“Hospitality and service”

Ranked #8 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Grand Island, New York
“Hospitality and service”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We didn't stay at the Dunes but took a shot at the bar for happy hour and found the service and hospitality of Erica and the entire staff (sorry couldn't remember their names) treated us with nothing short of excellent. We had finger foods one night and dinner the next night and the service and quality of the food was more than we hoped for. We just wished we would of found out about the happy hour at the Dunes earlier in the week. Thanks Erica and others and we are looking forward to seeing you next year.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
It is so great to hear that our team here at Dunes Village Resort made you feel welcome, and they took great care of your needs. We appreciate you coming in and trying us out. Our staff here is the best on the beach. Hospitality is in our blood. We WANT you to enjoy your time here, whether it is for a snack at the bar, or a month long hiatus from reality, we are here to help you make memories and have fun.

We hope your next journey to Myrtle Beach brings you back to see us! Until then.....

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,381)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We stay at this property several times per year, and always stay in an Oceanfront King suite. We have always been pleased with the condition of the rooms on each of our stays. Even the sofa bed is comfortable for our daughter. Of course, the breakfast buffet is always great! What a good way to start each vacation day! We even end up missing the breakfasts once we come back home. The pools, cabanas, and lounge chairs are kept in great condition, the beach front is clean, and overall, we always have a good experience. If you want a good, moderately priced property in a good area of Myrtle Beach, with good rooms, good pools, good beach area, this is the place for you.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NancySnow
Your review was just so wonderful! Thank you for taking the time to share your Dunes Village Resort experience with the world. We appreciate all the nice things you had to say, and cannot argue with you! We are a fantastic property filled with a staff that cares, fun things to do, great food to eat, and a fair price for it all! Thanks again for spending your free time with us. We hope to see you soon for some more memory making.
Hundred, West Virginia
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My wife & I have spent several off season months, "November, February & March", at the Dunes Resort and find the accommodations very nice and a great bargain. Anyone seeking to escape the full brunt of winter should look into a month or two in Myrtle Beach at the Dunes. All information is available online. We'll continue to visit there as long as our health allows.

Room Tip: Ocean front King Studio is a great deal for a couple. Plenty of space + a sofa bed if needed. There...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the kind words and wonderful review of Dunes Village Resort. We agree that this is a fantastic place to spend some winter months, as the climate is consistently comfortable, and the resort is full of fun things to do. We have an Activities Director that coordinates wine and cheese parties, pot luck dinners, adult only crafts, and other fun stuff for our "Snowbirds." We love to have you hear, and look forward to many more visits from you. Thanks again for sharing your experience! See you soon.
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I decided I needed a vacation away to relax and wind down. So I found Dunes Village here on TripAdvisor and read the reviews. The price in December was crazy affordable and I couldn't pass up having an indoor water park since it may be pretty cold outside. Pulling into the resort made me feel small and insignificant to these massive towers. I may have even stopped in the middle of the road to look up in awe. The outside is very well managed, the grass and decorations very nicely done.

Walking in the hotel lobby was also an experience. A starbucks, a restaurant, and very nicely done decorations and interior here as well. The staff were all extremely nice and went out of their way to help with whatever I needed. A very surprising experience that I wouldn't have expected from a big chain resort. I was able to check in earlier than expected and, while I had requested the highest floor possible, I was given the 5th floor. I was a bit let down at first, but when I got in the room, the view was still just as perfect as expected.

The room was just a simple OceanFront Studio but it was very clean and seemed updated. It had a kitchenette, full size refrigerator, 2 HDTV's, DVD player, and a very nice oceanfront private balcony. I loved it. It was very nice and quiet, and of course the sound of the waves nearby made it even better. Anytime I had a question and called the front desk, they were very friendly and willing to help out however they could.

I'd say my only complaint, and a very minor one at that, was the parking garage. I like that it was within walking distance, but at night I did have an uneasy feeling especially in the darker areas where you pull your car in and walk out. Also, the parking garage gate does not close until midnight which did have me worrying about whether someone could just walk in and vandalize or even steal things, which thankfully did not happen.

I also was a bit let down that the resort was pretty much on its own little area and there was nowhere really within walking distance (that I could find anyways) such as bars or places to do things. The restaurant inside was already closed when I was ready to go out.

I highly enjoyed the indoor water park. It wasn't too crowded at all, and those 2 adult slides are pretty thrilling. A lot faster than I thought they'd be, and makes me doubt that I'd be able to handle any of those huge water slides at water parks if I could barely handle these lol. The hot tubs were excellent and they even had a nice long hot tub right in the middle that I loved. I only wish I had spent more time there. My only complaint here (which isn't really the resorts fault as it's a problem all over myrtle beach) is that I can't seem to find many hotels that have any pools over 5ft deep. There used to be 8ft deep pools everywhere, but not anymore. I need to dive, not just stand in a pool with water at my chest and wade around lol. But alas, I will continue my search.

Anyways, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, however the water park would likely be crowded in the summer time, and the rates would be much higher. For a quiet early December getaway, it's a definite yes. I will definitely be coming back here again! :)

Room Tip: Definitely choose an Oceanfront room 3rd floor or higher to get the best experience.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
We appreciate all the kind things you had to say about your recent Dunes Village experience. We are grateful for your lovely 5 star review, and hope to continue to show you great vacations every time you come to Myrtle Beach!

Thank you for taking the tmie to share your thoughts. We look forward to seeing you back here again soon! Until then.....
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We have been coming to this hotel(s) on and off for the past 30 years, long before they were reconfigured and built into a so called 'Resort' and had booked two adjoining beach front rooms.

We booked in around 3:15 Sunday afternoon (1 Dec.) and were well pleased with the front desk staffs attitude but the first thing I noticed was the state of the decorative White wooden wall panels next to the office door and how bad the cracked seams looked, NOT a great first impression for a quality 'Resort'...

We were given rooms on the 3rd floor and my brother in law, myself and my wife took the elevator up to the rooms. I opened the door and my wife stepped inside only to be confronted with, closed drapes and a pile of dirty towels stacked in the entrance way, the room was NOT ready for occupancy. I went back to the desk and I was told the room had been reported as cleaned (not my problem, that's yours)....

We were given new rooms on the 4th floor and I had my wife and brother in law move floors and I met them. I was given a small housekeeping credit for this, thank you.

Upon entering the room 442 (ours and 443 for the brother in law) we unloaded our clothes and tried to use the safe but could not because it (door0 was open and the keypad was locked.

I called the desk and about 15 minutes later a technician came and reset the lock, we also pointed out that the balcony door latch did not work and was missing the plastic cover but the security latch above did.. He said he could fix that and would come back, he never did! (se picture)..

That night we noticed the security gate and doors to your parking facility accross the road were not operational, more later.

Day two and we went down to breakfast and discovered there wasn't a buffet as advertised but menu service, result, cold sausages and bacon on all three days, only the eggs and potatoes on my breakfast of choice were hot, obviously the staples are cooked and left to sit in the kitchen. Unacceptable and the reasons for no buffet given were that it was fresher due to the lack of numbers and occupancy of the hotel.. Really?

We came back at 3:20 that afternoon to change before leaving for a meal and a show, room 443 was not cleaned at that point (ours was) so I went to the desk and spoke with the 'General Manager' who happened to be in the desk area.
He informed me that you have until 5 pm to clean the rooms and perhaps his room was at the cutoff point for a different housekeeper.. Funnily enough my brother in law encountered the maid earlier in the morning and during a chat with her she asked if he had just checked in and stated the room wasn't on her list of those she was to clean that day (I'll go with that).... The general manager had the room cleaned while he (brother in law) sat with us in our room. I also confronted him (General manager) about the security of the Garage and was told the doors do not close until midnight?

Are you kidding me?

I gave up addressing anything else with this hotel at that point.
YOU demand we park over there (parking garage) yet don't utilize the very items you installed to help protect our vehicles but of course you do plaster signs all over the walls absolving yourselves for any damages or loss.

Why would you install security locks and roll down gates and not use them until midnight? It gives me the impression you don't care for your guests property or vehicles..
At dark would seem a reasonable compromise to me. It's like putting a garage door on your home and deciding not to use them until midnight, tell that to your insurance company if you suffer a loss?

Finally the ceilings in our room were very badly painted in the bedroom area, it looked like a bad tempered child was let loose with a paint roller (see picture)..

A ceiling water stain got larger day by day in the transitional area by the single sink/closet area (see picture). On the last day a core of plaster fell out of the ceiling on to one of our suitcases, obviously it had been poorly repaired before?

The tile surrounding the tub was GROSS!
Who in their right mind thinks you can hide MOLD by wiping a finger full of Caulk over it to try and hide it? (see picture)..

And the box spring cover on one of the beds was torn and dirty (picture.)..

The only complaint from my brother law who chose not to share it with me until right before check out was, he was unable to obtain anything but tepid water in the shower for the entire stay, could possibly a valve mixture issue?.

This is a sad situation.. We have been loyal customers for almost 30 years, sometimes staying two and three times per season. Only in December for the past few years however.

Your standards are abysmal and are to me unacceptable, you cannot continue to work on the outside and neglect the rooms.

The first 30 minutes after arriving in ANY hotel will either make your stay wonderful or one full of regrets. The latter in our case.
Your housekeeping supervision is woefully inadequate and the engineering staff/ repair crews almost laughable. This is certainly NOT looking after the investment of the owners.

Nice new carpet in the room but it draws attention to rest of the lacking detail.

There are so many other hotels outside of the Hoffman Group with the same facilities at this time of year and that will be our first area of choice next year.

Keith Frape.

Room Tip: Obviously beach front location and so beach front rooms are the best. Check the ceilings for wate...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Keith F
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Dunes Village Resort. It pains me to hear that the condition of your room was not wonderful, as it has been for the last 30 years. When we fall short, we appreciate the feedback that allows us to see where we can improve and grow. You know from your many visits here that this is not the standard that Dunes Village Resort holds dear, and I am truly sorry that this is the experience you had. We have every intention of addressing these areas.

We sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you the resort you have held so fondly in your heart for so many years. If I can help you in any way, please feel free to contact me. I can be reached at 843.449.5275 most days.

Cari Garvey
Guest Services Manager
Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

We decided last minute to head to Dunes Village for a couple days over Thanksgiving. We had been there twice before so we knew it's a great cold weather break. We had an oceanfront queen in the second tower and it was huge. Even though there were 2 queens, my kid insisted on the folding Murphy bed instead. Don't really think of this as a hotel room; it was a fully equipped condo with full kitchen and washer and dryer. I was afraid the water parks may be packed due to the holiday but it wasn't bad at all. I wouldn't call this an all-day water park, but it's definitely fun.

The hotel seems to be far enough north that it's not in the full-on tourist zone of Myrtle Beach. We weren't too impressed with the dining last time at Dunes Village so this time we ate elsewhere--the Captain's House gets high marks.

We will definitely return to Dunes Village in the future.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank MLNC
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of Dunes Village Resort! We appreciate the 5 star review you offered, and we are glad that you had an enjoyable visit with us!

I am not sure of the last time you were here, but I can assure you that our Executive Chef has received nothing but rave reviews on her food since she joined our team, so next time you come in, hopefully you will give the Cafe another try.

We hope to see you back here again soon. Thanks again for the awesome review!
Clifton, Virginia
Reviewed December 4, 2013

The indoor waterpark and beachfront pirate themed playground make this resort the best place in Myrtle for kids to stay! The rooms are spacious, updated, and clean. Our room included a murphy bed which was perfect to fit everyone in but not be cramped during the day. The staff at this resort are extremely friendly. Parking is located in a garage across the street but with the reasonably priced in-house restaurants we didn't find the need to leave often.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
We could not agree with you more with regard toDunes Village Resort being such a "Kid Friendly" place. We have plenty for kids to do, all year long. With 30,000 square feet of water features including 4 slides that are made for adults as well, you have gallons of fun at your disposal. Plus, we have year round planned crafts and games to entertain, along with that awesome pirate ship playground you mentioned! Many other options round out our resort, so it is hard to imagine anyone getting bored here.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your 5 star experience with the world. We cannot wait to have you back again soon!