dont have to worry about any of that.

Charlotte
Reviewed May 10, 2009

We just got back from a fantastic week at Dunes Village with our four and two year olds, my husband and I and my parents. This place has ruined anywhere else for us! We had a two bedroom, two bathroom condo in the Palmetto building. It was clean and very nice. I can't say enough about housekeeping! We had a stacked washer and dryer in our unit, so I would have expected that we had to wash our own towels...Not so! Each morning, housekeeping came by and took a large pile of dirty towels from our room and provided us with many more than we needed! They also made the beds and changed the sheets. My mom even called the manager once to compliment the housekeeping staff. Speaking of towels, there were towels at each pool inside and out, which was great! We never lugged around beach towels. We went from the indoor pools to the outdoor pools, used towels, threw them in the bin and got clean ones. They must wash towels 24/7. It was a great amenity for us! There are two buildings, the Palmetto and the Palm. I don't think it would matter which you stayed in. There is a restaurant in both and the food was really very good. My mom ate the shrimp dinner four nights in a row, she liked it so much. We didn't feel like going out to dinner much, so it was nice having the restaurant onsite. We called and placed our order and went down and picked it up in 10 minutes. We tried a variety of things on the menu and all were good. My husband and I had the buffet breakfast once and it was really good, too.
The nicest thing about this resort is the indoor pools/waterparks. There is one in each building, and we used both. We had great weather, but we didn't have to worry about it, because if it rained, no big deal. The kids had plenty to do. Also, all of the inside water activities were heated! That's a big deal to me, because I'm a sissy:) The outside pool and lazy river at the Palm building were heated as well. All in all, it was a wonderful trip and I have no complaints, except that we had to come home. We are already planning another trip! You can book as many nights as you like, which is nice if you want to just run down for a long weekend, which we are fortunate to be able to do from Charlotte. I definately recommend this resort if you have children. Everyone will have a blast!

1 Thank timandjenbell
B'ville, NY
Reviewed May 4, 2009

I went to Dunes with my three boys ages 10, 12 and 14 and all three said they would go back in a minute! We met another family there, so the younger boys had a friend to hang out with, but even still, the 14 year old had a great time. We had a nice room with a King bed, a pullout and since the boys will NOT share a bed, we brought an air matt for one. My husband was unable to go due to work. We flet like we were on a cruise ship while there. The kids had their own keys to get in and out of the room (I wish I had lanyards for them to keep track of them better) and I felt very comfortable letting them go to the water parks on their own. The slides were open from 9 AM-11 PM, so they had plenty of time to enjoy that area. They really liked Al the singing lifeguard!
We packed breakfast foods and lunch foods and the kids made their own meals at that time. The kitchenette was great to have. At night we would check out the local restaurants and there are so many to choose from.
The parking gargae was a plus, and not at all inconvenient as i have read in some posts. I drove a Suburban and I was able to get around that garage without any trouble. I also backed into my parking sites 90% of the time.
Housekeeping was great, but we are pretty low maintenance people. One day I told her just give us fresh towels and take the trash as the kids were in and out so much, she didn't have a chance to get in there.
We were there for 5 nights and the kids played volleyball on the beach, and the adults just hung out in the lucky for us warm sunny days. (mid April) The ocean water was way too cold for most, but my 10 year old was right out in it. He was the only one. The water slide water is very warm.
I would definitely reccomend bringing your own beach towels--they do provide some poolside, but they are small. I brought my own beach chair also. There are rentals available. A couple of the days there was live music poolside and that was cool.
We had a great time and I would reccomend it to anyone with kids of any age.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family