“Great Family Resort”

Dunes Village Resort
Ranked #9 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

I will start with the few suggestions I have for this place before writing about all the things I loved . The biggest suggestion I have is the glass top tables in the rooms , not very kid friendly or kid safe. And the house keeping wasn't always the greatest , we found old Chinese take out bags in one of the cabinets while unpacking , and our room only got cleaned three times in 6 nights because she kept coming during nap time and the never came back. Also one morning while walking my kids thru the hotel to the beach we walked past the restaurant and a manager was having a meeting in it and was giving a stern talking to about not letting people into the resort without wrist bands. Glad they are staying on top of it, just not sure guest should have to walk by a meeting like that while it's happening . But all in all this is a great family resort !! My twin 2 year olds LOVED the pool, beach, and playground. The staff was friendly and helpful and the room (besides the glass top tables ) was set up great for a family of 4. I wasn't a fan of the time share sales pitch in the lobby , but more and more resorts have these. It's a great resort, nothing that bad to say.

Stayed: April 2014
Cari G, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your Dunes Village Resort experience. We are glad your family had such an enjoyable visit. We are very family-friendly, with plenty to do throughout the day. With our year-round planned activities and our 30,000 square feet of water park fun, it is hard to get bored.

We look forward to another visit with you soon. THanks again for the review.

There are newer reviews for Dunes Village Resort

Reviewed May 5, 2014

I was able to stay at this hotel for just $59 so a very good value for what I received! I did get in late and there was NO ONE around so I had to make a phone call to get someone to come up to the front desk (a little odd). When he did show up, I could tell he was embarrassed because he was not there so he was overly friendly to me and even offered to upgrade my room to a queen suite from a studio. The room itself was quite nice. Tasteful decor for sure even tho the outside of the hotel was not the most glamorous. Beautiful ocean view with a nice balcony. I did not get to enjoy the inddor waterpark but it looked VERY NICE. If you have kids this could be the hotel of choice! Looked quite impressive compared to other hotel waterparks!! I did call the front desk on the morning of my departure to see if I could extend my stay but the price the lady quoted me at for a studio was DOUBLE what I had just paid and if I wanted the queen it was TRIPLE. I did leave and stay at another hotel to preserve funds. Other than the debacle at the checkin it was a great stay. I would recommend this hotel if you have kids. If you do not have kids there are other hotels in town that you can stay at for this price that are a bit nicer so maybe you would want to look around. Im a hotel snob and I usually do not give good reviews on hotels that are not "luxurious feeling". This is an exception.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

We are pleased to hear that we are the exception to your self professed "hotel snob"ery. Dunes Village Resort tries very hard to please our guests, and while we may not be the most luxorious resort, we are definitely the most family-friendly and we have the best staff in Myrtle Beach to take care of your needs.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and thank you for seeing us for what we are, while still appreciating what we have. We hope to see you again sometime soon.

Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

Always a great place to stay w the family. Clean clean clean resort excellent staff and amenities! ! Kids loved the indoor pools and slides. Room was excellent well kept and very clean. Look forward to our next trip here.

• Stayed: May 2014

We really appreciatae the nice things you had to say about Dunes Village Resort. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed yourselves, and we appreciate your mentioning how clean everything is. We try hard to keep the resort looking nice for our guests. We offer a lot of fun, and look forward to seeing you back for some more memory making very soon. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

We have always come back
Slog holy overpriced but can't complain got it via Priceline -;)

Very clean rooms
Friendly staff
Good parking

Good bar and good cocktails but you could use more Draft beer options

Starbucks close to the real thing -;)

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review of Dunes Village Resort. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed so much of what we have to offer. We take pride in our property, doing our best to keep it clean and fresh for our guests. Thanks for noticing.

We would love to see you again. We hope you can make it back here agin soon for some more fun and family memories. See you then!

Reviewed May 3, 2014

We booked directly through the hotel. DVR was having a special for spring; We got a really good deal. The room was beautiful! it was a two bedroom ocean view nice kitchen, ceiling fans in two of the rooms, It had a washer/dryer in the unit which was very convenient. My daughter was so afraid to try the water slides; but by day two we couldn't get her to go anywhere else. the pool outside was heated and very enjoyable. I will definitely return to this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your wonderful 5 star review of Dunes Village Rsort. We are so glad to hear that your daughter warmed up and was comfortable sliding on the slide. It usually does not take too long, and they are off and running to the next fun thing!

We really appreciate all the kind things you had to share, and look forward to another visit very soon. See you then!

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Yesterday, we just returned from a trip to Myrtle Beach (SC). We stayed at Dunes Village Resort. We had a beachfront room. It was all good. First we were greeted by a friendly staff member Derek. Then we went to our room which was actually much larger than we expected. It is PERFECT for a young family with 2 kids: 2 good sized beds, a kitchenette, even 2 TVs and DVD players so the kids could watch what they want and I could watch NBA playoffs (sorry wifie no 3rd TV for you :o). The indoor waterpark(s) are fantastic. Our kids, 5 and 7, had a great time. But even I had a great time and other dads too on the water slides. The other games like pool, shuffleboard, Nintendo Wii were great to have too. We also enjoyed the buffet breakfast. Big shout out to Chef Jr who was preparing the fresh hand-made omelettes every day. The omelettes were great and he was a good guy too. Really, the entire staff was amazing. Sheila also was great at the front desk and helped us get our luggage from United (which had temporarily lost our bag.) Everybody was friendly and helpful and provided whatever we reasonably needed. It really made for a great vacation!!!

The only thing to slightly be aware of is that the accommodations are not lavish at all, really a little dated and in some cases needing some minor repair (We stayed in room 245). But given all of the other positives this wasn't a deal breaker for us at all.

I have only been back home a day and have already recommended this hotel to a friend who also has younger kids. Next time we are in Myrtle Beach, there is no question where we will be staying. I highly recommend Dunes Village Resort for families looking for a great time, great service and a great value!

1  Thank CDOSRUN

We are so happy to hear that you had such a wonderful visit with us here at Dunes Village Resort. We are grateful that you are already sharing your experience with others. Your 5 star review is wonderful, and greatly appreciated. We look forward to many more visits with you and your family. Thank you for sharing your 5 star review.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

We booked our time at DVR online via their site for a quick surprise get-away with the kids. The site worked well, and although it is a bit clumsy compared to other travel and resort sites we have used, it worked. We chose DVR because local friends said it was their favorite place to stay in MB. After our visit, I am seriously questioning our friend's taste! Check-in was okay, except that there was no where near enough parking near the lobby. If there isn't enough parking for check-in on a Tuesday evening in May (not prime season) I would hate to think what it is like on a Saturday during prime season. The desk clerk was nice, though because there was only one clerk on duty check-in took almost 30 minutes. That is the end of the positives. The room was in terrible condition - plaster falling off walls, carpet ripped up at corners, scratched and broken furniture, 2 of 3 phones broken, dirty refrigerator, and the master bathtub was dirty with what looked like shoe prints. The 3 times we went to the Palm tower lobby to talk about it there was no one to be found at the front desk, and we eventually gave up. The beds were painfully hard and uncomfortable. On our first morning there some type of maintenance work started at 9am with banging/hammering. It sounded like it was on the floor above us - PH level. This is way too early to start pound maintenance work at a resort. Many people area still in bed at 9am on vacation. The indoor pool water play areas were okay - but don't be fooled into thinking this is a water park. There are many hot tubs and a few 3ft deep pools,a lazy rive, plus a couple slides and splash pads at each tower park. The condition was ok, but not great. There were roaches in the watermark area - the staff just squished the ones they saw and didn't even pick them up. The outdoor pools seemed a bit nicer and the water there was warmer than in the indoor pools - which is strange since it was early May and had poured rain the 2 days before we used the outdoor pools. The hostess and waitress at the Admiral's Room restaurant were inappropriately talkative and kept hanging out at our table commenting on our family discussion. When we started ignoring their comments they became louder and repeated their comments until we acknowledged them. The food was typical hotel buffet, with make-your-own waffles and an omelet station. The quality and amount of food offered was good. The hotel service staff were regularly in the main elevators with bins of dirty linens, making wait times for the elevators long considering how empty the hotel was. On our last day, prior to our check-out at the 11am appointed check-out hour, the housekeeping staff, without even knocking, entered our unit while my wife was in the middle of getting dressed and then, instead of immediately turning around and leaving, tried to have a conversation about why people aren't usually in their room at that time. Upon checkout we were asked about how our stay was and replied "Okay, not great" and the clerk responded with "That's good!" Since the standard for guest services is clearly okay, not great, we will not be returning to this resort. We were overall disappointed in our experience at Dunes Village Resort.

Room Tip: If you decide you must stay here, we would suggest higher rooms in the south side of the Palm tower...
3  Thank FootballTurtle5
Cari G, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent Dunes Village Resort vacation. I am sorry that it was not the perfect vacation for you. The experience you described is not your typical experience, as you can see from so many other fantastic reviews we have received.

"Ok, not great" is not the feeling we want when our guests leave us. We want to hear that it was great, fantastic, the best vacation ever! I am surprised at the desk agent not delving deeper into your concerns at check-out, and this area has already been addressed. Additionally, we have also spoken with both the housekeeping team and the food & beverage team about the concerns you mentioned.

I apologize that this was the experience you had, and would love another opportunity to show you the Dunes Village Resort you had heard so much about. If you get an opportunity, and would like to do so, please call me so we can discuss this further. I can be reached at the resort most days.

Cari Garvey