“Up & Down emotions”

Dunes Village Resort
Ranked #8 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Let me start by saying that our room was given away to someone else even though I paid for my reservation 2 months in advance. Our original room was an Oceanfront room with an extended balcony. Having our 3 Children with us, we thought the extra balcony space would be great. So of course I wanted what we had booked. They gave me an excuse that our room was " with a leak." I say an excuse because as I said that, a guest that was checking in turned to me and said, " They used the exact same excuse on us last year! " Being our first stay at this property, it definitely put a damper on our vacation right at the beginning. Also, I wasn't to pleased by the fact that I had to request that the manager on duty come out of the office instead of throwing the front desk lady " Under the Bus! " After about 20 minutes, SHE FINALLY EMERGED. After speaking with her for another 15 minutes, she called in another manager to " handle " the situation. Needless to say, by this time I'm frustrated. My family has been waiting out in the hot sun for 45 minutes and now me and the misses get at odds because she just wants us to get the family settled. So not only is the room status messed up. Now me and the wife are upset because of this. To make this long story short, they finally offered us a room upgrade at a discount. And they reimbursed me for one day of the Breakfast Buffet I had paid for in advance. The room was great! Nice & Clean. Great view of the Ocean and Downtown Myrtle Beach, Even from our Master bedroom! The facilities as reported in other reviews, are a little bit dated but we still enjoyed them. The location is great! The indoor Waterpark was great. Especially when it rains. THE KIDS LOVED IT! Breakfast Buffet is a must! Access to the Beach great! Parking ehh, And the Kids activities are pretty basic. The front desk lady named Tanya was very helpful during our stay :) and after all was said and done, we had a nice time. For the price it should have been better. Finally, we decided to stay an extra night. To do so we had to change our room. Wasn't happy about that but agreed for the children's sake. This room was The epitome of all that was said bad about other rooms. Burns in the rugs. Hair in the bathrooms. And the appliances were a bit beat up. Especially the fridge. Also we had ceiling fans & a Toaster in the previous room. With all being said, we would consider returning again under the right circumstances. We hope this review was helpful. Just keeping it honest. Thank you :) ps, stay in a room on the outer side of the building on a upper level if you want a great view coupled with peace & quiet.

Room Tip: Stay on the outer part of the buildings, on an upper floor for quiet and a exceptional view,
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank DonBaronTurski
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your heartfelt review of Dunes Village Resort. Even with the ups and downs that you experienced, you had an overall great experience here, and we appreciate your honesty.

In truth, pipes spring leaks all the time, carpets get wet, and that makes it impossible for us to give out that room. I am sorry that this happened to your room, but I am glad to hear that the room we accomodated you with was wonderful. The views on the south side are spectacular!

It makes me happy to hear that all-in-all the family enjoyed this vacation, and we certainly hope to see you again. Please let me know if I can personally assist you with anything in the future, as I want nothing but smiles from all my guests.

Cari Garvey
Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (6,093)

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I would recommend this resort to anyone that ask me about Myrtle Beach. For the people that have children I would recommed this resort,
and I would recommend this resort to my church for an outing for the Sunday School children

• Stayed: July 2013
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Dunes Village Resort. We are thrilled to see the 5 star rating you gave us, and glad to know that we fulfilled your expectations.

We are a very family-friendly peoperty, with all the fun things that we have to offer. Kids and parents alike come back year after year yo make more memories, and we hope that will be the case with you and your family.

Hope to see you back here soon!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We had a GREAT stay!! Room was clean. The location is great. Our kids ages 11 & 13 had a great time with the pools and water slides. Something for everyone. Because of the variety of pools and water slides there is plenty of room and it does not feel overcrowded at all!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

THank you for taking the time t oreview Dunes Village Resort. With all the water features and additional entertainment we offer, it is great to hear that everyone had some fun!

We appreciate the 5 star rating you offered us, and hope to continue to live up to your expectations on your next visit. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Our family had a wonderful vacation wish we could have stayed longer and maybe have all inclusive next (meal plan) :-)
We would love to come back next year for a longer period of time.Kids had a great time.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your 5 star review of Dunes Village Resort. We appreciate the kind words, and are so glad to hear that a "great time was had by all." That is very important to us, which is why we offer so much. We don't want anyone to walk away feeling anything less than refreshed and ready to tackle the world again.

We hope to see you and your crew back again for some more memories to be made! Hope it is soon!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was my family's second visit to this resort. Family stayed in a two bedroom oceanfront suite located in the Palms Tower (newer building). Prior to our stay I called the resort as a result of reading previous reviews regarding housekeeping and overall cleanliness of the resort. As instructed by a customer service rep., I left a voicemail message for the housekeeping manager. She never returned my call so I followed up by leaving a message for Cari - Guest Service Manager. I expressed my concern regarding the recent reviews and she apologized for the housekeeping manager not returning my call. She also assured me that our room would be in excellent condition and she would personally inspect our unit before our arrival. Upon arrival, check-in was quite chaotic because of the large number of guest arrivals. According to staff, Sunday check-ins are one of their busiest times. One of my biggest complaints was the layout of the condo. After entering the condo, you then traveled down a DARK hallway where the second bedroom was immediately to your right and the kitchen was down a little further to your left. After walking down the narrow hallway, you then entered the main seating area which did have a beautiful view of the ocean. Inspection of the condo cleanliness was satisfactory; however, the master bathroom did have a small area of mold in one corner. Housekeeping provided daily service but I was not completely impressed with the services provided. As indicated by the resort, beds were made, trash was emptied, and some areas (not all) appeared to be vacuumed each day. The glass tables still appeared to be somewhat dusty. We enjoyed the indoor waterparks and location of the property. Staff was very friendly and during our last day, the housekeeping manager stopped by to find out if we were satisfied with housekeeping services. I will agree with several of the other reviews by stating that the property is in need of some updating. More specifically, the elevators and walkways to the condos appear to be somewhat old and dungy looking. Overall, we enjoyed our trip but I think we will be trying another resort during our next visit.

Room Tip: Request an corner ocean front room in the palms tower. The higher up the better the view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of Dunes VIllage Resort. We appreciate the feedback. I apologize for housekeeping not returning your calls, but am glad to hear that you were able to contact Cari (me) to ease your concerns. Your comments regarding the room have been heard, and are being addressed. We are in the process of doing a little remodeling of the rooms, with some new carpet and some new couches, along with an assortment of other small projects. We hope the next time you are here, you will notice the changes. And, we hope that you get back here soon!

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

This hotel had been referred to us by friends who had stayed there numerous years. We were not disappointed. The kids loved the many water activities which variety left little time to get board. We loved the less crowded section of the blvd and had no trouble with traffic around the resort. Our room was not ready at check in and we did have to change rooms after the 1st night of our stay which meant changing towers but we knew that coming in for the dates we needed. We were allowed to stay in our existing room until the next room was ready. I do feel there was room for improvement in the timeframe for having our next room ready but it worked out after about a 4 hour limbo. The staff was nice with the exception of the bar tenders who seemed annoyed by making kids smoothies. Other than that everyone was very nice. The staff member that checked us in remembered my name the remainder of our stay and called me by name when seen which was impressive for the volume of guest in the resort. The 3br/3ba angle oceanfront room we stayed in was spacious, clean and while not oceanfront had an awesome view that did not disappoint. We will be back to stay again and I do highly recommend this resort.

1  Thank Sportsmom1
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Those are the words we like to hear! "Another fabulous family vacation" is our number one goal here at Dunes Village Resort. We appreciate the 5 star rating and look forward to having you and your family back again soon!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Had a problem when we arrived at our destination. There was a terrible odor coming from one of the bedrooms. The housekeeping staff jumped right on it, called maintenance and determined there was moisture and mold under the carpet. Though no one from the front desk ever came in the room to examine the problem and to check on our comfort....the housekeeping staff members were GREAT and the maintenance staff totally eliminated the problem while we moved up six floors for a twenty four hour stay (a little inconvenient/took the things we would need for the night). Staff member TERRILL was wonderful and very accommodating.....Kudos to her and to her supervisor! The service from the HK staff and maintenance was wonderful....folks at front desk were not concerned about the comfort of their guests.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
CariG_DV, Manager at Dunes Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to mention our Maintenance and Housekeeping departments. We count on these 2 departments for keeping up with the cleanliness and upkeep of our property. THey work very hard and are not recognized enough for all their efforts. Thanks for noticing their hard work.

We look fhrward to having you back again. We hope it is soon. THanks again for staying with us!