Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
OldBridgeNJ
Old Bridge, New Jersey

Great family resort!

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Aug 31, 2008
A great family resort in Myrtle Beach!

I stayed on the last week of August, 2008 and obtained an end of summer special via the Dunes website. The stay was for a 2 br condo with an angled ocean view of the beach. The condo was a spacious 2 br, one master br with a king size bed, the other bedroom had 2 queens size beds. Both br had full baths, the master with a whirlpool tub. The condo had a nice kitchen with granite sit down tops with dishwasher, fridge, and a washer and dryers. The kitchen was equipped with dishes, pots, pans, microwave and utensils .

The living room/dining room was spacious and the living room couch had a pull out bed as well. The condo had an balcony angle view of the ocean. To understand angle view of the ocean is a not a direct view. The resort is built so that all condos have some sort of ocean view, some direct some angled. The next time I would upgrade to a direct view of the ocean.

The resort is off the main drag of Myrtle beach with about 1 mile of residential houses to your south. To the North are a few condos prior to more residential house. This is a positive since the it provides less congestion at the beach and a greater sense of privacy.

The resort is split between two condo buildings the Dunes and Palmetto Towers. My family stayed at the Dunes. At the ground level of each tower were both outside/inside water attractions/pools. From the indoor lazy river, slides, water buckets, multiple hot/warm whirlpool tubes and indoor pool multiple outdoor pools and an outdoor smaller lazy river. All the above provided an alternative to the beach and the indoor features provided an recreation on a raining day and at nights until 11 PM. Also provide were two pool tables/ping pong tables. The water attractions (lazy river, water buckets) are geared to kids (not teens), but your don't tell those who are young at heart as whole families (young and old) were having fun.

The facility is relatively modern and clean and I give it four star rating. I was very concerned since the only recommendation I had was from TripAdvisor review(s) and was concerned of going to a dated facility. The condo/resort exceeded my expectations. It is not a five star hotel/resort there is no fine dining or water sports on site (jet skies, etc) but a great resort with direct ocean access.

If have a family and are looking for a great place at Myrtle Beach this is it. Please remember you will see families with kids if you are single, honeymooners, or looking for a romantic get away this may not be your choice (unless you like kids!).
Trip type: Traveled with family
    $72
4.6 miles from Dunes Village Resort
View more hotels in Myrtle Beach
9,609 results
All reviews indoor waterpark water park captains cafe palmetto tower ping pong lazy river across the street kids activities ocean front family vacation beach access parking garage washer and dryer full kitchen off season mini golf great vacation
Selected filters
Reviewed August 29, 2008

We travel a fair bit, believe in value and don't need bells and whistles when it comes to where we stay but ...we do insist that our room be clean. That's a must!! We booked this resort primarily since it was less then a year old so "assumed" it had to be.

We drove from Toronto to Myrtle Beach, and considering the 17 hour drive, it wasn't so bad. Our two girls (10 and 4) kept occupied with movies.

We had to pay for our 10 day visit in advance so we hoped what we signed up for and expected is what we'd be getting...

As other reviews indicate, parking is an issue. Especially when you have alot to unload. We knew this however, so it wasn't a surprise. Upon check in, the resort lobby seemed really nice. We were happy that our suite had a kitchen so we could go out occasionally, but to keep costs contained we'd eat in. Our room was in the newest tower (7 mths old we were told) on the 2nd floor with a full ocean view. As my husband put it "it's a million dollar view". The water was warm and shallow enough for my youngest and my oldest really enjoyed boogie boarding.

The room was ok...first impression didn't garner a "wow" from even my girls but an "ok". I noticed that there wasn't any bed skirt and found it odd that the sheets were blue. I always thought that bleach was used to ensure that they were clean...? The sheets kept slipping off as you turned in your sleep which became an annoyance.

The bathroom tiles/tub didn't have that shiny appearance in the bathroom that I would normally expect. The shower curtain had some toothpaste from a previous guest that was troublesome. There was also a tissue left on the floor behind the sink from the previous guest. Not a big deal but we came to find out during our stay that it was an indication that attention to detail wasn't there. The ceramic floor tiles had this weird grimy feel when you walked barefoot or with shoes.

When I asked the front desk, the fellow there advised that "to be honest, alot of people complain about the housekeeping". He wrote them a note. The next day the floor wasn't an improvement. Nor was the next day, or the next....

So, we went to Target and got cleaning supplies. I figured I'd do it myself if I wanted it clean. Eventually after day 4, we just put a 'do not disturb' sign outside our door and left garbage in the hallway, as the housekeeping staff made the floor worse. Not sure what mop/broom they were using...?

After a few days, we found out on the fridge that each unit is a timeshare and that housekeeping would only include 1) making beds daily, 2) clearing garbage and 3) refresh towels. At no time did we know this upfront -- Not through reviews or when we made the booking (thru the hotel directly via phone).

Maintenance of the pool/waterpark was not up to our standards either. Although the kids had fun...not only mine but the many that were there, the paint was missing from the kiddie area and the waterpool had hair and skin (ugh!) floating on the bubbles.

One day we visited Guest Relations who had a bunch of different pamplets showcasing things to do in the area. "Guest Relations" was a mask for sales people that tried to convince us that we should take a 2-HOUR tour of the facilities and by doing so, we could save on all the best attractions Myrtle Beach could offer with their vouchers.

My question to this resort is why not invest in maintenance/housekeeping?! Based on the above I have a terrific sense of what it has to offer and I certainly do not need to have a sales person tell/show me. Not only will I NEVER go back to this resort, I would certainly not consider investing in it either!

Reviewed August 29, 2008

My family and I stayed at Dunes Village Aug. 17-24th, and we truely enjoyed ourselves. The rooms are spacious and very modern. Our building was brand new so our 1 bedroom suite was very clean. This was our 2nd year staying at Dunes Village and it was better than the 1st.
The pools are huge indoor water parks are fun for the whole family.
The best location I have stayed in MB in the last 25 years I have been vacationing there. Loved the hotel and your family will too..

1  Thank hack54621
Reviewed August 26, 2008

I don't care about any bad reviews that you read. This place is GREAT!!!!!. The kids absolutely loved it. The parking across the street is only a problem for lazy people. Our room was perfect. Clean, new furnishings, and all the amentities you need. We are already planning our trip for next year. We loved it so much were going to stay an extra week. Don't be fooled by any bad reviews. This place rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank jkbk24
Reviewed August 25, 2008

We just returned from the Dunes Village and I am writing this review after much thought about our stay. We had a four bedroom ocean front room on the 4th floor in the Plams building.

We traveled with 2 adults and 4 teenagers ages15 to 17. While we were not totaly disapointed with our stay we would have to rate the Dunes Village at the bottom of the 3 properties we have stayed at while in Mrytle Beach. Here is my review with some observations on others complaints;

1) Parking garage; Yes, it is about 25 yards from the plams building. Yes you fo have to cross a four lane road. With that agreed to the problems end. The road was never that busy that I felt it unsafe to cross. They do have shutles running all the time. You can pull up to either building to unload your party, supplies or pick up. I even saw people using the public parking between the buildings to pick up and drop off. The gararge was nice and big with plenty of parking but it is a garage and you have to go slow and use caution. The parking was as good as the other properties we stayed at and better than one, as that hotel had bad parking and no drop off area.

2) Check in. It was bad and crowded. But what to you expect if you arrive at 3:00 with everyone else. There were too many cars and larger SUV's trying to move around a tight area, drop off people and suitcases and all sorts of items. I have seen this at all beach front properties and it is something you have to deal with. Also the same can be said about having your room ready at 3:00. That seldom if ever happens at any hotel that handles this many people. We checked in and sent the kids to the beach. we then re-checked shortly thereafter and the room was ready right at 3:00.

3) Rooms. Our unit was a nice size but had a small kitchen area. It was badly stocked (no pot holders, dish towels and we had to always call everyday to get soap for the dishwasher). The hallway had several holes in the wall, one of the plugs in the bedrooms did not work, the towel rack and toliet paperholder were both pulling away from the wall and several lamps did not have light bulbs. All these were taken care of quickly when we called on them. But for the money these rooms were showing heavy abuse and little effort to keep them up to speed. The beds and furniture were okay. It had a nice large balcony and a nice pantry with washer and dryer. The bathrooms were well stocked with towels and shampoo and the like but the quality of these items were of average (Choice Hotels) quality.

4) Cleaning. The rooms were very dirty when we checked in. We found crumbs in the bedrooms, a wine bottle under one of the nightstands and childrens underwear and an used panty shield under a dresser. The carpet and kitchen area had a bad smell that we could not get rid off and started to give my wife and son headaches toward the end of our stay. While it would be nice for a hotel to take care of this we as quests must do our part to treat these units with respect so that next party does not have to deal with others bad behavior and down right disrespect. Durning our stay they did a good job on keeping them clean ( they did vacume everyday) but you never knew when they would come. One day it was almost around 3:00 another around 9:30am. On checkout day it felt like we where being pushed out the door and we were leaving early 8:00 to 8:30. in fact hey were in the unit it staring to clean while I was still using the bathroom.

Grounds, well kept pool areas and they did their best to keep th towels full. The hotel had several nice water areas with pools hot tubs(4), lazy rivers (1 small outdoor and 1 large indoor) two outside pools and three inside pools tow set up as activity pools (basketball). There were 2 splash areas for smalll kids and 2 water slides that while they held adults were set for small children. But there was a huge amount of kids running and jumping all over including the lazy river. This was no hotle supervision of this and of course no parent to be found. Why these chilren have to jump in and out of a lazy river with a hu8ge ocean and many pools was beyond me mand very upsetting.

beach, great. This thing about the life guards and where you can set up was beyond me. We did not try as it was a matter of walking about 25 feet to get past them anyway and on several days we saw others who had set up in front of the town chairs.

Food, did not eat at the resturants nor drink at the bars.

Overall we would not go back. While the extra pool amenities were nice, the size and condition of the unit would stop us from coming back.

Reviewed August 25, 2008

We just recently returned from a five-day stay at this resort. Overall, we were very pleased. The rooms were well appointed and spacious. They were also quiet. I did not notice any noise from other rooms and this hotel is very family friendly. The rooms and hotel were pretty clean (hard to keep a family-style place clean all the time).

The indoor and outdoor pools are very nice and our younger kids loved them. The beach is nice and the hotel is located not far from Broadway at the Beach and other Myrtle Beach attractions.

I would recommend that you do NOT show up right at check-in time... it is pretty crazy and the cars line up into the street. Save yourself some stress and show up one hour later at 4. Check in and check out was pretty easy--no surprises. Staff was friendly and helpful, too.

I would go back again without hesitation.

1  Thank surrounded_by_girls