“GREAT Stay at the DUNES!”

Dunes Village Resort
Ranked #9 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
connecticut
“GREAT Stay at the DUNES!”
Reviewed May 3, 2008

Just got back from the Dunes today, and was not dissapointed. Read the reviews before we booked, and was worried that it was out of the way, etc., but we found that it was a short 5 to 10 minute drive to area attractions.

We had a 1 bedroom Queen oceanfront, which was nice, clean. We didn't spend much time in the room, so might not get ocean front next time we go, but was cheap enough, and what a view!

Staff was excellent. Pools were great, beach clean, just beautiful.
I got dropped off with the 2 sleepy children at night, and hubby
parked across street, really wasn't that big of a deal. We will be sure to return to the Dunes!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,415)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
south carolina
Reviewed May 3, 2008

This place is absolutely wonderful. My kids wanted to live there LOL. The service and staff were great. Very clean and beautiful facility. Will come here every year. Thanks!

• Liked — indoor waterpark
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed May 1, 2008

The Dunes Village Resort is definitely one of the nicest places I have ever stayed at. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The grounds are very clean and inviting. The room was a lot nicer than I had expected (based on online reviews (not negative) and pictures. Very clean, 3 balcony's, flat screen TV's everywhere, comfortable beds, clean bathrooms, etc... My family owns a condo in Myrtle Beach, but I have a feeling I will be staying at this place again!

• Liked — 3 Balcony's, 5 flat screen TV's and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008
1 Thank EMestizo
ontario
Reviewed April 28, 2008

We just returned from our stay at the Dunes and loved it. I don't even know where to begin. We got to the hotel just before the check-in rush began so we didn't have to wait too long. But it got really busy shortly after that. The room was fabulous. 3 bedroom angle ocean front on the 14th floor. What a view. We have been to myrtle beach many times over the years but I have to say this was one of the best views we have had.

I have 4 children ages 4 - 12 and they loved everything. The indoor waterparks in both buildings, the outdoor pools and lazy river as well as the beach. More than enough to entertain the children. The kitchen in the room was well stocked. We ate in every night but one and it was easy enough to do so. The washer and dryer are a real plus at the end of the day when everyone is full of sand ......... just throw everything in and it is clean for the next day. 3 bathrooms ........ one with a jacuzzi tub we really were spoiled. All of the staff was friendly and our cleaning lady did a fantastic job.

The only inconveniences were the parking garage being across the street. Made it kind of difficult the day we bought groceries. My husband left us at the front of the hotel with the groceries while he went to park the car across the street. And yes like others have said before me be careful crossing ocean blvd. from the garage it can be tricky.

I also found the hotel difficult to navigate. There are 3 sets of elevators and depending on where your room is determines which set you use. We were on the south side of the palmetto tower so we actually had to go outside the main reception area and down a ramp or flight of stairs to get to our elevator. If we were in the indoor pool we also had to do the same. Kind of uncomfortable if it was cool outside. The palms indoor pool was just as incovenient because they were paving the walk way between the two buildings and had it all blocked off. So you had to either go via the beach or the main sidewalk out front. When we were leaving it looked like they were almost finished with the paving so I am sure it will be open soon.

All in all had a fabulous time and can't wait to go back next year !!!

• Liked — room with a view
  • Disliked — layout of the hotel
1 Thank ilovemb
NC
Reviewed April 27, 2008

We stayed at this hotel on a weekend get away. I love this hotel, it is one of the newer model hotels in the area. We got a great price and the rooms were great. The hotel has one of the best indoor heated water parks i have been to. I would stay here again, and next time i will bring friends.

• Liked — Indoor waterpark
  • Disliked — Manger was not a people person
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Glen Rock, New Jersey
Reviewed April 26, 2008

I enjoyed every day of my stay (April 15-25) with my wife and two children -- my 6 year old daughter was always busy -- swimming pool, beach, ocean, other Myrtle Beach attractions. To avoid repeating other posts I will summarize few positive and negative points.

+ You got children 5 to 15 and need a vacation spot where they can be entirely on their own for the most part of the day? Go Dunes Village!
+ You want to sleep with balcony doors open to listen to the surf sounds any time during the night? Like fresh and warm ocean air? Go there!

- BAD sound isolation -- any door closed, any child scream outside - you or, even worse, your just nursed to sleep baby will wake up. Bring you WD40 with you - squeaky bedroom doors were another part of the problem.

- The room layout of living area facing the beach, bedroom to the opposite side -- Oceanside Queen suite -- aggravates the sound problem. Only after I started to sleep in the living area bed I had the luxury of the ocean view and surf sounds during the night.

- WiFi does not work outside the lobby area -- but bring or buy an ETHERNET CABLE - and you will have a very fast and free connection in room. The ethernet sockets besides phone sockets are powered and provide the same network as in the lobby area.

Will I stay at the Dunes Village again? Perhaps.
Will I recommend it to my friends with children? Most definitely.

-A.

• Liked — ocean view, room size, value, indoor aquapark 9am-11pm, speedy check-in and check-out
  • Disliked — no sound isolation, room layout, parking across a 4-lane street with no marked crossings
1 Thank AnatolyM
New Haven, Indiana
Reviewed April 26, 2008

Our family recently returned from Spring break at the Dunes Village in Myrtle beach. Having never been to the area we were relying on the advice of online sites to steer us to a good location. This was probably in the top 2 places we have ever stayed. The condo was extremely nice. It was VERY clean which is a huge priority to me! The view was magnficient. With the in house kitchen (dishwasher microwave stove fridge dishes/pans etc)and laundry we could have easily just stayed at the condo the whole time. We had a 2 bedroom 2 bath ocean view which had 3 patio dooors with a wrap balcony overlooking the ocean/beach. We had 3 flat screen tvs with DVD players and in room free high speed internet. The master bath was larger than the one in my house and was decorated very nice. The housekeeping leaves cool towel origami which our daughter loved! The outdoor pool was really nice and the indoor waterpark was really neat for kids. Since you can go between the 2 towers there is a lot of variety. They had some issues with the lazy river which required it to be drained but it was filled the next day although it appeared to have alot of sand (I think)in it so we did not get in. The online booking was not working so we called by phone to book and the staff was very helpful and answered all of our questions. We did request an email confirmation 3 times and never did receive it. We will definitely return for another vacation to this place. One note it is a little confusing that there are 2 towers when you book. the Palmetto is the "older" tower and the "Palms" (where we stayed) is the newer tower. The Palmetto has the main check in desk/ restaurant/gift shop but the Palms has 24hour staff and a newer facility with an awesome breakfast buffet. Highly recommend!

• Liked — Spectacular room, clean and away from busy area.
  • Disliked — We had to leave?
1 Thank mullettia